Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-20-2005, 03:54 PM
Puppy Dog

Examples...... I was walking with my girlfriend and dog through the hills near our house, three ladies were walking their three dogs without leashes. The dogīs, reverting to instinkt - the bond between a "pack" and the protection of territory - run directly for my dog. "Donīt worry, they wont do anything" is what they yelled. Naturally the three dogs started attacking mine, as he retaliated and I pulled him away the women started abusing me and my dog.

This is a case of irrisponsibility from the owners and a clearly false understanding of dog behavior. Cleary it annoyed me.

We were walking through Lindau a city in the south of Germany, a beautiful day, people everywhere enjoying sunny day at the start of spring. A Scottish terrior, which was sitting in the lap of a lady, sharing its masters ice cream came running towards my dog Lino. It stood directly before him and looked directly in his eyes. Lino jumped straight on top of the small dog and pinned him to the ground. I dragged him away, the lady checked out her dog saying "Oh you poor thing" of course saying if there is anything wrong with him when she takes him to the vet we are paying. Itīs pride was the only thing wounded and it is hard to recieve abuse for such things.

This is a case of treating a dog like a human, the dog forgeting the rules of communication between others of its speicies. Looking directly into the eyes of another dog is a direct sign of aggression.It was quite funny when my girlfriend began to qoute from the German law about fault in such a circumstance, the other dog not being on a leash. I was annoyed.

I have no problem with having to walk my dog on a leash,although it would be great to let him run in freedom, there are just to many people and dogs around I wont risk it. Itīs not like he bites everyone he seeīs but if they try to pat him he will.

He was 4 years old when I got him, lived most of those years on the streets of Marroco and the rest in the pound. Obviously he has had bad experiences with humans, he needs quite a lot of time before he trusts them to pat him. I see his aggression towards other animals as repect for me and my girlfriend, he believes we are his "pack", we have gained his trust and he tryīs to protect us.

Unfortunatly he was not a puppy when I got him, otherwise his behavior would be different, but thats the challange of saving the life of a pound dog.
Old 05-20-2005, 03:59 PM
Felurian

To tell you the truth, Patrick, the Terrier probably understood exactly what it was communicating to your dog. I love Terriers, so this isn't a knock on them at all, but they are cocky little monsters and challenging bigger dogs is right in character for them. Terrier owners need to understand and remember this! Leash those pups!

It does get frustrating, being the one who is abiding by the rules and bearing the burden of the consequences of the actions of those who think they don't need to do the same.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-20-2005, 04:03 PM
Felurian

Good point, EliN . . .

Something to bear in mind: if the car had been involved in an accident as a result of that little stunt, Casa would have been criminally and civilly liable. The dog's owners would bear part of the liability as well, of course.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-20-2005, 04:14 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Good point, EliN . . .

Something to bear in mind: if the car had been involved in an accident as a result of that little stunt, Casa would have been criminally and civilly liable. The dog's owners would bear part of the liability as well, of course.
No doubt. And the lesson to be learned? "Was it really worth it?"
Old 05-20-2005, 04:53 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
indespicable.
I think you mean despicable. And you are sooooo right!

Quote:
Casablanca is here only to bait us, folks. Ignore him/her. For someone to come to a dog lover's discussion board and explain how he/she actually WHISTLED for a dog to run out into traffic so it would be possible that the dog was hit and killed to "teach its owner a lesson" is indespicable. That's it. GAME OVER.
(Thanks Eli...You caught on fast to this baiting bs) Yup....game over.
Old 05-20-2005, 05:07 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doberluv
I think you mean despicable.
Oooops... you're right!
Old 05-20-2005, 05:46 PM
Taters

I have always thought of our pets as a member of the family but treat themas the speices they are. It is not good for the animal or us if they think they are human. It is annoying when people have let their pets think they are human. Take for example some poeple I use to work for. They had a Dauchsand that had no manners. He would bark at you whenever you came in the room. He even bit my mom and I once or twice. His owners would say sorry and then say he has just had a bad day. Never would they take any action to teach this dog any manners. They're favorite saying was "Poor little Danny". It wasn't just annoying it was dangerous. What if he bit someone worse than he got us?
Old 05-23-2005, 08:34 AM
Happy

I wasn't baiting anyone, just telling a funny story. If it's not to your liking, please feel free to ignore me but enough whining about how I'm despicable . It's a big board, plenty of room to disagree without being petty.
Old 05-23-2005, 08:51 AM
Puppy Dog

Isnīt that the idea of a forum, to share your views, ideaīs and experiances? Everyone has the right to disagree, but no need to attack at a personal level.
Old 05-23-2005, 09:01 AM
Top Dog

Although I personally do not like the idea of actually calling a dog over in the hopes it got run over or that it made the owners think in future, I agree with the problem of off leash dogs, there are many out there that THINK they have total control over their dogs off leash (some do) many don't, I have biggish dogs, they are a breed advised not to be allowed off lean unless in an enclosed area, I knew this when I got my dogs, so its not a problem walking them on leash, but the amount of times that I have been walking my dogs on lead and yappy, over excited dogs head stright for us, luckily I have good control with them, but what if.... my dog did in fact harm the other dog in the fracas, 1 I would feel awful because my dog had harmed another dog 2,I would be angry I had been placed in this position. it is not acceptable letting dogs off in public areas as far as I am concerned, those days are now gone I feel, yes let your dogs run in open spaces where they cannot harrass other dogwalkers, but in dog busy areas keep them on lead, it is not fair on the owners that are trying their best, giving what exercise they can on lead, and for it to be a nightmare each time they walk their dogs. this is my oppinion

Mo