Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-20-2005, 08:27 AM
Border Collies R' Us

My Border Collies are wonderful w/ kids. They love them to death and would protect them if necessary. I have never had a problem w/ dogs over 5-6 months biting/nipping children/people either. As long as they learn at an early age that biting/nipping is a no no, they should turn out fine. They aren't the breed for everyone though. They require A LOT of physical and mental stimulation. They always need something to do.

There are different lines of BC's also. They have the more "pet/show" lines and then they have the real herding lines. My first BC I bought from a show breeder. He didn't have a full white collar and his front legs turned out a bit. (No biggie for me) He turned out to be one of the best working dogs I have.

Just remember to read up on a breed before you get one....have fun choosing one. There are a TON out there!
Old 05-20-2005, 08:28 AM
Felurian

Grammy, it's hard for someone who's never lived with a German Shepherd to really understand what makes them 'tick.' First and foremost, a good Shepherd is just that - a Shepherd, a caretaker, a creature who takes responsibility very seriously and places the safety and well-being of its charge above all else - no matter what. I don't know about some of the show lines now - you know how I feel about working lines vs. show lines, lol! Even Charley, as much as he loves Shiva and as beautiful as he thinks she is, wants only working lines Filas now

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-20-2005, 09:39 AM
Happy

The best dog for small children is large enough not to be easily squashed (cocker spaniel size or larger) and small enough not to easily hurt or kill the child or his/her playmates in the event of a misunderstanding (Lab-sized or smaller). I'd go to a good shelter and tell the personnel I needed a young, submissive, friendly dog who tolerates a lot of handling and wouldn't grow to the size of an elephant, and is not from one of the breeds that regards fighting as a game. I realize this disqualifies many big dogs who were great childhood pets, but I believe a size limit is a good idea. For one thing, it's hard to tell a child he/she can't walk her pet, and there is no way a child walking one of the larger dogs has any control over the dog. It also disqualifies one of my favorite types, the terriers, which love to fight and are terrific pets except that that zest for battle will involve a little kid in dangerous situations.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:07 AM
no touchy

It depends on the kids and the dog, their personalities. Generally terrier breeds are snappy at times. However, we've had Colby since I was really little, and she was wonderful (still is ). We hadn't planned on getting a terrier or terrier mix because they do tend to be snappy at times, but Colby is great with little kids. She allows anyone to stick their hand in her food bowl while she's eating, take a toy away from her.....she's simply wonderful. Her goal is not to bite someone, her goal is to kiss someone . My nephew absolutely loves playing with her and feeding her.

May, my Lab, is also great with kids. You could literally play tug-o-war with her ears and she'd just sit there wagging her tail. Tippy is also very tolerant. You can easily take things away from her, grab her ears, and she won't do anything except for give you a look that says, "What're you doing?" I remember one time, we were walking the dogs and she spotted a little boy. Loving little kids, she started running after him, trying to play with him. She terrified that poor kid! He ran to his dad screeching.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:08 AM
no touchy

Oh, yes, size does matter. My girls are medium-large in size. Little kids and breeds like Chihuahuas do not mix. My girls weigh between 50-65 lbs..
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-20-2005, 11:31 AM
Happy

One other thing - It's not neccessary to get a big guard breed to have that extra peace of mind about your child's safety. Any dog will discourage evil just by its presence and any good dog will protect his/her child. My childhood dog was a Bearded Collie, weighed about 35 lbs. She'd have killed anyone who hurt me, including family.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:09 PM
Big Dog

I agree that you don't want a dominant dog, but also don't go for the most submissive one that you find, either, some dogs will bite out of fear just because they get so terrified at times. I also agree about it not being completely necessary to get a guarding breed if you don't want a GSD, mastiff, etc etc, my parents' usually laid back retriever mix has shown amazing protectiveness in certain situations.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:27 PM
Stanna

My personal bias for children are newfoundlands, I think they are great with kids. (and gsd's, cause that's what i had, but that's super duper subjective to my personal experience)

Other than my personal preferences, I'd agree with most here and go with that medium sized do. I would also rescue an adult who's temperament you already know.
Old 05-20-2005, 04:31 PM
Top Dog

I agree, a newfie would be awesome...get your grooming tools ready They are outstanding and VERY gentle and loving dogs. They are life savers too, that is always a plus
Old 05-20-2005, 05:17 PM
Top Dog

I definately say rescue no matter what breed. They are already evaluated and you know the personality you're getting. A puppy is soooo much work and you don't know what you're getting. Better yet, a big ole loveable mutt from a rescue group. They're usually the best and don't have the breed genetics issues! (such as seizures, thyroid, cancer, etc.)