Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-10-2007, 08:36 PM
Active Pup

Thanks for all the suggestions. Oh and there is a lab rescue somewhat near me.
Old 06-10-2007, 09:09 PM
Fishies!

Yes, labs, or goldens, or maybe a chessie (with caution).

One thats 2-3 years old will calm down considerably from the puppy stage yet still be willing to play all day. Young ones and puppies can be VERY hyper, but so can most puppies.

The retrievers were originally bred to be active, but also able to sit around all day waiting for ducks to fly over, whereas the pointers and cattle dogs are the opposite, constantly out working the cover or the cows.

I've seen a GSP that was extremely active at 10 years old! My uncle has a GSP "herding dog" mix that would have run his 3 ACRE yard all day during its first 5 years. Its slowed down a bit in its age, now, but it can still run. It also ran circles around their lab...
Old 06-10-2007, 11:57 PM
BusterLove

i havn't met any GSP's yet, but their one of my favourite breeds. their both bred to work long hours.

i've found with buster, eventhough he's a mix (probably with kelpie so same sort of dog) he can have limitless energy if you ask, but if not, he doesn't use it. he's an energy conserver, he can go all day if you want him to but won't otherwise.

ACD's were bred to run up to 50kms a day remember.

Old 06-11-2007, 12:58 AM
Rebel With Cause

ACD's don't seem to be what you are looking for. I have not met a laid back model yet. They are notorious for getting into mischief if they are bored. Take my two monsters ( please) lol just kidding. But seriously they are dogs that need to be doing something all the time .
Old 06-11-2007, 08:33 AM
Active Pup

Yeah I think you all are right, an ACD is probably not the best match for me. I will keep looking, thanks you all your help
Old 06-11-2007, 12:04 PM
Top Dog

try:

labrador
boxer
australian shepherd
american pit bull terrier

or mixes of any of those breeds.

those are all active but not hyper breeds, very common in shelters and rescues, and seem to be the size you're looking for.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-11-2007, 12:06 PM
Who woulda thought <3

If you go with a lab or a lab mix, I would try to find an older adult...all the labs I know are very active..and I know Chloe my gsd/lab mix is very active and always has to be doing something....
Old 06-13-2007, 02:15 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by milos_mommy View Post
try:

labrador
boxer
australian shepherd
american pit bull terrier

or mixes of any of those breeds.

those are all active but not hyper breeds, very common in shelters and rescues, and seem to be the size you're looking for.
I love APBT's but of course they are banned here in some parts of colorado I cant stand it, but that is a whole different story that I wont get into (or at least right now).

But yeah this may sound a little off topic,seeing as I wanted a playful larger breed, but I went to a shelter today to look around, and I saw a 15 lb Bichon Frise/ West Highland White Terrier mix, he was awesome. He is 4-5 years old. When I saw him I thought that he would be a great dog for us, since it has been awhile since we have had a dog. But what do you think?

I am doing research on both breeds, but it will probably to hard to get him, seeing as he seems like a great dog, he will get adopted fast, and my family and I dont want to rush into this.
Old 06-13-2007, 02:37 PM
Dog Show Addict

I've seen Bichons and Westies in Agility competitions over here!

They are cute little dogs and a rescue would be awesome!

I've also seen Bichons in Obedience work over here as well as RallyO!

They are active little dogs and do need exercise, most are very playful as well.

Take the little guy out for a walk and see how he like him.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-13-2007, 04:55 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtime View Post
I love APBT's but of course they are banned here in some parts of colorado I cant stand it, but that is a whole different story that I wont get into (or at least right now).

But yeah this may sound a little off topic,seeing as I wanted a playful larger breed, but I went to a shelter today to look around, and I saw a 15 lb Bichon Frise/ West Highland White Terrier mix, he was awesome. He is 4-5 years old. When I saw him I thought that he would be a great dog for us, since it has been awhile since we have had a dog. But what do you think?

I am doing research on both breeds, but it will probably to hard to get him, seeing as he seems like a great dog, he will get adopted fast, and my family and I dont want to rush into this.
That would be a great match for you! Westies are more active, but Bichons are meant to be companions. I think a dog of this mix would be a nice medium between the two. And since it's an older dog, he's already past his puppy hyper-hyper-hyper phase.