Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-09-2007, 09:40 PM
Active Pup

Default energy levels of....

Hey I was wondering is a a big difference between Australian Cattle Dogs, and German Shorthaired Pointers when it comes to their energy levels? Im looking for a dog that is playful, but does not run around the house wanting to play 24/7. And would age be a big factor? For example how much more energy would a 1 year old Australian Cattle Dog have over a 5 year old German Shorthaird Pointer?
Thanks
Old 06-09-2007, 09:43 PM
Top Dog

Not sure, but you will get the answer here. Welcome to Chaz.
Old 06-09-2007, 09:51 PM
Active Pup

Thanks!
Old 06-09-2007, 10:37 PM
and Spy.

I know ACD's and GSP's are both high energy dogs. From the sounds of it they will both be too energetic for you.

Perhaps you should look into some less energetic breeds?

If you tell us more about yourself we may be able to better match you to a breed.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-10-2007, 12:44 AM
Feelin' Froggy? Jump!

Cattle dogs are active pretty much all of the day, or atleast the one I have and the other 1 I use to have were. Kodak is way more active than my last one, but both were in need of something to do almost all day. If your looking for a couch potatoe, or a dog that will run on only maybe 2-3 hrs of play a day, ACD is def. not for you. I have even met cattle dogs 8, 9 yrs old who would rather chase the ball for hours than lay and enjoy being older haha.

"Friendship is like someone peeing on you, everyone can see it, but only you get the warm feeling that it brings"

"Never take life seriously. No one ever gets out of it alive"

"You tried your best and you failed miserably. The lesson is, "never try" ."
Old 06-10-2007, 08:15 AM
Bored Now.

Yeah.. if you don't want a high-energy dog, neither of those breeds are probably for you.
Old 06-10-2007, 02:56 PM
Active Pup

Oh ok, well what would you like to know? I have a medium-large backyard, and will be able to provide daily walks, and play several hours each day (some days more than others). There are 4 people in my family two who are children and they are who are 15 and 10. I want a medium-large breed (rather have a large dog). Oh and I do have 2 small birds (budgies).

It would be kind of hard to tell me what breed to get because I am looking to rescue a dog. I mean there are breed specific rescues where I live, so there is that option.

Please tell me what else you would like to know
Old 06-10-2007, 06:55 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
It would be kind of hard to tell me what breed to get because I am looking to rescue a dog.
Good for you! I had a wonderful experience doing rescue, and am amazed by the fantastic dogs that are just sitting out there, waiting for a home.

Have you found a rescue or shelter to work with? At least in my area, the private rescues are often more helpful than the shelters as far as evaluating dogs. It may be worth your while to contact one or two rescues in your area, and let them know what you are looking for with size, age, energy level, etc. That way, they can help you find the right dog.

I can spend hours happily looking at various breeds and deciding which I would like to own, but remember, many dogs defy their breed's sterotypes. Reading through the traits of a Mountain Cur, I never would have thought to go out looking for one, but Meg came along, and was everything I wanted. A rescue that does a good job of temperment testing and evaluation will be able to steer you in the right direction.

Welcome to the board, and good luck!

Old 06-10-2007, 07:49 PM
Top Dog

mixed breed? go to petfinder. or if you want to tell us the area where you live, we could definately help you look.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 06-10-2007, 08:03 PM
Top Dog

What about a Lab? There are thousands of them in shelters looking for homes, and a lot of times they are puppies.