Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-05-2007, 09:52 PM
Your Mom

Quote:
Originally Posted by ~Tucker&Me~ View Post
I also believe the diet plays a huge roll in smell.

~Tucker
Diet definitely plays a huge role, as does whether or not your dog is naturally dirty (rolling in "gross" things, swimming, seeking out mud puddles, etc).

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-05-2007, 11:01 PM
Bored Now.

I definitely agree. ALL the dogs I know that stink have either gotten into something or are fed crap in shiny packages. Same with all the cats I know. My neighbors feed their Friskies, and their kitties sure do stink. Ours were fed Friskies, and when they went to EVO their breath improved drastically and their smell is prettymuch gone.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:29 AM
Top Dog

I think it depends on your definition of "dog smell" and how much you can handle too. Wrigley is currently being fed all raw now and was on Eagle Pack Holistics in the past--I have noticed no change in smell or coat (except his breath is worse now). He generally starts to have his "good dog smell" around 3-4 days after a bath and after around 2 weeks I can't stand it anymore and bathe him. He is washed with a good oatmeal shampoo, has his ears cleaned, teeth brushed and he is conditioned--so I'm very thorough--and he still smells in around 2 weeks.

Honey (our brussles griffon) doesn't have much of an odor except for her cute but disgustingly stinky face--she likes to eat poo or rub her face in it if we aren't watching and her eyes leak constantly--even with every day tear remover and cleaning it gets bad quick!
Old 06-06-2007, 10:40 AM
Rebel With Cause

My ACDs are double coated breeds and I only smelled them stink when I got them. I think it is a combo of life style, food and grooming.
I have smelled dogs that reek of the " doggy oder' Or "Wet dog smell" but my gang does not because they get good care and I think that is essential.
Humans reek too and the neat thing about dogs is unlike their human counter parts at least when they stink they don't try to mask it by putting deoderent or perfume over the smell. Owners will but that is because they more likely then not do it to themselves too. Soap and water does wonders and then daily maintenance for dogs and humans will do wonders .
Old 06-06-2007, 10:42 AM
Top Dog

Another vote for diet. Regarding the German Shepherd comment, Gunnar has NO smell to him. You can bury your nose in his coat and he doesn't smell. Daisy doesn't smell either. Bruzer has some odor but he's a pug and most smell a lot worse than he does.

Of course, all of them get that gamey smell if they've been outside running around, you can notice it when they come in. But, my kids had that same smell when they were little and would come in after playing outside all day.
Old 06-06-2007, 10:43 AM
<--------Orson

Going with the crowd...........DIET over most other factors.

Orson does get a dusty smell after being out rolling around, but never smells nasty, or foul. Same goes for Phoebz. Brushing helps this alot! I don't care if your dog has a long or short coat..........brush them, it gets rid of so much dust and dirt
Old 06-06-2007, 02:01 PM
Puppy Dog

I agree with everyone who says diet. Riley, my 10 month lab, is double coated AND one of the breeds someone said was oily. He eats Canidae and raw and no "crap" treats, and he does not smell like a dog WHATSOEVER. Actually, he has kind of a sweet "fresh-grass" type smell. It is definitely not offensive, and many people I know have commented on how they don't mind him rubbing on them, licking them, and being sort of "in-your-face" like he tends to be because he doesn't even seem like a dog to them. Because of his age and good diet, he has virtually no odor to his breath unless he's had fish for his raw meal. Even then, it's gone in a few hours. I also brush his coat daily, and I think this helps to brush off any dirt or anything that might have gotten on him. I've had him for 6 months and have bathed him twice...once when I first got him because he did stink then and once at the beginning of his coat blow this spring to help him shed some of the hair. He swims in lakes, rivers, pools, etc. and the most I do after that is to give him a good hose down and brush him as he dries. He's definitely one of the cleanest dogs I've ever known.
Old 06-06-2007, 07:18 PM
But please, call me Barb

My German Shepherd has no odor, unless of course he's laid in something he shouldn't. He gets a couple of baths a year.

Every dog I've met that "smelled" was fed a less than stellar diet or one that didn't really agree with them.
Co-worker mentioned one day that she gave her Lab a bath every week. Asked what she fed, Iams I believe it was.
I talked her into Canidae. Been a month, no bath no smell
Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Big Dog

Looks like diet is unanimous!
Still while doing research on breeds, some are touted to be odor-free while others are said to have doggy odor needing frequent bathing. I have to think there is something to this. But I guess from what people are saying here, good diet helps.
So what is a list of what everyone would consider "good" vs "bad" vs "okay" dog food.

Faris gets purina. He seems to do fine on it.

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie

Old 06-06-2007, 09:25 PM
Water Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannerson View Post
So what is a list of what everyone would consider "good" vs "bad" vs "okay" dog food.

Faris gets purina. He seems to do fine on it.

Purina is most certainly in the "bad" group.

I would consider the "Okay" foods to be kibbles that are high quality but not grain free. Then "Good" to be a grain free kibbles and raw.