Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-13-2005, 11:03 AM
Dog Nut

OF course, we are both assuming that she bought the dog from a pet shop . . one would hope a breeder would care enough NOT to sell her a toy (AKA "Teacup") dog with such a young child!
Old 06-13-2005, 04:04 PM
Big Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymitedoggear
It's not so much about the dog being good with kids as it is about kids being good with dogs.
I really really wish all parents would take the time to teach their kids appropriate behavior with animals, it would cut down on so many injuries (both human and canine) and incidents of families taking their dog to the pound...
Old 06-13-2005, 05:13 PM
Dog Nut

Angry

True, but kids do things behind their parents backs and whatever mom said "no" to usually is more appealing than what she said "yes" to. Of course, will very young kids, you can't count on reason or compassion to stear them away from hurting dogs. One of the sadest things I ever saw:

I was 14 and working at the North Shore Animal League on Long Island. A woman drove to the front of the shelter and saw me. She marched up to me and said "I adopted this dog last week and he bit my son!" I was suprised since the dogs were temperment tested and dogs that are not good with kids were not given to homes with children. Not arguing with her, I asked if she had the dog, and we brought it back into the shelter. I found out from one of the vet techs two days later that they found the cause of this sudden "viciousness" - there was a pencil jammed into the dog's ear! Hmm. . . wonder how that happened!
Old 06-13-2005, 09:46 PM
Top Dog

Having bred Golden Retrivers and knowing how good they were with children, before I sold I would have the family visit many times before the pups were sold...the kids reactions with the pups told me which familys were ready and which were not. There was one family I felt that were'nt ready for a pup yet and promised them the picked of the litter 2 years down the road. Yes, they got the pup ....and now I have him. They turned him into our Golden rescue after 3 years................ My Chip of Bubba !
Old 06-13-2005, 09:57 PM
Harley & Abby

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightymitedoggear
It drives me CRAZY when I hear people recommending small and esp, toy breeds for children.
I totally agree. I would never recommend a Chihuahua to a family with small children. However, I was just saying that the breed can be tolerant of poking and proding by children (to a certain extent, of course). I also agree that children should be taught how to handle a dog or puppy responsibly, and that parents should always keep an eye on children when they are around the dog.
Old 06-17-2005, 04:45 PM
Drellie & Venus

I grew up with all kinds of dogs. When I was 2 my mother took in a bulldog whose family didn't want it because it bit people. Now, she says she never would've done that, but at that time she didn't think about the dog attacking me. As it turns out, that dog (Sam) and I became best friends. I would put doll's dresses on him (they just fit around his neck) and I'd lay with him and he never left my side. He would attack anyone who came into our yard when I was in it, though. My mother had to put up a 9 foot privacy fence as he was able to jump over the 6 foot one we had. We had a german shepherd that we had to get rid of because she decided I was her child and wouldn't let my mother near me.

I got a black lab when I was 18. When he was 5 years old, he bit my 2 year old son. I was sitting in the recliner and the dog was getting petted by me when my son walked up and my dog snapped at him. I know it was out of jealousy and he didn't mean to bite him, but my son fell forward as the dog was snapping. Anyway, luckily my mother loved P.J. (the dog) and she took him in, so I was still able to see him and I knew he had a good home.

It just shows that you can never tell. I think all dogs are individuals. While certain breeds tend toward certain personalities, nothing is written in stone.

BTW, I waited until my son was 10 (this year) before getting another dog and I have made him feed, walk, bathe, and be the main caretaker of them (though, they still recognize me as the alpha of the house).