Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-30-2007, 10:45 PM
Harumph™©®

I might buy a bag of the chicken and try mixing them, see what happens. I have also been leaning toward some home cooked in her diet so I might just go that way and spice her kibble up with some ground turkey and veggies. She loves veggies.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:46 PM
swimming upstream

On occasion, I add olive oil to the Canidae--the dogs think it's from heaven!
Old 05-30-2007, 11:03 PM
Harumph™©®

Oh really Bax? I will try that. Thanks!
Old 05-31-2007, 12:48 AM
Puppy Dog

Thor gets that way too, eats his Canidae for days no prob then gets kind of tired of it been that way with most foods only food he goes nuts for is Timberwolf Wild & Natural but it costs so dam much !! I pick up a small bag of it and toss a handful in with the Canidae when he's like that he goes right after it then also works with EVO Red Meat have several packs I picked up for that, guess we would get bored eating the same thing every day too
Old 05-31-2007, 08:29 PM
Harumph™©®

Well I got her gobbling it up this morning. I mixed a chunk of canned salmon in. I think I will just have to get more creative if I want her to stay on Canidae. I just like what it has done for her.
Old 05-31-2007, 10:41 PM
<--------Orson

Heh.......my two will eat the toaster if I mix some canned Salmon or Mackeral with it

I see no reason to buy her canned or rolls of Dog food TM. Save your money and search your cupboards.

Save the broths from dinners you cook for yourself........Ie..roasts, chicken or turkeys........any meats like that. I have done this even before I started cooking for the dogs. I just freeze the broth in little freezer bags, and whip it out to pour over dog food when necessary. Lots of flavor.

Nothing wrong with frying up an egg if she likes them (my two don't care for raw eggs) and toss it in her canadae.

You have already mentioned cooking up some ground chicken, turkey, or whatever with veggies.............great plan.......but.............

When you have a meal at home, chicken, bison, whatever..........bag up the leftovers in individual baggies, just the right amount to toss in.

Another thing I used to do with bored doggie pallets...........get some peanut butter, just a tablespoon......mix with some water to make a sauce, instant gravy that mine LOVE!

Don't make it too hard on yourself...........use what you have since she is getting what she NEEDS from her canadae, you can give a tidbit of something she enjoys mixed in
Old 05-31-2007, 10:55 PM
Harumph™©®

I do use dog food rolls mixed in but lately she was picking it out of the food. lol

Great ideas though, Cooper. I will just get creative.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:30 PM
Active Pup

My 22 month old Dobergirl does very well on it also. She gets about 3 1/2 cups a day plus the extras mentioned.

I spice things up by:

1) Mixing in a little olive oil and then spinkling some garlic powder on it

2) Almost every evening putting 4 to 6 onces of rehyrated Honest Kitchen's Embark on it.

3) Most mornings make a gravey using 1/4 can of Canidae or Chicken Soups canned.

4) As mentioned above use any broths or appropriate leftovers.

5) Occasional treat ingredients added, beef heart, salmon, etc,

I made the rounds of many other more expensive foods and she did the best on Canidae, she did not like the Chicken, and Lamb causes a lot of gas.

So I will stick with the ALS and just work on not letting her get bored with it.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:44 PM
Formerly DoglessInSeattle

Some good tips. Thanks everybody.

CeCe has also gone tepid toward her dry food. I was mixing my new bag of Canidae with my old pag of Purina one (my bad, I got sucked in by the labeling but know better now.) She generally gets raw in the evenings and human scraps for desert. I figure she is just getting spoiled. Generally a spoonful or two of yogurt or cottage cheese mixed with the dry kibble will entice her to eat it all up.
Old 06-01-2007, 03:53 PM
Harumph™©®

Well she fell for the cottage cheese thing for awhile, but now it's not doing it for her. So now I am adding salmon. I do think that if I started adding the kitchen sink to her Canidae, particularly things that add calories, I would have to reduce the canidae by a great deal in order to keep her caloric intake stable, so what would be the benefit of the canidae then? She is already getting spoiled with some of the things I add, picking thru the canidae to get the "good stuff". Maybe what I need to do is switch to homecooked meals like Cooper does and just contine with her raw meaty bones.

Incidentally, if I could have gotten to my camera this morning, I would have shots of Mojo in her crate with her helping himself to some of that salmon while Tosca ate. It was really cute.