Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-06-2007, 05:37 PM
Island dweller

Out of all my dogs Maverick (newfie) is the most social. He loves EVERY dog. Hands down. He prefers other dogs to people I think. lol My GSD crossess are also very social but they can also be protective of me where other dogs are concerned. Mikey will accept dogs but not very easily. He likes to play on neutral territory but they better not try to get my attention!
Old 06-06-2007, 07:03 PM
Top Dog

Socialziation can help control behior issues such as DA, but it cannot change them. It's just like trying to change the color of your dog's coat.

As for breeds less likely to have a majority of DA dogs (remember, ALL breeds have DA dogs within the ranks), someone already brought up those that were bred to work in packs or teams. Scenthounds do quite well with other dogs (i.e. Beagles, Am. Foxhounds, Eng. Foxhounds, Bassetts, etc.). Sledding breeds do well also.

With my experience with labs & the like, I'm seeing a much higher incidence of DA within the breed.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:12 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

I think neutering before maturity, lots of socialization among other dogs, and training help any dog to be dog-friendly. Even dogs known for great temperments with other dogs can become agitated or aggressive to other dogs. I know Rocket and Charlie are fine together, but add a strange dog to the mix, and there would be a small chance Charlie would end up in a fight, I really think this is a large part due to him being intact. And he will be getting neutered as soon as we get moved!
Rocket gets snappy with other strange dogs, but only if they get to close to us or the kids. She is not a dog fighter though...just gives a warning.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:30 PM
Top Dog

As for breeds that (as a generalization) are fairly dog-friendly, I'd say: Cocker Spaniels, Foxhounds, Mastiffs, Bassets, Beagles, Berneses, Bichons, Corgis, Cavaliers, Collies, Dachshunds, Setters, Springers, Goldens, Greyhounds, Wolfhounds, Lhasas, Poodles, Newfies, Retrievers (most), Shelties, Huskies, and Westies.

Now, this is from my own experience, and again, this is a generalization...just because I've never met a DA Poodle doesn't mean there isn't one out there.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat
Old 06-06-2007, 09:46 PM
Your Mom

Greyhounds should be pretty dog friendly . . . though the ones I know are half and half. Why? Because Greyhounds are heavily socialized their whole lives . . . with other Greyhounds. Many Greys can't figure out what other breeds of dogs are, thus have a fear-based DA towards them. Some of my friends' Greys are so severely DA that even a Whippet is a dog to take offense at.

But what I wonder with these dogs is if they were socialized differently once off the track would they have a far lesser level of DA . . .

Alapahas are supposed to be relatively dog friendly, especially for a bulldog breed. But as always, I am skeptical of any bully breeds being considered dog friendly. But I have yet to meet an Alapaha that is DA . . . and yes, every single Alapaha I've met has been intact.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-07-2007, 07:42 AM
Dog Show Addict

I'd be careful with Terriers..

I've only met a handful of terriers that are 100***37; dog friendly..
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 06-07-2007, 08:33 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot View Post

I've only met a handful of terriers that are 100% dog friendly..
You're so true. Miakoda, an APBT, carries a scar on her nose from being attacked by my former 13 lb 15 yr old Cairn Terrier. My Cairn did NOT like other dogs, she did NOT want other dogs in the house, & she let her displeasure be known very well.
Old 06-07-2007, 09:22 AM
Squishy face

Quote:
Originally Posted by SummerRiot View Post

I've only met a handful of terriers that are 100% dog friendly..
Benji, my terrier, is dog friendly, but in certain situations he WILL put up a front with other dogs. He's very feisty that way. Although the trips to doggie daycare have helped with his socialization a lot. We think Benji is a schnauzer/dachshund mix. Both breeds are known to be feisty with other dogs.

I went to a dog show the other week, and the ONLY dog I heard get snarky with other dogs was a standard schnauzer.

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 06-07-2007, 09:40 AM
Big Dog

Well, I'll tell you, I second whoever said that the scent-hounds are great dog-friendly breeds. I have a little basset hound girl, Rita, and she's very docile, and loves other dogs, cats, children, people of all ages and gender. Same with my golden retriever, Melvin. This is just me speaking from my limited experience...but I can tell you I will always have a basset hound in my pack.

However, that being said, we did work hard with both dogs on their socialization to other dogs, cats, etc. Any breed can become dog-aggressive if improperly socialized.
Old 06-11-2007, 04:32 AM
Harumph™©®

Tosca is not dog aggressive, nor is she cat aggressive. This was one of the criteria I used in selecting a dog.