Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-20-2007, 10:00 AM
Taxiderpy

Default It's not fair!

You know why people at animal shelters just shouldn't even try to figure out what breed their dogs are? Because they have no clue.

We found a wonderful little girl at the humane society, and she's half off because she's been there more than a month. Here's the problem. They have her marked as a "pit bull".

Now, this dog is 25 lbs, brindled/blue merle/tricolor. She is 8 months old. She is tall and lean for her weight. Her ears stand straight up and flop at the tips. Here is a terrible picture of her face.

Her face markings (She has very heavy black eyeliner on too, which you can't see in the picture) are very close to several catahoula leopard dog pics that I have seen. That and her merle and lean build would make sense with that breed in the mix.

The thing that gets me is she is tiny, has standing up pointy huge ears, and is very trim. If you crossed a pit and catahoula, you'd probably get something bigger than 25 lbs, with floppy ears, and not so trim (more buff) looking. Same thing with an ACD, which is the only other mix I can think of her being and still being a merle dog. She would be a lot buffer instead of long and lean like a hound. I think that she is definitely a bully mix, but leaning towards boston bull terrier.

The frustrating thing about this, is that we submitted an adoption application but probably won't be able to adopt her because someone labeled this obvious mutt who came to the shelter as a stray, a "pitbull", and our landlord has Allstate insurance who won't insure homes with pits. It makes me so angry because there is no way to prove either way what exactly she is. She a just a small mutt and because of the stupidity of insurance companies + ignorant and thoughtless people who do shelter breed designations, this little dog probably won't get a home. You'd think that if the shelter can't adopt certain breeds to homes with certain insurance, they'd make sure to label mutts as the other half of the mix, instead of the supposed prohibited half. ArGH!
Old 05-20-2007, 10:45 AM
treehugging clicker freak

I know how you feel! When the pound, here, labels them as Pit Bulls they are not adoptable. They do not adopt out "pits"
see dogs here
I don't understand how some dogs are 'pits' and others are 'mixes' when sometimes the 'mixes' look more like pits than the pits do
Old 05-20-2007, 10:57 AM
Top Dog

Why don't you take in the pictures you have of the catahoulas and try to talk the shelter into relabelling her so you can take her home? I agree with you, she has some pit but that's sure not what she is mostly made up of.

Please give the shelter people a break. Most people who work at shelters are animal lovers and are there to help save the animals. They are not experts in determining dogs breeds. With a little help from you, maybe this little girl can leave the shelter with you labeled a catahoula mix.
Old 05-20-2007, 11:04 AM
Top Dog

they always seem to go by the head shape. that dog has a pit head. but the body and ears and everything else are off. that is the first thing people see though is that head. very cute dog though and I hope you can adopt!
Old 05-20-2007, 12:06 PM
Top Dog

Brattina a lot of those pits time was up yesterday

Thank you ~Dixie's Mom~ for my awesome siggy!
Old 05-20-2007, 01:26 PM
Who woulda thought <3

APBT can have prick ears.... and they are not supposed to be big dogs....the merle gene can come from a number of breeds....looks like a pit mix to me...

I dont see any catahoula in her.....
Old 05-20-2007, 01:29 PM
treehugging clicker freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxy24 View Post
Brattina a lot of those pits time was up yesterday
I know, isn't it sad ?

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o
Old 05-20-2007, 04:33 PM
Top Dog

She is such a cutie! I agree that she does look to have a fair amount of pit in her. The hard part is that I'm sure the shelters don't want to adopt mislabeled pits out to unsuspecting people. Imagine how upset some people would be to adopt a dog, and then have other people point out that it is a pit. Or to have a dog that they think isn't pit, and as a result run into insurance or BSL problems after adopting the dog. While I know how hard it is for pits to get adopted, it isn't going to help people to have them mislabeled either. What a hard situation.

Old 05-21-2007, 08:59 AM
Squishy face

Since she's so small, maybe she's part Staffordshire Bull Terrier?

"Give thanks to God for being dog. He gave us the joy of angels." - Trixie Koontz, Dog, Trixie Treats & Holiday Wisdom - Christmas is Good!
Old 05-21-2007, 11:45 AM
Rebel With Cause

She is deff. a bully breed. I think that I prefer shelters to label them that way because someone wanting a lab or other dog and finding out it is a bully mix may not be so good. Again because of insurance and places banning them it is better to have the shelter acknowledge that they have some bully in them rather then to get them back later because of breed and not being allowed to keep it. JMO