Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-21-2005, 01:35 PM
no touchy

Colby and Tippy are very good guard dogs. Nothing misses them. Colby is more weary of people when they first enter than Tippy is. Tippy will sniff them and then let them pet her, but Colby needs a few minutes to warm up to them. Only with people that she doesn't know very well, though. If it's a relative, she's all over them. May absolutely stinks as a guard dog. The only time she even barks is if she's annoyed, sleeping, or the occasional play bark. That's all. In the eight or so years we have her, she's probably only growled about five times. She'd invite anyone and everyone in for a cup of tea, including "bad guys".
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:18 PM
user not active

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaddylovesdogs
Colby and Tippy are very good guard dogs. Nothing misses them. Colby is more weary of people when they first enter than Tippy is. Tippy will sniff them and then let them pet her, but Colby needs a few minutes to warm up to them. Only with people that she doesn't know very well, though. If it's a relative, she's all over them. May absolutely stinks as a guard dog. The only time she even barks is if she's annoyed, sleeping, or the occasional play bark. That's all. In the eight or so years we have her, she's probably only growled about five times. She'd invite anyone and everyone in for a cup of tea, including "bad guys".

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDog2191
Best guard dog ever.

I don't even hear foot steps or the door bell ringing.

There's different tones in Rocky's voice. one's that say "give me food" when he barks or "something's not right".

I can differ from those two very easily.

For example, today my friends parent came to pick him up when I start hearing this loud, low barking, I'm like, "Your mom must be here."

Then I hear a doorbell.

He's done this on numerous occasions.

There is a big difference between a Guard dog and Watch dog.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:29 PM
Big German Shepherd

He was tied up at the time so all he could do was bark.

He's a GSD too, smart one. GSD's are guard dogs.

I hope your dog doesn't go up and tear up someone they don't recognize to shreds. It would suck for that to happen to a family member had they been visiting.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:33 PM
user not active

Quote:
He was tied up at the time so all he could do was bark.

He's a GSD too, smart one. GSD's are guard dogs.

I hope your dog doesn't go up and tear up someone they don't recognize to shreds. It would suck for that to happen to a family member had they been visiting.
lol.

Im sorry i have no other response
Old 05-21-2005, 03:35 PM
Big German Shepherd

Funny, huh?
Old 05-21-2005, 03:35 PM

Addie will bark if she is indoors and someone knocks...outside, she'd never bark at a person. She alerts me to the squirrels or deer...lol Hammie is the watch dog...throws out his 'big man bark' that he reserves for people he doesn't know. If someone knocks and they are both inside...it must sound like a pack of mad dogs. If Ham is outside and barks...I look, cause he'd never waste his time barking at squirrels and such. Ham's bark sounds so deep and BIG that once some strange man trying to sell something (very rare around here) got out of his car....heard the bark....walked backwards to his car again. I yelled out the door asking what he wanted.......he changed his mind on giving me a sales pitch. lol Nobody would get close without Ham giving the word.....so guess being the watch dog is his job. One thing I love is that neither of them would bother barking at a car going by on the road....I would hate that.
Old 05-21-2005, 03:41 PM

Hey BigDog....I was a bit clueless on that......what the heck was funny?? Oh well, oriondw's comment flew over my head. LOL Rocky will always be a fabulous watch dog!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-21-2005, 04:21 PM
user not active

Quote:
Funny, huh?

How old is rocky?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:40 PM
Stanna

Oh please, stop taunting bigdog. Yours is the best. yours is the meanest. We all bow down to the uber protective instincts of your dog. No need to pick on a kid and his puppy.
Old 05-21-2005, 04:54 PM
Top Dog

Well, Rose is a very good watchdog. She is very wary of people, so she'll bark at someone who pulls up into our driveway, etc. She won't have anything to do with strangers. The gas man came over one time to fill up our gas tank and Blackie ran right up to him to get a dog treat, but Rose stayed far back and just barked. He threw her a treat, but she didn't even look at it.

Blackie is a good watchdog and guard dog. He barks when something is out of the ordinary and that is it. He would defend us if we needed it too. He is fine with people we except, but if we don't welcome them in, watch out. lol