Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-20-2005, 08:53 PM
Top Dog

Question need info from horse owners

Hi everyone well ok i dont understand this when people want to board a horse they wont accept STALLIONS! (and i WILL NOT get him gelded) well they said they will keep him there but i need to buy a stallion pen... 6 foot high though but do you all know where i can find one at a good price? and what website?
and why dont they let stallions stay at a boarding facility?
please help me i need to find one before 4 weeks

Old 05-20-2005, 09:33 PM
Top Dog

Most Stallions ( not all ) get really upset when a mare is in heat and can be a real problem to the stable. Why are you keeping him intack ???
Old 05-21-2005, 01:32 AM
Island dweller

Yup. They are a handful. Many of them are really destructive. And they will do anything to get out of their pen when mares are in heat. Especially in the spring. I always feel bad for studs. They have to live separate, have to deal with their hormones all year round and frustration... Really tough for a herd animal.
Old 05-21-2005, 11:46 AM
Top Dog

It makes it tough for the other people boarding there too. I've seen stallions try to climb sides of stalls to get to a mare and almost make it. They dont worry about hurting themselfs eitheir so make sure he is in something secure.
Old 05-21-2005, 02:33 PM
Top Dog

well my stallion is very good with other horses he goes on trail rides with mares and another stallion and he does great he doesnt fight. hes also 6 years old and from the wild but very well broke... but i have a question we are going to make a stallion pen but how big should it be? i know we have to have it 6 feet high but what about the width and length???????

Old 05-21-2005, 02:41 PM
Playful Husky Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcowgirl
well my stallion is very good with other horses he goes on trail rides with mares and another stallion and he does great he doesnt fight. hes also 6 years old and from the wild but very well broke... but i have a question we are going to make a stallion pen but how big should it be? i know we have to have it 6 feet high but what about the width and length???????
Yes thats great there hasent been a problem yet but no horse is predictable and you should never assume your horse won't cause a problem. Thats what causes accidents.

Pets name: Chaos

Pets name: Blue Moon

Pets name: Cajun

Pets name: Smoothie
Old 05-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Love4Pits
Yes thats great there hasent been a problem yet but no horse is predictable and you should never assume your horse won't cause a problem. Thats what causes accidents.
Took the words right out of my mouth. If he did get out of his pen and found himself a mare in heat, he could make a little horse. It can be a real problem if your mare is pregnant and you don't know. She could die if she doesn't get the needed vet care. And even if she does, her owner may not want her to be pregnant. It's only fair to the other people boarding their horses. Since they don't "spay" mares, you have to keep your intact guy away from everyone else's babies.
Old 05-22-2005, 04:44 PM
Island dweller

What's even worse is if the stud gets out and attacks a mare that isn't in heat. They can get into some nasty fights. Or if there is a rider on the back of the mare...
Old 05-23-2005, 03:15 AM
Don't encourage me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by azcowgirl
but i have a question we are going to make a stallion pen but how big should it be? i know we have to have it 6 feet high but what about the width and length???????
I think it really depends on how large your Stallion is!! (How many hands?) I mean if he is 16.0 HH plus, 6ft is not going to keep him in if he really wants to get out!!! Believe me I have seen Stallions clear 6ft before to get at mares!! It's amazing what they can do when driven by hormones!!

And as for width and length you should make it as big as you can! If you can afford to do an Acre I would fence an Acre. If you have enough land and money for fencing I would do more! Stallions need lots of exercise!!

You must remember that Stallions can change like lightening when they get a sniff of a mare in heat! I used to work with Stallions at a stud farm and although they were very docile normally, they could switch, just like that!!
We always wore Gloves, a Riding helmet, and carried a whip when handling them just in case!! We never used any of these (thankfully) But the risk is very real!!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-23-2005, 09:57 AM
Top Dog

ok well i think that 6 feet will be to big lol but i dont know maybe just right but he is 13.3hh hes a small mustang. ill be going there everyday and taking him out for some trail rides and warm ups for couple hours a day or even a whole day with me jsut to bond when i get him ...i just wanted to add that