Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-30-2005, 04:44 PM
Top Dog

I don't understand.....why haven't they really been together ?? An older dog will rarely hurt a puppy....they may snap and scold which is part of the teaching. Personally, I feel the longer you wait the more problems you'll have. I've never had a kenneled dog , so I may be wrong. They're all part of the family and have to learn their place in the pecking order.
Old 05-30-2005, 04:48 PM
Felurian

I've never had a problem either, Grammy, especially when dealing with German Shepherds. Under normal circumstances they are great with puppies and any other family animals - just look at what Bimmer puts up with, lol! But I've never kept a dog in a kennel all the time either . . . I can see where a dog would get territorial and jealous.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-30-2005, 05:18 PM

Your dogs are totally gorgeous!!!! Yep, you really must let them be together more now. You can supervise...but I bet they'll be fine. The older dog does teach the puppy so much. Is Buster neutered? Will Billy be??
Old 05-31-2005, 01:03 PM
German Shepherds UK

thanks for all your help guys, I've kept them together near enough all day today and billy (the pup) has tried to bite buster (the old timer) quite a few times. what buster did was either move away or show his teeth and made a quiet bark/growel sound at billy.
I just get worried that buster might attack billy or hurt him but so far so good
Old 05-31-2005, 01:17 PM
Top Dog

Keep working at it !!! Billy will learn....by the way, if there is a slight nip, Billy will cry bloody murder !!! Crying wolf !
Old 05-31-2005, 02:01 PM
<--My 2 angels Odo & Odie

We have a white GSD she is 5 years old and she lives inside with two small terriers. Gd's are very good with small dogs or puppies. She is also good with the two cats. If she nips at the puppy she is just correcting, i don't think she would really hurt it..
Quote:
by the way, if there is a slight nip, Billy will cry bloody murder !!! Crying wolf !
This is true.
Old 05-31-2005, 02:28 PM

don't let all that growling fool you...it's just the 'alpha' doggie showing the youngster who is boss. It won't really generate into anything terrible. Sometimes to this day..my Addie will be quite 'verbal' with Ham......always keeping him in line. LOL Some days, I think...OK, ADDIE....shut up already!! She does sound so cranky...but they get along so very well. Hammie just adores her.

I asked if they were neutered (that being your puppy gonna be neutered) cause I wouldn't want 2 intact males together. That's just asking for trouble.
Old 05-31-2005, 05:37 PM
no touchy

Default Not to offend anyone, but....

to me, at least, it seems like many people here are against having an outdoor dogs. At times I do agree that having an outdoor dog is not the best idea, but not always.

Just because a dog lives outdoors does not mean that it is not well taken care of, or that it is not happy. There are plenty of outdoor dogs are there that love their lives. Yes, there are also outdoor dogs that hate their lives. Most likely if I see an outdoor dog, whether chained or penned, I'll feel bad for it and see it as being bored. But unless I go there every day to check and see, I can't be sure the dog isn't allowed indoors at times, or doesn't get to spend times with his owners.

I know a Bernese Mountain Dog that lives in a pen, outdoors. From what I have seen, the dog is never let out of the pen. She seems well-fed, her pen is medium/large in size, she has a dog house, and some shade. So she's not living a horrible, disgusting life, but it's not the best, and I do feel bad for her (which is why each Saturday, when exercising a neighbor's dog, I give her treats and the two run up and down the fenceline playing with eachother, LOL).

But just because a dog live outdoors doesn't mean it's not well-taken care of and doesn't have a good life, and just because a dog lives INSIDE doesn't mean it's well-taken care of and has a good life.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-31-2005, 09:07 PM
Felurian

That can be true, Gaddy, but German Shepherds are a breed that NEEDS to be with the family. That's just the way they are wired.

They aren't playthings to be put back in the pen when no one wants to play anymore.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-31-2005, 09:17 PM
Top Dog

Sigh !!!!! I wouldn't have a dog if it wasn't with me 7/24. I don't need to walk a kenneled dog, clean out his area, carry food and water to his "jail", .... my dogs are family. Just like I wouldn't have had kids to have them in day care 22 hours a day.