Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-06-2007, 10:12 AM
Top Dog

Default Are any breeds still working breeds?

I know there are working and show lines of many breeds, but are there any brreds that are still bred solely to work? Greyhounds maybe? I've never heard of a greyhound breeder that bred for pets. Komodor? Maybe some sort of hound?
Just a thought that occured to me the other day.
Old 05-06-2007, 12:49 PM
Top Dog

I've heard there are working and show Greyhound lines, and that show breeders are actually breeding the working lines into the show line to improve their health. I'm not sure what the actual difference is between the two.
Old 05-06-2007, 01:45 PM
We are Home.

Like Boemy said there are racing and show breeders of Greyhounds. THe show lines are bred solely for their looks while the racing lines are based mostly on the drive and willingness to race.

One breed that is almost soley for work is the Cataloua (sp?) Bulldog.

Advice, most needed, is least heeded- Fortune Cookie

Old 05-06-2007, 01:47 PM
I'm All Ears

Well, one could still argue that racing isn't the greyhound's original working purpose either. They were sighthounds bred to hunt real prey.

I'd think very remote breeds are more likely to remain truest to their original purpose.
Old 05-06-2007, 02:47 PM
Top Dog

Quite a few!

These days nearly any dog can be a working dog, but if you're thinking of traditional working dogs in their traditional roles, the answer is very much, "YES!"

Komondorok are bred here in the U.S. mostly as pets, but plenty of them work, particularly in the midwest and west where there are still flocks of sheep and herds of cattle to guard. There aren't many around as the coat is time consuming and they are still very much guard dogs. Whether they guard your family or your flock, Komondorok always work in their minds.

Here in the northeast many people keep hounds and retrievers for hunting as well as house pets. They do well either way.

Around the world the situation is quite different. In many places outside of the developed world, dogs earn their keep just as they always have. The Laikas of Russia are a great example. Few people keep them here as they make poor house pets, but in Russia they're still used for bear and other game hunting. Salukis still course hares, and herders still herd, even here in the US. There are many, many, breeds of dog we do not hear of here in the US simply because they are still working dogs for their local populations, earning neither fame nor adoration because they either make poor pets or never made the news.

Take a look at the Perro de Pastor Mallorquin. The breed has been around for ages yet it's just another working dog for the people who live in the Balearics. There are hundreds or maybe thousands of breeds like this all over the world, humbly working in anonymity.

There are terriers that still dig too. Go up that list a bit and look at the Patterdale Terrier. It's now a very popular breed in the UK amongst farmers and vermin hunters. The job may not sound important until you lose a steer, horse, or sheep to a leg broken by stepping in a varmint hole.

Here in the US we tend to neglect the usefulness of dogs in their traditional roles. That wasn't always so. Many farmers would have several dogs, each for a purpose. They may have had a herd guardian, a herd shepherd, a terrier, and maybe even a hunting hound. All of them help people in rural areas with their agrarian lifestyles. Here we have agrobusiness instead though many small family farms still keep dogs for exactly the reason they were bred just as their counterparts do all over the world.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 05-06-2007, 03:18 PM
Sit! Good dog.

Patterdales throw up great arguements here between terrier people - the difference between a patterdale and a fell - you don't want to get in the middle of that.
"Dogs are our link to paradise. They do not know jealousy or discontent. To sit with a dog on a hillside on a glorious afternoon is to be back in Eden, where doing nothing wasn't boring, it was peace."

Bodhi is the opposite of ignorance, the insight into reality which destroys mental afflictions and brings peace.

Owned by Bodhi Booglaoo and Fredington Holbein

Old 05-06-2007, 07:16 PM
Snow Girl

Im sure some of the very rare and remote breeds have never stepped foot in a show ring. But there are many breeders of many breeds who breed only for working purposes and do not show their dogs, or if they do, their breeding purpose is not for show dogs but rather, they simply happened to enter their dog in a ring. Those are the breeders I have th utmost respect and admiration for, the breeder who prove their stock by actually WORKING AND TESTING them, not just having them prance around a ring in front of a judge. I''d take a working-line dog of any breed over a show-line dog of any breed any day!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 05-06-2007, 08:04 PM
BusterLove

i'd agree that the more remote breeds are more likley to only be bred for work.

the only one i can relaly think of is maybe the koolie. they are used mostly for work, but are sometimes bought as pets. however i reckon with a dog like that, even as a pet. just the amount of excercse and mental stimulation you'd need to provide for it you would almost have to find it work.

Old 05-06-2007, 08:45 PM
Taxiderpy

Karelian bear dogs are still bred for working.
Old 05-06-2007, 08:52 PM
Snow Girl

Pretty much any breed that was once bred for working you can still find working breeders today or at least breeders that are trying to restore the working ability.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"