Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog and Pet Fun > Cat and Pet Forum

Old 05-20-2007, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

Yep, clicker trained and used homemade salmon treats as a reward.
Lots of interesting articles on www.clickersolutions.com
on how to train any animal with a clicker.

Lynn
Old 05-20-2007, 08:31 PM
Bored Now.

LhasaLover, I didn't mean to give the impression I was hurrying them along. I was just VERY thrilled Emma learned so quickly. Training them's going to take me time, it doesn't matter how much.

Maxy, I trained my cats "sit" the same way I do it for down.. like a dog. Luring them with a treat over their heads into the sit position. I combine "sit" w/ a hand signal, and they mostly respond to the hand signal--so we're working on that. I also ask them to sit before I let them out onto the screened-in porch, or before I feed them, etc. That's been going on for a year or so, but I just got interested in really getting them up to snuff a while ago. For people who tell you they won't do it w/o treats... pfft, ignorance. Mine sit for me b/c they're lazy and want to. I sometimes don't give them treats, I let them sniff the fun smells on my fingers after going outside or pet them. I always reward them somehow.

For "down" I started with Emma, since she is VERY food-motivated and learns quickly. I asked her to sit, got the treat right in front of her nose, then slowly lowered my hand to her paws. As long as she followed my hand, I brought my hand and the treat forward on the floor. When she tried to move forward, I stopped and asked her to sit again, and repeated. She caught on very quickly that lying down was what I wanted, and is now doing it most of the time. Chili's not going to be quite so fun, b/c she's such a wigglebutt, and she likes pets as praise more than treats, but won't follow my hand. I'll get somehing really good for her, though.

Mine know they're being bad when I clap loudly and/or shout "NO!" or "EMMA!" (Emma is always the one getting into trouble, the others respond to it, too.)
Old 05-20-2007, 08:50 PM
Harumph™©®

Cats are very trainable. The thing is, you have to find the motivator for the cat and all cats are not the same. For example, my cat Mojo will jump up on a ledge when I ask him to, he will come to a room I want him to and do pretty much anything I ask because his motivator is..are you ready...he loves when I say GOOT BOY! With emphasis on GOOT. GOOT not GOOD. Good is no good. lol. My late mother had a cat that sat on a chair every night near the dinner table, never touched a thing. He shook hands with every single person he met without cue. His motivator was peanut butter. No kidding. I mean the cat would sit there with peanut butter stuck to the roof of his mouth and he though that was the greatest. So basically, cats DO understand what you want but they need the reptitition AND the motivator. You just gotta find the motivator. They will literally jump thru a burning hoop for that motivator. I also do fire drills with my cats, always have. Basically they see this as a kitty pileup, the sooner the better because in the end there is roast beef. lol.

I've never tried clicker training but I imagine with the right motivator it would be great with cats since hearing is their strongest sense. (not sight like some think).
Old 05-20-2007, 08:53 PM
Harumph™©®

Quote:
Many times I put the key in the door and opened it, I heard 4 feet hit the kitchen floor,
LMAO! I know this routine.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:36 PM
Bored Now.

Thank you, TM

Congrats on the 6,000th post, btw.
Old 05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Harumph™©®

Holy Cow. I did 6000 posts! Yeesh!
Old 05-20-2007, 09:42 PM
Harumph™©®

No make that 6001
Old 05-20-2007, 09:43 PM
Harumph™©®

no....6003...ah nevermind..
Old 05-20-2007, 09:50 PM
Bored Now.

That could go onandonandon....

And here I was amazed at my 400th. I'm still amazed that, somehow, I got to 1,700 on Stratics. I'm not sure what I did before I discovered forums..
Old 05-21-2007, 12:32 AM
<< My baby girl, Pinkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjb View Post
One of my current cats is not as quick to understand. He understands that he will get squirted with a water bottle, but he seems to think it's a game that he doesn't like but will tolerate for us. He will get on the table. We will get the water bottle, and he will squint his eyes waiting on the squirt.
Try hitting him inside his ear after he ignores the first sprays - they really hate that.

I love my critters to death, thank God for them everyday, and can't live without at least one. I need them as much as they need me, and have found they're much better than husbands!!