Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-28-2007, 06:47 PM
Top Dog

My mini has never been an ankle biter.
My mini loves to rough house and I took him to a new friends place that has 2 standards and they had the time of their life playing together (the 2 standards and my mini)

Old 05-28-2007, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

I like all the sizes of Poodles. The Standards are very stately and lovely and I also like the little ones. They're really pretty and quick learners. I think they're great dogs. And Grammy...not all small dogs are ankle biters just like not all big dogs are vicious dogs who will take down a person and rip their faces off. I have big dogs and the tiniest breed in the world and none of my dogs have ever bitten anyone... don't have an ill tempered bone in their bodies.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:19 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Not all small dogs are anklebiters. That's just another stereotype. Sure, some small dogs do nip and bite ankles, but there are also adorably sweet pit bulls, aggressive goldens, and perfectly wonderful small dogs, like my Lucy.
Old 05-28-2007, 08:28 PM
Your Mom

My friend has a Standard Poodle and 4 Chinese Cresteds . . . needless to say he's fantastic with small dogs. I haven't known any Standards that have had high prey drive, myself.

But, FYI, there is no such thing as a hypoallergenic dog.

Oldham's Goddess of War CGC, PSA1, CL1-F "Teeny"
Connors' Baloo CGC, TT "Blue"
Old 05-28-2007, 08:43 PM
Top Dog

Sorry !!! I agree , I have met some very nice small dogs . They don't bite my ankles ....just my Goldens ! Don't take Grammy seriously ! All breeds have a fault . Like people , no-one's perfect !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-28-2007, 09:04 PM
High Maintenance

This is a breed we are strongly leaning towards when we get another dog. I would like a dog that's energetic, but also friendly. I've read a lot about the standards and they seem like great dogs. Of course, you have to train them. I would eventually like to get one for agility, obedience, and possible therapy dog. We also want a playmate for Zoe after her issues are worked out. My husband is having issues with it being a poodle
Old 05-28-2007, 10:05 PM
Top Dog

For husbands with issues, find some pictures and some info online about what terrific hunting dogs they are. Even if you and your husband don't hunt, just knowing that might make them seem a little more macho to him. LOL. My sister has, in the past talked about getting a Bishon Frise (sp?) and her husband said that if she did, he won't be helping with the walking it on a leash in public. He wouldn't be caught dead. LOL.
Old 05-28-2007, 10:24 PM
Salty Sea Dog

lol, my bf is the same with the chis...
luckily for my frined she is a wonderfull active strong woman with no patients for men and absolulty no interest in any relationship so she doesnt have a man to worry about saying her dog is not a manly dog...
but it can definatly be an issue lol

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-29-2007, 12:36 AM
lurking near the surface

one of my husband's fave dogs is a black standard. he loves standard poodles, so long as they don't have the froufrou hair cut! anyway, as he loves most things german [obsession] he was thrilled to find out they are german dogs. haha. it's good to learn more about this breed, as it's one we are considering owning. thanks for the info.

but yeah, he wouldn't be caught owning a bichon frise, either, doberluv. he calls them "frizzy b*tches."

"A righteous man has regard for the life of his animal" [Proverbs 12:10]
Old 05-29-2007, 06:17 PM
Top Dog

jammer, you should have heard the groans I heard from many people (including my hubby & brother) when they heard I was getting my 1st standard. Once Farley came home it didn't take long at all for him to make alot of converts out of all those groaners. Within a year Chloe joined our home and she became my hubby's shadow. My brother, who is 6'2 & 240 lbs, is planning on having a standard as his furpal as soon as his life levels out enough for him to have a dog. I wish I had $1 for every time I've had someone say "Geez, I really like your 2. I never knew poodles were a "regular" dog!" You can also tell your hubby what they were bred for: they are water retrievers.