Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-19-2005, 09:18 PM
Puppy Dog

Default German Wire-haired pointer...do they shed?

Just need a yes or no answer on this one if anyone knows. thx
Old 05-19-2005, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

All dogs that have fur shed to some extent. I would guess that GWHPs shed in a similar way to Labradors (thick outer coat and dense undercoat), but I can tell you from experience that those little wire hairs are poke-y! Especially if they get caught in your shirt!

They're listed in my breed encyclopedia as being a "2 out of 4" for grooming time. German short-haired pointers are supposed to be easier to maintain, coat-wise.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:23 AM
Don't encourage me..

I would hazard a YES! Still not made up your mind then Fandogg!! I'm very interested to see what you eventually get!

The man who smiles when things go wrong has thought of someone to blame it on. - Robert Bloch

Old 05-20-2005, 08:14 AM
Puppy Dog

Default re

well i figured the wirehaired pointing griffon doesn't shed so i wanted to see if maybe the GWP didn't shed as well since their so similar.
Old 05-20-2005, 10:15 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

i had a german shorthair pointer..not the wire hair variety..and so i can't say about that one for sure..but the closest thing sure does..it the hairs are short stiff and stick to everything..they get in your socks and work their way into your hide like a splinter..i have been in the grocery store and felt something jab my foot..only to remove my sock and find one of Bin's short hairs stuck in my toe..the coat was very iritating to my skin..i usually had to put a sheet between Bin and me when we slept together.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white cat
Old 05-20-2005, 11:18 AM
Top Dog

My really good friend shows and breeds GWP's and I have watched her groom them MANY times They do not shed very much, but they will shed some. They do have to be hand stripped (never shaved) on a regular basis to keep their coat in order. This helps with the shedding process as it strips dead hairs from the coat. They are a VERY cute breed and don't shed half as much as some of the others