Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-27-2007, 10:16 PM
Salty Sea Dog

Default Poodles, toy and standard

looking for more info on poodles for a friend. and i know there are owners of both here.
shes looking for an inteligent hypoalergenic dog and the poodle was the forst one that jumped to mind and i offered to find out some more info on them.
shes interested in either a standard poodle Or a Toy poodle. she has a fairly small home (600sqft) but a very nice garden (1/2-3/4 of an acre) with a great privicy fence.
shes not sure if she wants a tiny dog (ie the toy) or a larger dog (the standard) but she knows she wants either or, shes not a big fan of medium dogs so isnt as interested in the medium (minis?) poodle.

big questions:

health concerns? what is common in the breed, what genetic problems should be watched for, what are they prone to and what can be a problem that might not be something that can realy be controled via genetics (ie bloat)

personality? what are they like to live with.
puppy personality? are they gentle puppies or typically rambunctious? clumsy? hyper? always on the go? couch potatoes? fast learners?

shes been around my dane pup whos too high energy for her, but hes also very outhy and stubborn and has almost severe bursts of energy (hes also deaf) shed rather a slightly softer pup who might be a little quieter or at least less inclined to such sudden swings.

how are they as adults?

other notes of interst?

shes not interested in showing or breeding, but would like a dog she could possibly do some fun agility with, and a dog who will most likely enjoy the water, she swims alot and owns a boat.

is there much differences in the toy and standards other than size?

any help would be apreciated.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-27-2007, 11:29 PM
Top Dog

I don't know all the health concerns but with most small dogs the toy can have luxating patellas, and I do believe blindness as they get older, all sizes are prone to ear infections if the ears aren't plucked and cleaned. Standards like most big dogs can have hip dysplasia, bloat. I am not sure if this is in all sizes but vWB which is a disease that makes them bleed more cause they don't clot properly.
I can't really think back to when Stryder was a puppy but like most puppies he did his share of sleeping. He did get the zoomies now and then and liked to play but was not always up in your face. He is a Mini by size but his breeding is toy.
Stryder loves everyone and everything. He plays with all sizes of dogs and is not aggresive at all. He is not scared of too much. He does get stressed out when left alone, and barks in his crate. I have stopped crating him at night cause he wakes us up in the morning with barking when he's in his crate but is fantastic sleeping in my bed.
He can have energy and loves to play but also is very willing to sleep all day. He is very inteligent and learns very quick.
You cannot coddle these dogs though or you will get scared annoying brats ,but I am sure you knew that already owning chi's (I am not saying you coddle your dogs and that they are annoying I am saying you already knew not to cddle them)
Stryder unfortunately has not had the opportunity to swim but he has waded into the water up to his chest (as far as the leash would let im go)
There is very little body differences from toy to mini (the only change in the breed standard is the size) but obviously the standards gonna need alot more exercise. Grooming is gonna cost more on a standard.
Some people say toys may not be as smart as the other sizes due to breeding so much for size but like I said my dog's parents are both toys and he is a smart (but large ) boy.
Of course you know to get from a responsible breeder that gets all it's health testings done and both parents have show and performance titles on both sides and yada yada
oh ya and my boy like agility alot and is quite good at for only having 5 sessions

Old 05-28-2007, 08:12 AM
Top Dog

My 2 are standards and they are both joys to have around. Both of them absolutely love swimming, playing fetch and chasing squirrels. They get along with all people and other dogs. They co-habited nicely with my cat in the house. They do love to play but they also enjoy being couch potatoes. If they get bouncy in the evening a game of fetch in the living room while I'm sitting in the recliner watching TV works off their extra energy.

Farley is my resident goofball while Chloe is the gentle princess. While Farley is very high energy he is also very responsive to my saying "enough" and calming down. And while Chloe is the calmer one of the two she is ready, willing & able to participate in whatever is going on.

I almost lost Farley to bloat 4 yrs ago and thankfully emergency surgery saved him. In the future any standard pups I may get will have their stomachs tacked when they are being spayed/neutered.

I have found this breed to be by far the easiest to train. Both of mine really enjoyed going to obed. classes and we also competed successfully in obedience. A year ago I started Chloe in agility strictly for fun and she loves it!

I keep my 2 in fairly short clips instead of any of the typical cuts. They go to the groomer every 8 wks and I find the maintenance between groomings to be easier than any of the other breeds I have had in years past.

I am thoroughly enthralled with this breed and I honestly don't think I will ever be without at least one of these lovely characters sharing my home.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:55 AM
Top Dog

I was thinking even the calmest most laid-back breeds are fairly rambunctious as puppies. That's the reason I have said that I might not get a puppy again and go with an older dog from here on out. I don't know if I'll stick with that, but I've been thinking that any dog or cat I get from here on will be adults.
Old 05-28-2007, 09:49 AM
Top Dog

poodlesmom, can you tell me any more about the stomach tacking. I have never heard of it. I am planning on getting a Standard next year and I know bloat is a common thing for them. Thanks

Old 05-28-2007, 09:57 AM
Salty Sea Dog

thanks for the quick replies guys, ill relay the info...
i personally love the standards, how are the standards usually with little dogs? theyd be comming over to play with the chis once in a while so a high prey drive might not be a good thing lol.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-28-2007, 10:55 AM
Top Dog

MysticRealm, stomach tacking is a procedure where they actually put in stitches to anchor the stomach to the abdominal wall to try to alleviate the possibility of it twisting during an episode of bloat. As with anything there are no guarantees but from all I've read and heard it does definitely have benefit. It will not eliminate the potential for bloat, which does need to be treated if it occurs, but reduces the chances of the deadly torsion.
Old 05-28-2007, 02:27 PM
Top Dog

Thats' really interesting poodlesmom, thanks!

Old 05-28-2007, 05:03 PM
Top Dog

My 2 were fine with all the small breeds at obed. school. As with anything else they need to be trained on appropriate behavior. For years I also had cats and they were absolutely fine with them in the house.
Old 05-28-2007, 06:40 PM
Top Dog

My neighbor has both a standard and a mini ..... I'd take the standard over the ankle biter any day !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/