Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-08-2005, 05:13 PM
Big German Shepherd

Looks like a pretty cool breed.
Old 07-08-2005, 05:25 PM
Puppy Dog

Okay. I guess I never really knew what the word fear biter meant. I am Danish, and thats my excuse .I thought you meant that they will bite if they feel threatened in general. I see the German Shepherd picture on top looks a little more like the Wolf-dog. The hind legs are still German Shepherd-style, the legs are short still, the back and stomach part is not as harmonic as the Saarloos wolfdog. But the pelt and overall look is much saarloos-like. I wouldn't know the difference between the two German Shepherd categories you just mentioned, but I doubt it is much like the Saarloos Wolfhond. The appearance can look a little the same, like the top picture. But the movements are not the same, the body-structure (pelt colour not included) is not the same, the character traits I doubt too are the same. Intellect-wise, I too doubt are the same. Strength and endurance I doubt too. What more?

What is the European line gsh like, character-wise?
Old 07-08-2005, 05:57 PM
stirder

both of those dogs are in a stack position. unfortunately it is next to impossible to find a photo of a german shepherd not in a stack (show stance). the dog on top is 75 cm's tall, bottom is a 69 cm female. the one on top fooled an entire class of grad students studying to be wolf biologists. the behaviour is basically the same, with the gsd being more confident and easier to train. max von stephaitz (creator of the gsd) himself admits in his own book that he used the canadian wolf in the creation of the gsd. typically the gsd has larger feet than the sarloos, and the wolf has larger feet than the gsd. an accurate depiction of the working line gsd would actually be more similar in bone structure, size, proportions, gait etc to the wolf than the sarloos. of course there are always exeptions, and I dont argue the fact that the sarloos is very wolfish. however if properly bred (not bred to look like a monstosity that cant hold its own butt off the ground like majority of american gsd's) a gsd will look atleast as wolfish as the sarloos, and be much easier to train. the sarloos' independent, aloof, shy nature makes it harder to train, also it is hard headed. just speak to someone who has tried to train a wolf hybrid, sarloos may be easier to train than a wolf hybrid but its not as easy to train, or maybe I should say it isnt as likely to obey the command no matter how well it knows it, as a gsd.
Old 07-08-2005, 06:35 PM
Puppy Dog

I know the Saarloos is stubborn and hard to train, and that is one of the many wolfdog traits. People mistake the "shy" character. It is not shy. It is suspicious. It's not like it lags confidence. That is a trait that wolf hybrids are known for. But that ain't necessarily a thing that makes it a bad breed.

And Saarloos is a wolf hybrid.

It sounds to me like you are saying that there are more wolf in the German Shepherd, than the Saarloos. Is that what you are saying?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:38 PM
Top Dog

o my grandpa had a irish wolfhound, their masive. he had to keep his outside.its like a horse, but sweet!
they dont live long though
Old 07-08-2005, 06:40 PM
Puppy Dog

How long did it live?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:42 PM
Top Dog

they live close to normal in general i tthink 11-12 yrs generally. my grampps though when it was 9
these are his words, but he should no. buthis was a irish wolfhound
Old 07-08-2005, 06:44 PM
Puppy Dog

Thats odd. Wolfdogs usually live longer. 13-17 years
Old 07-08-2005, 06:50 PM
Puppy Dog

How was it's behavior? Was it suspicious, and stubbon? Or was it an easy dog?
Old 07-08-2005, 06:54 PM
Top Dog

it was laid back o but wait i think irish wolfhounds and wolfdogs might be differnt but yea that is what i heard. They get lots of leg problems, heart problems when they get older because of their size. They are very big. gramps was bigger then a great dane, theyre not common though but are supposed to be the biggest dog