Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-20-2007, 09:05 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Are Veggies and Fruits good alternatives to store-bought treats?

Yup, you guessed it, questions about alternative treats I feed my dogs. Well, not just treats, sometimes I'll mix it with their food. I usually feed them Beneful, original or the soyprotein, depending on which is available. They love that stuff, and they especially love Veggies and fruits.

I'll buy them the occasional dog treats like Scooby Snacks or beggin strips (for large dogs which I cut in half and give them each a half) but I usually substitute that for veggie or fruit treats. Below is a list of what I usually give them, and I haven't had any problems with it but I want to be sure it's safe to give them... the web actually isn't that helpful that's why I'm posting it here.

Carrots - raw and cooked
Broccoli - cooked
Apple - slices, with or without skin (Greedy only, Sissy doesn't like them)
Banana Chips
Mixed Greens - cooked (turnip, mustard, collard greens)
Cabbage - cooked (they prefer smothered cabbage rather than boiled)
Potatos - smothered (they won't eat potatos unless they're cooked that way)

mix with food:
rice/pasta pieces with any combination of cooked carrots, broccoli, and meat (chicken, beef, or pork) I don't mix stuff with their food every day though.

So far, their favorite as a treat are carrots(raw), broccoli, and banana chips. They get greens, cabbage or potatos(very occasionally) when we cook them. Their favorite green veggie are the mixed greens, it's so cute to see them get excited every time we cook greens because they know they'll get some after everyone else eats.

Does anyone have anything to add? Some other alternative treat I could give them?

Actually, does anyone know of a simple dog cookie/treat recipe that uses kibble? I'm sure the pups would go nuts for something like that.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:59 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

The fresh stuff is great!

I would think twice about the food, however.

Visit www.dogfoodproject.com for some info. There are much better kibble choices out there. Good luck!

Old 05-20-2007, 11:47 PM
Top Dog

BP is right. Beneful is one of the worst commercial dog foods available. Let us know if you're looking for something better!
Old 05-21-2007, 01:11 AM
Puppy Dog

Actually, I am. I live in a small town and the nearest large petoutlet like Petco or PetSmart are rather far away from me, at least 60miles to be exact. There is a feedstore nearby but I don't know all the brands they carry, so Beneful seems like the best choice until I find something better.

Also, Greedy seems to be rather skinny, not like he's not been eating skinny, just awkward since he seems to still be growing and getting broader. Should I put him on a higher calorie diet so he can gain some weight?
Old 05-21-2007, 05:05 AM
Bored Now.

As long as his ribs aren't showing... you're probably good. You ought to be able to feel them. If they're showing, I'd add some human-grade food, like the rice or pork, rather than upping the Beneful.

If you've got a feedstore nearby, chances are they stock good foods or would be willing to stock it for you. Innova, Canidae, Orijen, etc. And if it's JUST raw chicken you have an issue with, not other raw foods, I bet you can still feed your pups raw--so many alternatives to chicken.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:33 AM
Top Dog

I'd worry more about whats in the food than the fresh raw or cooked veggies your giving. =)

I heard rhubarb leaves can make dogs sick. Thats the only veggie I know isnt good to feed.
Old 05-21-2007, 10:53 AM
Puppy Dog

No, his ribs aren't showing, but his figure is showing a rather awkward 'hourglass' figure to it now. He's 10months now, he'll be a year on July 4, so I'm assuming he's still growing. He does still have an awful lot of neck 'scruff', almost 3in of extra skin when I grab him there.

Thanks for the brands, btw. What else should I try to give them as treats?
Old 05-21-2007, 11:49 AM
Top Dog

Dogs are scavenger carnivores. They actually have no real need for fruit or veggies although they can eat them. They have difficulty digesting them and getting the nutrients out so they need to be pulped or steamed - otherwise the dog is basically just consuming them too have them pass through- which is useful only if you are trying to add indigestible fiber.
I have one dog that will eat them, but I certainly couldn't use them as a training treat- they aren't very high value for her. My other dog will walk away from pretty much any fruit and 99% of veggies.

I second the idea to get your dogs off the Beneful and check out the dog food project and some posts about better foods.
Old 05-21-2007, 12:49 PM
<< My baby girl, Pinkie

Have you tried ordering online? I do that sometimes, just to get the heavy stuff delivered to my home, and you can get free shipping quite a bit if you look.

My dogs love apples & carrots, but haven't gotten them to eat bananas; I have yet to try berries on them.

The veggies I put in their meals I grind up in my Magic Bullet first, so they don't pick thru & spit out what they don't want to eat. lol

I love my critters to death, thank God for them everyday, and can't live without at least one. I need them as much as they need me, and have found they're much better than husbands!!
Old 05-26-2007, 11:13 AM
Happy dogs expert

Just be careful not to give any human foods that may be toxic for animals. check out the list here.