Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-19-2005, 05:28 PM
Taters

Default Dogs and Small kids?

When we decide to get a dog, which ones are the best for small children? I know Labs and Greman shorthairs, but I would like to know if there are any others.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:01 PM
Top Dog

Many dogs can be great with small children. I always automatically think labs but threres goldens and basically any other retriver. Out of all my dogs my dobe is the only truly kid friendly dog. I know a lot of people end up getting rid of herding and northern breeds because they are mouthy or nippy.
Old 05-19-2005, 06:32 PM
Top Dog

It depends on what size of dog you want and how much work you are willing to give to your new family member Everyone always assumes that labs and goldens are the best, but keep in mind while these breeds do have impressive temperaments, they are ACTIVE dogs and need a lot of exercise and traing to bring out their full potential. As puppies they can be VERY hyper and a lot of people expect their pup to grow up to be old yeller without any work and are caught off guard when they bring home an out of control, hyper, and at times spastic new puppy...afterall, they are hunting dogs that can flush birds for almost days at a time. If the proper work goes into them they are wonderful and very willing to learn and please you, but you have to take the time and can't assume that breed is what determines a good dog for small children Happy hunting Labs, Goldens, Pugs, Mastiffs, Saint Bernards, Wolfhounds...there are so many, but these come to mind first.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:59 PM
Taters

I don't want one to hyper but than I have to remember that I'm going to have a very hyper toddler soon. Maybe they could wear each other out. Training wouldn't be a problem. I learned from Smkie. I am always home. My house has a very big backyard, plenty of room to romp. It is going to a long time before I get one. So Ihave plenty of time to find the right type for my family.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:20 PM
Big Dog

I agree that labs have great temperaments for kids, but like has already been pointed out, they are VERY exuberent and can be a handful even for an adult, their enthusiasm is good-hearted but you'll have to be careful with small children.

One breed that comes to mind as being very gentle is the greyhound, they're such sweethearts and there are always retired (but not necessarily "old"!) racing hounds that need homes. I work for a vet and we have several clients with them, they are truly golden-hearted dogs.
Old 05-19-2005, 08:55 PM
Top Dog

I always think of Labs too, as I had one while my kids were growing up and she was a rather laid back one....wonderful. But I also had a GSD while my kids were very young, (before the Lab) and he was WONDERFUL also. I think most breeds, if raised with kids and where the dog and the kids are trained to respect and be careful of eachother will be fine. Just socialize, train right and watch them. My Dobe is not too used to kids because he didn't grow up with them. He's a little skeptical. But I know Dobes who were raised with them and they're wonderful, just like my Lab and GSD were...tolerant, protective, companionable, loving, trustworthy, just wonderful. Ya gotta get 'em use to all their friends hanging around too from the get go. Sometimes the protective type dogs may mistake a friend's rough play with hurting their child and may become over protective. A Lab doesn't have strong protective instincts and that is why they often make wonderful dogs for kids.
Old 05-19-2005, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

I had a Golden as a teenager and dearly loved him. Once married my husband wanted a more " motcho" dog...I looked into a GS as I love them... but thought ahead to our future children and didn't want to ever have to decide to give up my 4 legger if it didn't accept a baby. I stuck to a Golden and all 3 were raised with loving goldens. They love babies, children and are more loving and forgiving than Lab....which I love too, but they , I feel, are less tolerant of eye poking, tail pulling and general " kid" stuff. I've never known a Golden owner who second time around chose another breed ( except for those of you who have rescued... bless you ...that's a different story.}
Old 05-19-2005, 11:06 PM
Felurian

If I had small children I would want a German Shepherd to take care of them. No question. They are so intelligent and responsible and feel like they are supposed to take care of everything and everyone. No matter what other dogs I have, I will always want to have one German Shepherd.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-19-2005, 11:30 PM
Top Dog

Renee... I may have gone that way had I had the children before the dog....I just knew there would be no problems with a Golden.... I love GS!!!
Old 05-20-2005, 06:47 AM
Big Dog

When I was a baby we had a GSD/wolf mix that was absolutely the best dog ever. I am NOT recommending you go out and get a wolf hybrid, they're not for everyone, but a GSD is a very loyal companion for a kid, they have less "silly" tendencies than labs (not as much risk of a kid being 'happied' to death), but are true thinking dogs that are great companions for kids.

(Obviously, judging from my username, I may be biased.... )