Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 06-04-2006, 12:27 PM
Top Dog

I've NEVER had a hyper Golden in my 60 years of owning them !! Field Goldens do tend to be more exuberant though.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Dog Crazy

cavalier king charles spaniel...
Old 06-04-2006, 05:17 PM
Felurian

Grammy, I think you're a good testament to the concept, "the owner makes the dog."

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-04-2006, 05:41 PM
Top Dog

The smaller dogs are usually more hyper or more active, along with the Terrier group. Alot of the suggestions for a calm dog are larger dogs. If you need a smaller dog, I would suggest a Pug. I have seen one hyper Pug, but the one we had and most of the Pugs I have been acquainted with have been very calm lovebugs once they're out of their puppyhood.
On the smaller side, I have read that Cavaliers are also calm.
Old 06-04-2006, 10:57 PM
Top Dog

Thanks Renee, but it really goes back to the breeders ...not only I, but the ones I got my dogs from. I have had both light and dark goldens. I found the darker ones ( from field stock ) harder to train . The English Golden is much lighter ( to me too light compared to the original Goldens. ) Bubba in my siggy was to me a true Golden color, though he looks more red in my siggy. I wish I could show a picture of his Grandaddy who was a Champion at Westminister... he looked just like him.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 06-05-2006, 01:33 AM
Evil Kitty taco eater

Quote:
Originally Posted by sue
What about a Lab?
LOL labs are not calm untill after 2 years old sometimes never.
Show bred labs are more laid back then field bred so if you like labs I would go with a show bred one.
Hound dogs are laid back! I love thier howling and barking!

Where am I going? And why am I in this hand basket!!!?
Old 06-05-2006, 02:22 AM
F150 and a .30-06

Quote:
Hound dogs are laid back!
yes because self exersizing by running up and down the stairs, onto the couch around the kitchen into the hall up the stairs on the bed and back again DAILY is really laid back LOL

Sakkara's And Then There's Emma - My heart. My Soul. My Co-Pilot. Feb 26 2005 - Oct 22 2009
Can Ch Liberty's Surfer Girl TT - You will always be with me
Phil Ch Groundsniffin Secret Solo - National Specialty Winners Bitch, Multi Best Opposite In Show
Old 06-14-2006, 07:54 PM
Designated Ball Thrower

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennza
Do you know anything about Greyhounds? I have 2 retired racers, and they are the calmest dogs I have ever had or been around. They are very low maintenance in general! They aren't small, but they actually curl up & take up less room than you might think. It's a big secret what perfect pets these make because the stereotype is that they need lots of room & lots of exercise, which is not true at all. They can run in a small area for 1 to 2 minutes & then are ready to come in & sleep for hours on end. If interested, you should look for a rescue group in your area. A lot of people don't realize that even with the hundreds of rescue groups, thousands of retired racers are euthanized every year. Anyone who goes to the racetrack might as well be holding a gun to their heads. But, besides all of that, there are "greyt" benefits to adopting a retired racer. The good rescue groups cover every detail; they come spayed/neutered and with all of their vaccinations & teeth cleaned. (The adoption fee rarely even covers the cost of all of those things. I've never seen a fee for over $175.). They find the dog that would be the perfect match for your life-style. They can be rescued at any age & they live to be 12 - 14. Many of the dogs are in foster homes before getting adopted, so they have been taught basic house-rules & you wouldn't even have to mess with potty training. They can tell you whether it would prefer to be an only dog or if it gets along with other dogs (small or big), cats, etc.........
Anyway, I could go on & on. Good luck in your search.

Jenny

They ARE awesome dogs!! And we really need more home for them. Our rescued grey,Cashew, was one of the best dogs I ever had!!

Popcorn:http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320230

Pepper- http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320235

Reilly-RIP
12/3/95-5/15/05
http://www.dogster.com/pet_page.php?j=t&i=320483

I Have Been Befriended!

I've Been Frosted! My Turn to Pick a Victim!MUHAHA!

Everyone Thinks Their dog is the Greatest... Because They Are!!!
Old 06-15-2006, 05:54 AM
Show Dog

Would go with greyhounds every day, fab dogs, very calm dont require lots of exercise and very gentle. I've got one of my own and foster for rescue. They do need a comfy spot to sleep though

You bet they die!
Old 06-15-2006, 09:04 AM
Top Dog

Default Get a Wrigley!

We'll we're not really sure about Wrigley's breed--some think border terrier, cocker, lhasa, schnauzer mix but he is incredibly calm. He does not bark..he doesn't run around much..doesn't make noise at night..pretty much just lays under the coffee table chewing on a toy all evening..one 25 min walk is enough to tire him out--and he is only 5 mo! But as we are unclear of what mixture he is--good luck tracking one down LOL!

I also recommend Bassets as calm--our neighbor has one and besides the low baying at times he generally just lays around the back yard.