Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-05-2007, 09:05 PM
Big Dog

Default Odor-free breeds

Okay, my dog Faris is a border collie, samoyed mix. He has no doggy odor and gets 1-2 baths a year, just because his coat gets dirty now and again. Or the old skunk comes for a visit.

I absolutely love this quality about him. I can't stand doggy smell. Someone at work brought their two labs (one of my favorite breeds) in all day and they were in their crate together mostly and that room smelled so badly and just petting them my hand stink. I pet some breeds and I feel like my hand is dirty coming back. My grandma has the sweetest am cocker who would go to the beauty shop and come back all groomed with a bow and in the shortest of time he was back to his stinky self. My sister's mastiff puppy also leaves that residue on my hands when I pet her.

Do dog coats smell like the hounds, most sporting breeds, because of a higher content of oil does anyone know? Faris has very dry skin/coat to the point of dandriff at times. I would guess all arctic type breeds like he is part are similar to him.

What are your thoughts? Dumb question?

Owned by: Faris a BorderCollie/Samoyed mix, Lucy a mixed breed, and Pearl the cavie

Old 06-05-2007, 09:07 PM
swimming upstream

my lab does not have a doggy smell--never has! I think grooming, feeding (quality of food), etc. contribute to all dogs hygiene/smell. BTW--my hound doesn't smell either! They are bathed x2 a year.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Snow Girl

Sometimes it just has to do with the dog itself, what environment it lives in, how often it is bathed (too often is usually worse than not often), what type of kibble it eats, age, grooming, etc.

Siberian Huskies are known for bein "odourless" though and generally all Nordic breeds are this way. I love it!! When people come over who have never been here before, they often comment how they didnt realize that ny dog lived here, let alone two of them, since there isnt any "dog smell" in the house.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 06-05-2007, 09:09 PM
Your Mom

I've found that the oily-er breeds smell a bit more: Labs, Beagles, etc.

I've also found that breeds with a double coat (GSDs, Akitas, etc) tend to get more stinky than those with a shorter coat (not always, but quite often).

And my Alapaha puppy smells . . . but that's because she plays with other dogs 24/7 so she is always covered in random doggy spit. But if she hasn't been playing with anyone she's pretty smell-free. My Greyhound also stinks . . . well his breath does. Poor death-breath boy!! But his coat is always clean and stink-free.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 06-05-2007, 09:12 PM
Chihuahua Power!

My chis have never had a "doggy" smell. They are fed a high quality grain free food (which I believe that nutrition plays a big role in how dogs smell). They get baths every 1-2 months, or if they get dirty outside playing.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-05-2007, 09:17 PM
Water Junkie

I think it's mostly what your dog is eating.

I've known very many dogs that are being fed garbage and their coats are gross, seriously I won't even touch some of the labs I've seen that are "pets". Then the dogs that are fed a high quality kibble or raw are odorless and don't have oily coats.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Chihuahua Power!

My parents fed their toy poodle Purina Pro Plan for 10 years... she always smelled like dirty hair, and my mom would have to bathe her weekly.

They switched her to a holistic food, and she didn't have that smell anymore. She had less baths after that as well.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 06-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Island dweller

I think the major factor is food quality.

BUT Mav (newf cross) loves to lay around in water and quite often has a mild swampy smell depending on where he's been swimming lol. He can't help it!
Old 06-05-2007, 09:47 PM
and Spy.

I also believe the diet plays a huge roll in smell.

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 06-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

Going to have to agree on diet. My american cocker never smells doggie, even if she doesn't get washed for some months. Never had a greasy issue either..

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground