Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-20-2005, 06:59 AM
Top Dog

Default Do you leave the TV on?

My Wife and I have a disagreement. Whenever I leave the house I put animal planet on for the dogs. My male Sal, actually likes to watch Pet Star and America Funniest Animals. My wife says its a waste of power and I am being silly. I feel guilty everytime I leave the house without the dogs and I am most likely treating my own guilt; However I still think that the TV offers some company (voices and such).

What do you guys do?
Old 05-20-2005, 07:31 AM
Top Dog

My honey and I always leave the TV on. We had seperation anxiety problems with Abbey when she was a puppy and found that the noises of the shows helped calm her down.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:09 AM
Happy Meal. Yum.

I always leave the Tv on for my two. They seem to like watching animal planet and it keeps them intertained for a while.
Old 05-20-2005, 08:52 AM
Top Dog

I sometimes leave it on, it just depends. When I went on vacation, I left it on for my cat even thought Brady was staying at Jenny's house.

Sometimes I leave it on for them if we go out to eat or something, but not always. It just depends, if it is just the cat, I don't usually leave it on (like if Brady is outside or at Jenny's) but if he is inside I leave it on for him.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:05 AM
Felurian

We don't leave ours on, but there's a good reason for it, lol! The surround sound can fool a dog into not realizing something is just on the TV and thinking it's real! Sometimes when we're watching there will be a sound effect or a voice that just sets them off. They jump up on alert until we convince them that it's just the TV. If that happened when we weren't here there's no telling WHAT we might find when we got home

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-20-2005, 09:07 AM
Top Dog

If I wasnt so cheap I'd leave the tv on but I do what I can to keep the electric down. I do play music though. It gets turned on in the morning and is playing all day long. I have an aunt who use to leave a radio on for her dog. She didnt have a tv. They had a boxer though that went thru the seperation anxity and she'd get toilet paper or newspapers and make hugh messes in the house. She found if she left a radio on the dog would find comfort in the voices on the radio and not feel like she was all alone. Now I know if she would have had a tv, she would have left it on for the dog.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:09 AM
Top Dog

Nope

Lucy just sits at the front door and waits for us. Half the time we have to wake her up when we come home so she can move out of the way of the door!

Lucy

~ My Blog ~
Old 05-20-2005, 09:17 AM
Top Dog

I leave my tv on too! I keep it on ABC, though. My -ex used to put Animal Planet on, but I made him stop. There are too many shows on there where animals are hurt and crying on those emergency shows. I think it stresses them out to hear that...
Old 05-20-2005, 09:25 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

Renee..you know the commercial with the cat that meows..i don't remember if it was cat food or cat litter, but Bronki was DETERMINED to find that cat! HE had it down to being pretty sure it was behind the tv..i hear that commerical now and i can still see him leap up and run for the tv..sniffing all over.....other then that my dogs have never paid attention to the box..they like to stay on my bed and watch the world thru the window.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-20-2005, 09:28 AM
Top Dog

I hate the Dominos commercial where they ring the doorbell because EVERY time Brady wakes up from a nice sleep and starts barking and runs to the window to the door to the window, looking at me with anticipation and I try to tell him there is no one there.