Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 02-10-2011, 12:27 PM
Puppy Dog

Wait a minute. I want to know the criteria on which this list is based (the website is not very informative on that and seems to lump all legislative mention of a breed into this category). Clearly not all breeds on it are subject to the same level of legislation. For example, we all know Pit Bulls get what is arguably more than their fair share of the restrictions, but Labradore Retrievers are clearly not subject to the same issues. The site says that such legislation "threatens the very existence" of dog ownership. That is absurd. I own a Lab, millions of Americans own these dog breeds, there is no threat to the very existence of dog ownership. This list needs to provide more information on the reasoning behind each breed's placement on it. Otherwise stuff like this can be just as inflammatory as the "vicious" or "marauding" adjectives used to describe some breeds.
Old 02-22-2011, 01:03 AM
Pitbull Friends

Itís unbelievable, why would any county ban a pug or a golden retriever. I mean I really disapprove of any breed specific legislation but I understand how public opinion is manipulated by the media to ban big strong breeds, but a pug couldnít inflict more than a flesh wound if it wanted to.
The Dog Blog - Dog Tutorials, News, And Information
Old 02-22-2011, 01:15 AM
Twin 2.0

I'm sporting some wicked marks on my arm and another girl is bleeding from a number of spots after a Chihuahua tonight decided he didn't take too kindly to having his nails trimmed. Any dog can do a significant amount of damage.

Breed bans in general don't make sense, regardless of the size.
Old 02-22-2011, 11:22 AM
Top Dog

The housing projects over here banned Boston Terriers as a dangerous breed of dog. I know a handful of people who have gotten upwards of 50 or even 100 stitches from smaller breeds like westies, dachshunds, pekinese, and heard of someone losing her leg after a lab attack (not sure if that's true). I also know multiple infants in this area alone have been killed by JRTs, one was killed by a pekinese, etc.

So yes, I do believe all of these bans, whether in townships, cities, or simply by building, are due to the dogs being "vicious" or "dangerous". And I also know that EVERY dog, regardless of breed, is potentially dangerous.

ETA: @ pitbullfriends: while I don't know any specific pug bite cases, a pug could definitely cause someone enough damage to require many stitches, break small bones, and could do much more damage to a small child. No, they aren't going to be able to do the damage to an adult person a pit bull terrier or any other large breed dog could, but they can do a LOT of damage.

http://www.adorablebeasts.blogspot.com
Old 03-05-2011, 05:29 PM
Active Pup

Perhaps they should post a list of 75 people banned from the US. Its all about owner responsibility and someone owning too much dog!
Old 04-25-2011, 12:40 PM
Top Dog

The Pug!? WTF!?

"Ma'ii is always out there, waiting. And Ma'ii is always hungry." - Navajo proverb
Old 09-19-2011, 10:07 AM
Puppy Dog

Why are pugs on the list. My pug doesn't even scare cats.
Old 02-19-2012, 04:22 PM
Active Pup

Samoyeds and Alaskan Malamutes are some of the kindest dogs on the planet! That is indeed a disturbing list.
Old 02-19-2012, 05:23 PM
Top Dog

LostBoyScout, I love Alaskan Malamutes. Unfortunately, I haven't met more than a handful that wanted to meet me in return. Most were quite willing to have me check out their pearly whites for doing nothing but being in their presence.

With that said, to whomever wanted to know the criteria used because Labs just couldn't possibly be on that list (nevermind my 40+ stitches split between 2 separate Lab bites), NO breed is "deserving" to be on the ban list. I'm afraid you are not going to find anyone here belief that banning "pit bulls" is ok because they deserve it based on the criteria but obviously there is some screwup when it comes to all the othe breeds.

All this list tells me is that we have some very serious problems with ignorant, negligent, irresponsible (and some downright stupid) dog owners.
Old 03-09-2012, 12:28 PM
Puppy Dog

I am surprised not to see chis on that list, but of course people think it's cute when their precious little thing bites .