Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Forum News > Member Introductions

Old 06-08-2007, 07:56 PM
Active Pup

Default Hello!

I've been using this forum for about a month, but I never properly introduced myself. My boyfriend and I just got a Yorkshire Terrier named Winston, so we need plenty of advise and help! Although we watch "The Dog Whisperer" religiously, you can always use more...
Old 06-08-2007, 08:17 PM
Top Dog

Hi and welcome to Chazhound! I'd love to see some pics of your yorkie. Most of us here are not fans of the dog whisperer to put it lightly. He is way too harsh for me! I'm sure you'll learn a lot here and I hope you enjoy the forum

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Welcome Would love to see pics
Old 06-08-2007, 08:31 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Welcome to Chazhound!
I agree with Maxy... There is lots to learn here

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 06-08-2007, 08:50 PM
swimming upstream

welcome!
Old 06-08-2007, 09:52 PM
Active Pup

Quote:
Most of us here are not fans of the dog whisperer to put it lightly. He is way too harsh for me!
Cesar Millan doesn't verbally or physically punish dogs, though. I don't understand what's harsh about his methods. Is there something I haven't heard about that he does? Or is it just that most people on this forum tend to disagree with the whole "pack psychology" theory? I know that he made a name for himself rehabilitating particularly violent dogs that come from less managable breeds without using physical force.

Also - I can't find my USB camera cord, so I don't have current pictures. I'll try to rifle around and find it and post some soon, though...
Old 06-09-2007, 06:01 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laverne View Post
Cesar Millan doesn't verbally or physically punish dogs, though. I don't understand what's harsh about his methods. Is there something I haven't heard about that he does? Or is it just that most people on this forum tend to disagree with the whole "pack psychology" theory? I know that he made a name for himself rehabilitating particularly violent dogs that come from less managable breeds without using physical force.

Also - I can't find my USB camera cord, so I don't have current pictures. I'll try to rifle around and find it and post some soon, though...
People seem to either love him or hate him. I watch his show, I don't agree with everything he does but I think he can do somethings incredibly. Alot of people on Chaz seem to not like him but I tend to form my own opinion of things and not jump on a bandwagon of sorts. I am on another forum who love him and some hate him. I don't see him as "abusive" either, But like I am saying I don't love him...... nor do I hate him.... did you get all that LOL!!! Anyways, Welcome to Chaz! I hope you enjoy your stay, your pup is adorable!
Old 06-09-2007, 06:10 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Cesar Millan doesn't verbally or physically punish dogs, though.
I believe he does, not every time, but often. He is always jabbing them in the neck with his fingers and rolling them on their back (the alpha roll) forcing them to submit to him (do NOT try at home). Some of us go with the pack theory others don't but we mostly all agree we are not dogs and our dogs do not see us as such so "biting" and forcing him to roll on his back as other dogs would do is not what we should be doing to train them to listen to us. I am of course not saying you are wrong in watching him, your training techniques are yours but I would never do much of what he does, and do not recommend it. I also believe I have heard that off the camera he is somewhat different with the dogs and uses less force but whether or not that is true I don't know. Also what one person sees as physical force another does not. I think alpha rolling is very much physical force but someone else might only see hitting as such. He uses a lot of choke and prong collars and instead of really teaching the dog I notice he just makes him scared to do much. Stick around and you will learn more about how we feel on this stuff, I'm sure you'll enjoy it here. But I beg you don't start another thread on Cesar/dog Whisperer, we have plenty. If you do a search for his name or the show you will find plenty. ONc you see both sides you can form your own opinion

I am a purely positive trainer (not professional or anything) and find if you can train a dog without physical pain and fear then why not do it?

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-09-2007, 09:24 AM
Top Dog

Hi and welcome to Chaz .
Old 06-09-2007, 03:36 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Welcome to the forum

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep