Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-29-2007, 11:46 PM
Harumph™©®

Default Tosca is officially bored with her Canidae

...and I just bought a 40 pound bag. I think she needs a rotating brand of food. She has become increasingly bored with it. I have had to mix things in for her to eat it during the past weeks, but lately she doesn't even care what I put in it, she isn't eating it with gusto anymore.

Suggestions welcome. I want her to be happy. I know others have said you have to switch foods now and then to keep them interested.
Old 05-30-2007, 12:26 AM
Lord Cynical

Ronin will only eat the Canidae if I mix it with K9 Superfuel and then add a teensy bit of water to make it gooey and stinky. Go figure, he LOVES the super-pricey Eukanuba Puppy he got on the road, and he dug right into the friggin' Diamond he got for a few days when his Puke-a-neuba ran out when he was with his handler...

... crazy dog.

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-30-2007, 12:43 AM
Top Dog

I have tried over and over to feed Canidae, but my dogs just don't really like it and after a while, my male refuses to eat it. I have many friends with the same problem. It's a great food, just not very tasty I suppose.

What about adding in canned?
Old 05-30-2007, 12:53 AM
Harumph™©®

She was fine with it until recently. The thing is, she looks great on this food. Her poop doesn't even smell, looks perfect and practically crumbles. VERY easy cleanup, which tells me that she is getting a lot from this food. I started mixing some dog food roll in and that worked for awhile, but today she nearly went on strike with it. It wasn't for lack of appetite. She chomped thru a raw meaty bone with no problem at all. I suppose I could start mixing canned in with it. I really hate the thought of switching her after I finally found a food that keeps her weight just right and her digestion on target. Sigh...
Old 05-30-2007, 07:51 AM
Love my pets

Mine love the Chicken & Rice formula better than the regular formula Canidae.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:44 AM
Top Dog

It doesn't hurt to fast them once in a while. Recently Gunnar was snubbing parts of his dinner. 24 hours with no food and a lot of exercise, he ate everything in his bowl at his next meal.
Old 05-30-2007, 10:59 AM
Top Dog

Are you sure you aren't overfeeding? We were feeding Herschel 1/2 cup per meal and he eventually did the same thing that Tosca is doing--he wouldn't eat it even if we put amazingly tasty goodies in it.

We let him skip a meal and then cut him down to 1/3 cup and he eats every single piece--with or without additions.

Try feeding less. And like DanL said, let her fast. If she doesn't eat her dinner within 20 minutes, pick it up and wait until the next day.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:22 PM
Harumph™©®

She eats 3/4 to 1 cup twice a day, depending on her actvity, with dog food roll pieces mixed in, which I don't think is too large an amount for a Collie. It is definitely the right amount for her personal weight though. I noticed she can gain or lose easily if I don't feed her the right amounts, so I have experimented with this. If she gets a raw meaty bone, I cut her kibble down a bit, dependent on how large her raw intake was. The reason I think the canidae bores her is she has no problem eating the other things she gets--with gusto. But she has become luke warm with the canidae. I just think she's tired of the same kibble and probably wants a change for awhile. But I could be wrong. I did take her food away last night. This morning she ate it but I added a raw egg and some cottage cheese to the mix.
Old 05-30-2007, 09:34 PM
Clicker Cult Coordinator

We mixed in the canned to keep Auggie interested in it. I know some people rotate the ALS, chicken, and lamb varieties of Canidae without any problems. Maybe that would be enough? Or just rotate canned varieties..?

If she gains weight easily, I think you'll have to be super careful adding in canned and taking away kibble to make sure it's not too much.

Auggie - The Flash RN NAJ MXP MJP CGC
Payton - Sharp Dressed Man NA NAJ CGC
Pepper - Chocolate Swizz-l-icious
& the pest, Georgie - Peach Pudding N Pie NA OAJ
The Sheltiechick Blog
Old 05-30-2007, 09:35 PM
Yum...

Spoiled dog. lol, I think Hershey is also getting bored of his diet.. And Blue Buffalo is the only food, that is quality we can get him, unless we go to Speck's, or get the AvoDerm stuff. I don't know, get her something else. Which I am sure you already know.

Thank you Christine!

A Dog is like an eternal Peter Pan,
a child who never
grows old and who therefore is always available to love and be loved
~Aaron Katcher~

"There aren't any bad dogs, there are only bad owners..." Off of the Movie Underdog