Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 08-18-2008, 07:31 PM
Top Dog

Take your dog and have it euthanized, possibly fine you.
Old 08-19-2008, 12:41 AM
Dafuq?

It depends on the locale, but that's pretty much the jist of it. Sometimes they'll take your dog and give you a chance to find it a home outside the area. Or sometimes they'll just kill it and stick you with a fat fine.

Now entering the land of hypnotic signatures...
Old 08-19-2008, 06:37 PM
Surrounded by Dane-Angels

Oh my, that's just insane! I mean, why not just ban every single breed out there???? Seriously!

Some say their dog is their best friend, some say their dog is a huge part of their lives....
My dogs are my life, they are my heart & soul! The most faithful friends i'll ever know.
Old 08-20-2008, 02:43 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dangels View Post
Oh my, that's just insane! I mean, why not just ban every single breed out there???? Seriously!
They are pretty **** close to doing just that....why doesnt everyone just own a pet rock... shame
Old 09-09-2008, 02:39 PM
Kela

After PMing Renee, she said that I should post on here about my issue with the original post. The original list has no credibility. I've emailed the RDOWS group asking them for their sources and will update if I do get a response from them.

Several of the breeds on the list do not exist.
There are misspellings of many of the breeds on the list.
Some breeds are listed twice under different names.
Lastly, as many of you have commented: "How on earth can X be on that list??" and you'd be correct to doubt that many of those breeds have never been on any kind of restricted list.

This list is essentially a chain letter that was thrown all over the internet with the hope that people would believe it. I'm sure that the ACTUAL list of restricted breeds is probably of substantial length as well, so why not find some sources, do some research, and use that to get the point across instead?

If you wish to fight BSL, you should do so with education and facts. Many people know how I feel about certain breeds, but that doesn't mean someone like me isn't open to listening to the right arguments. Facts demonstrating BSL failing in areas or discussing the expense of enforcing such a thing would be a step in the right direction. Not everyone who supports BSL is an uneducated idiot. BSL doesn't mean that the government is going to go kill all pit bulls. In some places, BSL might mean that a breeding permit is required. I'd support that kind of BSL being spread to ALL breeds in the long run!

It isn't just BSL opposers who do it either. BSL supporters are full of lies and untruths about breeds as well. They claim that these dogs are vicious killers of humans who will attack children and are bloodthirsty demon animals. They need to examine their facts just as much as those who are opposing it.

Both sides need to stop spreading lies and myths and focus on the facts. Yes, many Americans (or people in general in other areas) are like sheep and will just flat out believe everything that anyone tells them. But that doesn't make it okay. Both sides really begin to sound like corrupt politicians to me.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:27 PM
Twin 2.0

Do tell, then, which of those breeds don't exist? What is your proof for saying those breeds don't exist?

BSL is a very real threat to all dog owners. Right now it's easy to be nonchalant about it, because you fear and dislike ABPT's and any other dog with DA-tendencies. It's really easy to support something that doesn't affect you. BSL is very much about "backdoor legislation"...it might not swoop in with the proclaimation of "WE'RE HERE TO KILL YOUR DOG", but they will chip away, bit by seemingly innocent bit, at your rights as a dog owner. First they'll limit the number of animals you can own. Then the types. Then when and how you can have them out in public. Then they'll go after the breeders. Then the rescuers. Before you know it, this particular pot is at a roiling boil and no one can point out exactly when we lost control of the situation.
Old 09-09-2008, 03:57 PM
Felurian

If we let the AR movement and the BSL bs have even one iota of leeway, ALL breeds could be nonexistent. Not just the ones you don't like.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 09-09-2008, 04:22 PM
Top Dog

Kela, a question for you.

You have a standard poodle and a chihuahua correct?

How would you feel if you were told that if either of your dogs were out in a public place they would need to not only abide by the leash laws but be muzzled as well because they were a threat to the safety of others?

How would you feel if you tried renting with your dogs and you were told down because you were told "your dogs are dangerous and too much of a risk"?

You see Zoom is 100% correct. It is easy to be nonchalant about the very real threat of BSL when you do not have one of the breeds targeted.

Its easy to turn a blind eye when it seems like something does not affect you.

The truth of the matter is BSL affects ALL dog owners. No breed is immune and just because your breeds are not on the "list" today does not mean they never will be.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:48 PM
Kela

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoom View Post
Do tell, then, which of those breeds don't exist? What is your proof for saying those breeds don't exist?
Find me a picture of a Kotezbue Husky, an Arikara Dog, or an American Husky for that matter. Tell me the difference between a Blue Heeler and an Australian Cattle Dog. What is an Eskimo Dog? Couldn't they have taken the time to spell Boerboel or Great Pyrenees correctly? American Wolfdog, Timber Shepherd, and Tundra Shepherd I'm pretty sure are all the same animal although "Wolfdog" isn't exactly a "Breed".

And that isn't even all of the inaccuracies of the list. For something to be official, words should be spelled correctly and sources should be cited.

BSL isn't even the issue here, the issue is that the original post contains false information and has no sources to back it up. It is merely some internet hype that got spread around like a chain email.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Kela

Let me phrase it this way. Lets pretend you are a politician running for office. Your opponent goes and tells the world (falsely) that you are a child abuser. Is your response:

a) He kills babies! (which is also false)
b) Focus on the actual campaign and the facts at hand.