Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-15-2007, 07:56 AM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Quote:
Originally Posted by gdsgregory View Post
With the greatest respect- to compare a Fila to a Chihuaha is ridiculous and totally irresponsible and it will end in tears.
There is no place for a Fila in a typical city / urban environment with an average owner and while I love my gentle (to us) loving beautiful guys I would never consider having one if my living situation was different.
Because this keeps getting brought up... the whole chi thing... obviously I was kidding. No one in there right mind would compare the two animals. I said that to make a point and others have taken it a bit far, lol.

There is a place for a Fila in a typical city/urban environment with the right owner. You may feel your justified to have an attack dog, well I am justified to have my sweet Bella currently Velcro-ed to my side and in any situation, we will always have a fila... faithful, devoted, loving dogs these are even though some wish to paint them as monsters.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
The intelligence and discernment factors in these dogs are staggering. They understand where they are, who they are with, and what is expected of them. And, to a great extent, they reflect their owners.
We are going to have one mushy, cuddly, teddy bear-like fila on our hands!

Old 06-15-2007, 08:34 AM
Felurian

Quote:
We are going to have one mushy, cuddly, teddy bear-like fila on our hands!
HA! You and Mit both have a very protective, defensive side when it comes to your family (and I don't necessarily mean DNA type family).

Oddly, Kharma is less stressed and more stimulated in an urban environment. No cows, for one thing, lol . . . and it keeps her mentally stimulated and interested in ways that being in the country can't. But I surely wouldn't put a Fila in the hands of most people - urban or rural, and not just because of how they need to be handled; mainly because of how they need to be loved.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-15-2007, 08:53 AM
CASSA

Internet cut and pasting does NOT equal in person hands on knowledge.

I Know Linda Raimey for 10 years in person a 100lbs woman who raises Fila with toddlers and now kids.

I also know Tina Neville and Cynthia Webb WELl

Her dogs are well behaved and protective.

http://www.planetmolosser.com/galler...k.php?file=135

Filas are not for everyone yes.
Filas can live in cities tons do most are great owners.

Truth is getting a FIla brings more responceabilty thus good owners go out of the way to take precautions.

When many little dogs owners or lab or shep owners say ahhhh he is just acting up at their dog LUNGES for you and bites you.

Why its a lab why train it or socialize it .

Catch 22.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 06-15-2007, 10:26 AM
House Of Jurai

Promoting the Fila as a non-biting breed is incorrect and irresponsible. Period.
Old 06-15-2007, 10:41 AM
Felurian

There is no such thing as a non-biting breed No one here is promoting the Fila as such.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-15-2007, 10:45 AM
CASSA

Correct but no one is promoting them .
A term used to make sales which is clearly not the case.

It is also INCORRECT To speak of them on PUBLIC boards in such a manner that could cause the breed damage thru BSL.
When BSL promoters visit the board and assume what they read from NON experts as facts.

A common place in between these 2 factions is desirable for any fancier.

But I will take a fancier someone dedicated to the breed over assumptions made on net education any day.
You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life. ~ Winston Churchill
[B[/B].
Old 06-15-2007, 10:51 AM
Felurian

Oh, I see so much idiocy and posturing and general crap on the Fila boards and the Fila sites anymore . . . I don't even bother with them anymore. I know what I know from living with the critters and getting to meet some who actually love and understand these dogs in the very depths of their souls.

I think people like Nikki and Mit can attest to the fact that until you live with a Fila, no amount of reading or talking to people can give you a true idea of the full impact these dogs have on your life, or how truly unique and individual they really are.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-15-2007, 03:40 PM
Felurian

Quote:
They are far from the fastest most agile Molosser, the only negative for novice dog owners is they do NOT bark allot or give much verbal warning.
They are NOT built for speed and are laid back dogs that simply " do watch everything and everyone ".
Not completely accurate from my experience.

Kharma is at least as fast as a large Doberman - and more athletic and agile and has far more flexibility and traction. She can be quite, er, sudden when she feels the need.

Shiva is from Brazillian show lines, and she's not quite as quick, agile or fast as Kharma, but still far better equipped than other large dogs.

As to the watching and waiting, oh, they do that so well. And they are quiet about it. It only makes sense, though, when you consider that Filas have been hunting jaguar for generation after generation.

There isn't much verbal warning. You watch the tail. When that tail is above the line of the back and is stiff the Fila is on alert.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-15-2007, 04:24 PM
CASSA

Well again the Molosser'd I talk of when comparing are coursing mastiff's dogs with much speed, which are smaller in size then a Fila.

So when comparing within the Fila breed show ,work ,cattle dogs -im sure they are variance. That I can only compare to the Fila ive seen and that is not as much as all the Molossers in general.

But when comparing them to Molosser Group 2 FCI they would not rank at the top for speed or agility .
But of course not near the bottom where you find the SM, PM, Mastiff.

They would rank HIGH for power and strenght.

One of the fastest MOLOSSERS ive seen are Anatolian shepherd , Akbash, Kangal. they are clocked keeping time with snow mobiles.
And are used to protect in South Africa from Cheetahs.
[B[/B].
Old 06-15-2007, 05:02 PM
Top Dog

I don't know a whole lot about Filas (a whole lot more now, though), and they sound like Ridgebacks x10!

No one could enter our property when the dogs were loose. No one could enter our property unless we said that it was ok.

When meeting someone new, they would place themselves between us and the new person.

Some we showed in conformation, as long as they had the correct temperament. Others were strictly shown in working capacity.

Ridgebacks were originally bred in Africa (from Mastiffs, Deerhounds, and native African breeds) to guard against lions.

-Rosefern

Proud Trainer, Guardian, and Slave To:
Flicka CGC TT CD TDI NA
Pepe CGC TT CD NA CDX OA
Her Royal Highness Queen Lillian The Cat