Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 06-03-2007, 08:32 AM
Big Dog

Default Do you know a good website.......

I have been reading past posts on food for Dogs and I still havent found what I am looking for.

I find that my dog fed up with the dry and wet food I keep giving her, at the moment she is having Eagle pack holistic. We rescued her nearly 12 months ago and she looks really healthy, but she wont eat, unless she has missed a couple of meals.

We eat a lot of chicken, fish brown rice and veggies and I would love to feed this kind of food to her.

Can I do this?

Is there a website that will give me all the foods I can and cannot give her.

I spoke to my vet who told me I cant give her human food as she wont get a balanced diet, she said it was to complicated for me, not sure if I should have been offended by her comment or not.
Old 06-03-2007, 08:36 AM
Top Dog

Well, do you want to feed her a completely home made diet or just add it to her kibble? You could go all home made or raw. With those you would need to get some books on how to do it and read some posts about it here (we have a lot of posts about feeding raw). If you just want to add it to the kibble then I don't see the harm in it but if your vet said no then I'm not sure. Wait and see what other members say about that.

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 06-03-2007, 08:56 AM
Big Dog

Not sure about the raw, I am still reading the postings, but I just thought if I feed her with human food then she might not get bored and at least I would know what she is getting. She is still itching quite a bit, the vet thinks that she might have allergies to her food, she recommended I changed my dog to Science Diet, which I wont do and explained why.

I contact the nutritionist at Eagle pack who told me to put her on the lamb and rice only, she is on this already but I think she is bored with it.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:19 AM
<--------Orson

Now if you just want to "spice up" her kibble..........I would go for it.

If you are considering switching to a totally homecooked diet (I did) then you should do a little homework first to get the gist of what you do and don't do.

There are good sites out there to learn about cooked food feeding, they are just fewer and farther between than the more popular Raw or Barf diets.

There are several good books as well..........Dr. Pitcairn's is one of the books that I am currently reading to learn more.

You can feed your dog just fine without the petfood companies...........There were no dog food companies years ago, and somehow dogs got along just fine

If you would like to pm me, I can share some recipes & information that I use to cook for my dogs. I was fed up with the recent dog food scare and switched to totally home cooked, before that I just dabbled in cooking for them occasionally.
Old 06-03-2007, 11:33 AM
<--------Orson

Oh, sorry..........I was going to post you a web site to look over

This one is sort of easy to follow, the white section has info on cooking foods.............

http://b-naturals.com/Apr2006.php
Old 06-03-2007, 12:41 PM
Harumph™©®

For what it's worth my dog refused to eat Eagle Pack. I was mixing it with other kibble and finally just switched.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:55 PM
Top Dog

This book would be a great place to start:

Dr. Pitcairn's Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs & Cats (Paperback)
http://www.amazon.com/Pitcairns-Comp.../dp/0875962432

Unfortunately, it is getting exceedingly hard to find due to the recent pet food recalls.
Old 06-03-2007, 01:59 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToscasMom View Post
For what it's worth my dog refused to eat Eagle Pack. I was mixing it with other kibble and finally just switched.
When we got her she was on Pruina Dog Chow, then after reading some of the posts here I decided to try Eagle Pack, she has had it now for the last 6 months, where I started with the duck, she seemed to go off that after a few months, then the chicken and now the Lamb.

Do you think I should try one of the other makes of food before trying human food?
Old 06-03-2007, 02:01 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACooper View Post
If you would like to pm me, I can share some recipes & information that I use to cook for my dogs. I was fed up with the recent dog food scare and switched to totally home cooked, before that I just dabbled in cooking for them occasionally.
I have PM'd you if I have done it correct.
Old 06-03-2007, 03:06 PM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
Do you think I should try one of the other makes of food before trying human food?
You can go either way. Cooper has a great recipe. But there are also some really good foods out there, Eagle Pack isn't the Be All to End All. I'm sure plenty of folks on this board will be happy to give you recommendations. Many people here feed Canidae, plenty of others swear by Innova, EVO and a few others.