Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 07-24-2005, 01:23 PM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by yuckaduck
A draft horse will have problems circling tightly however nice big swooping circles keeping the forward momentum up might help. but I just think it may be rather didfficult with the size of horse we are talking .
Hahahahaha! You haven't met my Irish Draft Horse! Cavan could circle on a 10 pence piece!! Do not underestimate the turning power of an angry / bolting chunky Monkey!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 07-24-2005, 01:28 PM
Don't encourage me..

So Scar, any news on his progress?!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 07-24-2005, 01:31 PM
yuckaduck

I didn't mean it was impossible for a draft horse to circle, I meant it is hard on their legs to circle in small circles. At least this is what my vet instructed us here.
Old 07-24-2005, 01:41 PM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
I didn't mean it was impossible for a draft horse to circle, I meant it is hard on their legs to circle in small circles. At least this is what my vet instructed us here.
I never suggested that you said it was impossible for them to corner, I was merely saying that Heavy Horses are very under estimated!! I have been a Heavy Horse enthusiast for 20 years and just get a bit annoyed at the stereotype that they have been given!! It is very unjust! There is absolutely no reason why a Heavy Horse shouldn't be able to corner like a Thoroughbred! And have you seen how much bone goes into one of those legs! lol! There is no scientific basis in which to assume that their legs are more fragile! 2 years of advanced Equine Science and research into Equine Genetic diseases has helped me to make this statement, so I do know what I am talking about!

Sorry! Bit of a touchy subject for me!! Didn't mean to be harsh!

Old 07-24-2005, 01:50 PM
yuckaduck

It is true they are under estimated for sure and oh yes they can corner unbelieveably, just saying it is not always good to do circle work. I'm talking schooling tight circle work not a few circles here and there. I have definantly seen the bone that makes those legs and also know the weight berring down on those legs. Not a small creature. They are not that delicate just passing on what I have been taught in my 30 years. It is fine to disagree and I have no arguments with any of your comments. Don't feel you were to harsh either, everyone's opinion is welcome. Why bother posting anything if you can't respond. If you are studying this more thourghly then maybe you can change people's way of thinking. But we must remember that the draft horses were originally created for work. Is that all they can do? No way, I've seen many ridden in parades and even in show rings. They are a majestic animal to say the least. They have such wonderful temperments I often wish I could get a hold of one for my lessons, but was always informed that they are not made to do schooling type work.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:04 PM
Don't encourage me..

They make wonderful Dressage horses!! Unfortunatley most Judges lean towards the Warmblood Types! I really feel it should be on merit alone and not what breed of horse it is, but there you go!! Working Hunter trials are after all dominated by the Chunkier breeds and lets not forget Mary King the eventer, she has never been adverse to heavier horses!

It's such a shame!! They are fab all rounders!! I wish everyone could have a chunky friend!

Old 07-24-2005, 02:09 PM
yuckaduck

Hey my first show jumper was a irish draft/canadian sport horse cross. Big boned like the draft and what a great guy. Would and could jump anything put in front of him. Just like any judged events they have there favs and no one else will ever break into that. It is a tragedy because they are good horses, and they can do anything within reason. I'm not sure I would ask a draft horse to jump a 6 foot fence but I bet they probably could. Maybe you and I should judge the dressage! lol Bet the results would be alot different.
Old 07-24-2005, 02:17 PM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Maybe you and I should judge the dressage! lol Bet the results would be alot different.
Yup I think we should! First out would be all the weedy Throroughbreds with absolutely no topline!! I have nothing against Thoroughbreds by the way, I used to own 2 but I hate weedy, underdeveloped Thoroughbreds!! You may as well ride a Giraffe!!

Old 07-24-2005, 02:20 PM
yuckaduck

I thought they were giraffs, oops my mistake. lol
Old 07-24-2005, 02:27 PM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
I thought they were giraffs, oops my mistake. lol
An easy mistake to make! lol!

Here are pics of my Babies in case you are interested! http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7037