Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 07-30-2004, 03:03 PM
Wolfpack

Arrow Hi everyone!

Hi!I know I haven't posted replies until now but all I want to say is that the great dane that I own is the most calm dog ever.She is so quiet and calm...What can I say...And I just don't know why she is like that.I mean..sometimes (in the past,I'm saying in the past because now she's over 8 years old and for a great dane that's a little bit old) I wish that she played with other dogs,or run and bring me a stick to play with and maybe even play in the mud (I'm not kidding)..But she was always like this.She never left my side...I mean....I've never seen a dog more good and obediant.And I love her very much and I don't know what I would do without her...Anyway...My point is that a great dane is a perfect dog to have around you.Of course I don't want to generalise with my little story about my great dane...You have to take in consideration many other aspects,features of the breed in question...
Old 07-30-2004, 03:08 PM
Wolfpack

Wink Hi everyone!

Hi!I know I haven't posted replies until now but all I want to say is that the great dane that I own is the most calm dog ever.She is so quiet and calm...What can I say...And I just don't know why she is like that.I mean..sometimes (in the past,I'm saying in the past because now she's over 8 years old and for a great dane that's a little bit old) I wish that she played with other dogs,or run and bring me a stick to play with and maybe even play in the mud (I'm not kidding)..But she was always like this.She never left my side...I mean....I've never seen a dog more good and obediant.And I love her very much and I don't know what I would do withoutt her...Anyway...My point is that a great dane is a perfect dog to have around you.Of course I don't want to generalise with my little story about my great dane...You have to take in consideration many other aspects,features of the breed in question...
Old 07-30-2004, 09:35 PM
Felurian

Nicco, I'm so glad you posted that! Great Danes are one of the great, calm wonders of the canine world.

May your Dane live a long, healthy life. She really is a beautiful creature. I've enjoyed seeing her photos in the gallery.
Old 08-02-2004, 07:55 PM
Are you dead yet?

Labradors really aren't calm dogs. If you buy one from a good breeder, you won't get a bundle of hyperactive nerves, but you also won't get a calm dog.

The calmest breed I have seen so far has been the Basset hound. They're actually *too* calm to suit me, since I'm active, but if you want a couch potato, a Basset is a wonderful dog. Not that they don't like their share of play and exercise, but they wear out quicker.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:09 PM
Felurian

Oddly enough, if you like a giant breed and are willing and able to put in the emotional investment necessary, the Mastiffs are quite calm breeds. The English Bulldog is another, and even the Bloodhound can be a real sofa 'tater.
Old 08-02-2004, 09:24 PM
Are you dead yet?

LOL, It's true that a calm large breed dog takes up less space than a hyperactive small/medium dog. You get accustommed to stepping over a big dog, you never get accustommed to having a 'zooming' dog run into you and scream like he's just been lit on fire. (Hmm, do ya think I've had that happen to me before?)

ENGLISH mastiffs are the calmest of the mastiffs, I believe. Neo's run a close second. (Neutered males, or females. Unaltered males are an incredibly large, slobbery handful)

My prob. with the English Bulldogs is that, sweet as they are, they come with so many health problems and a lot of people don't have $1800+ to spend on buying one from a responsible breeder. (Don't ever get the cheapest one you can find, you're likely to wind up with one messed-up Bulldog)

Mastiffs that AREN'T calm include the Dogue de Bordeaux--Looks like a big marshmallow, but for the first few years is quite the hyper bundle of joy. (115lbs of it, to be precise) The Bullmastiff -- Again, very hyper puppyhood.

One breed I certainly don't recommend as a calm breed is a Papillon. Amusing, yes. Calm, no.
Old 08-18-2004, 09:29 AM
Active Pup

Thumbs up basset!

I definitly have to agree with the guys who have suggested Basset hounds, it is the main reason I went for Bruno, he is a puppy right now but my mother in law has 2 bassets and they are the most chilled out dogs i have ever met.
They are renouned for being the laziest breed, but on the down side they are also renouned for being stupid, which i have NOT found. They are extremely friendly to the point they cry if a passer by doesn't stop to say how beautiful he is and give him a pat, and they are excellent with kids.
The basset hound is definitly the right choice for me, but I would suggest you go for an adult dog if you really can't be bothered with all the vibrancy (and down right hard work) that comes with a puppy.
Happy dog hunting, let us know what you go for.
Old 08-18-2004, 03:11 PM
Felurian

My question is how can anyone pass a Bassett sitting there, gazing soulfully, and not stop to gush?
Old 08-18-2004, 09:03 PM
FaceZ Of DeaTh

Grey hounds are cool ( BE CAREFUL THEY LIKE TO KILL CATS). I suggest maybe a small bull dog. They are very calm. If you like big dogs get a mastiff they are calm.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:26 PM
Puppy Dog

My beagle is very calm believe it or not. Sometimes i have to get HER to play with ME because she's so mellow ! As a pup she was the only one in the litter that just sat and watched everyone jump on each other. It turns out she kept that .. she's a little over a year old now ^_^