Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-07-2007, 09:41 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Thinking of changing food...

Hello,
I have a 6 month old lab mix that I rescued from a shelter. This is my first time owning a dog, and at the shelter she was being given Purina Puppy chow. Now, I knew enough to recognize that this was cr*p, and the vet told us to use Eukanuba. This is what we have been feeding. I recently noticed that she is really blowing her coat. Thinking that maybe this was stress from her recent spay/having to stay inside more, I did some research and found that it could be that Eukanuba is a lower quality food. This was suprising, since the difference in price between Eukanuba and Puppy chow is so significant!

What would you say is the best food for a puppy? She was 38lbs at 5.5 months, if this helps.

Also, information about prices would be useful as well.

(I did a search on this board but couldn't find conclusive results.)

Thanks,
Elektrasmom
Old 06-07-2007, 09:51 AM
I run with scissors

I feed Canidae. I have found that it is the cheapest high quality food so it is a good balance between price and quality. I pay $24 for a 20lb bag, but others on here have remarked that they find it much cheaper. I guess it depends on where you are.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 06-07-2007, 10:03 AM
Mom of Two

I'd like to know this too... I've never seen Canidae, Baxter (11 weeks, 3.5pounds) has been eating Iams Puppy... but I just read in another thread that this is crap... anything I can start making myself for the little guy or is it too early?

Baxter at 7 weeks
Old 06-07-2007, 10:12 AM
I run with scissors

Yes, Iams is crap too. Glad you are both thinking of switching. I used to feed Iams until I learned better. You should both check out www.dogfoodproject.com

Katt, I don't know anything about homemade diets but a lot of people on here do it so hopefully someone will chime in.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 06-07-2007, 11:03 AM
Top Dog

here is the store locater for Canidae, thy have it in Canada to, just go to the bottom of the page and click on the Canadian flag. http://www.canidae.com/company/storelocator.html

I also think this is a wonderful food and plan on feeding it to my future dogs. there are other good ones but this has the best price of them.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-07-2007, 11:12 AM
Lord Cynical

I also recommend the Canidae. It's a quality food, inexpensive, relatively easy to find, the company is personable and supportive... and their food (except for Platinum) is all-life-stages.

I keep a bit of Eukamuba (or, as I call it, Puke-a-Nooba) on hand for when Ronin goes to shows. He eats Euk. Small Breed Puppy at shows because it's very high in calories, small kibbles (which he likes - he gets picky at shows) and easy for my handler to find if he runs out of it. But I don't feed it as a normal thing.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 06-07-2007, 11:49 AM
Mom of Two

yay, I found a Pet Value that sells it right around the corner from my work

Baxter at 7 weeks
Old 06-07-2007, 12:10 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
yay, I found a Pet Value that sells it right around the corner from my work
I'm glad you are going to change!
Old 06-07-2007, 12:20 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Woohoo! I'm so glad you've found a place with great dog food.
Old 06-07-2007, 06:09 PM
Top Dog

I've had excellent success with Canidae (Lamb & Rice). We just switched our dogs to it not overly long ago, and I am very impressed. In fact, I don't think they have ever looked better and their breath is better on this food than it has been on any other too. I would definitely recommend it to anyone.