Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-19-2005, 12:22 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Attitude of dog owners

I dont know what the attitude of dog owners where you live, but here is something else. A lot of the dog owners in Germany donīt understand that a dog is a dog and not a human.The more the dog is treated like a human, the more inclined it is to forget the rules of the dog "haerachy"(sorry, the longer I live here the worse my english is) .

I live in an area of Germany that is renowned for outdoor activities and walking the dog seems to be the favourite. The problem is that most walk their dogs without a line and although yes, I think thats great for a dog to have that freedom, you have to be prepared for the responsibility of what your dog does.

My dog comes from a pound, he was 4 years old when I got him and although he looks cute and friendly, he brought with him aggression toward strangers and dogs alike. Unfortunatly this will also remain. As I feel responsible for my dog and his actions, We walk only when he is on the lead. It is only to offen that a dog comes running towards us, the owner yelling "donīt worry, my dog wont bite, heīs such a nice dog, he doesnīt cause any problems". Then wondering why my dog starts to attack. Then of course checking out their poor dog and saying that any damage will be paid for by me. This is naturally nonsence, the law says I am right as my dog was on the lead.

The reason- the dog is treated like a human and forgets the laws of a dog and the owner forgets that a dog is an animal and will always hold wild traits.

This mentality is new to me, I grew up in Australia on the land training dogs as working animals. Anyway it anoys me.
Old 05-19-2005, 12:30 PM
Felurian

We have that problem all over, Patrick. It's annoying at best, and enraging at worst.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-19-2005, 12:31 PM
Puppy Dog

Excellent quote from Mark Derr
Old 05-19-2005, 01:04 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick and Lino
A lot of the dog owners in Germany donīt understand that a dog is a dog and not a human.The more the dog is treated like a human, the more inclined it is to forget the rules of the dog "haerachy" The reason- the dog is treated like a human and forgets the laws of a dog and the owner forgets that a dog is an animal and will always hold wild traits.
Huh? I don't see how "treating dogs as humans" has anything to do with irresponsible dog owners not using a leash when walking a dog. Whenever I go to Germany, I think it's really cool to see people bonding with their dogs and taking them in to restaurants. They're mostly all on a leash, too. And well behaved, I may add.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:11 PM
no touchy

There are a lot of people that walk their (untrained, might I add) dogs off-leash. We do have leash laws. I've had policeman slow down in their cars twice while I was walking my girls to check if they were on leash (which they were). My dogs are fully trained, and at times I do trust them off-leash on a walk, but rarely, if we're walking near houses, and not in a large open area where they can run and have fun without getting a ticket from a policeman.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:16 PM

I'm not sure I understand your point....is it that you are angry that you leash your dog when others don't...and obviously there has been some problem??? I'm not quite seeing that as a problem with people seeing their dogs as 'human'. I'm seeing it as something you wish others would do...contain their dogs on a leash. I guess if your dog is that aggressive, you have to use extra caution when in public. Yes....there are alot of times I wish people would leash their dog instead of the 'oh, he won't hurt you' speech. Agreeing with EliNHunter.......that's just owner irresponsibility..nothing to do with the dog and how it is treated.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:19 PM
Felurian

I think what Patrick was talking about in his remark about people treating dogs like humans was directed at the fact that we tend to forget that they don't always have the same reactions to things that we do. They will always be, no matter how much of the veneer of civilization we teach them, creatures very much in tune with the world of instinct. We teach them to understand what we want and to participate in our world, then forget that they have their own world as well. Part of the attraction dogs have for us is that innate ability to walk on the wild side.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
— Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-19-2005, 01:38 PM
Top Dog

Yes, exactly Renee. People have to realize that dogs are creatures with wild tendencies.

For example, my bird will call out and squawk for about 15-20 mins in the morning and sundown (very loud I might add). Usually the same time of the day, everyday (give or take 15 mins) People who own these birds complain that they are making too much noise. They have to realize that Cockatoos are wild animals and when they call out like this, they are only calling out to the 'Flock'. Its in their nature and we should never want to discourage this. Now, would I allow my bird who is well behaved, near a stranger without the fear of him biting them ........ no.

As much as we control our animals, you never know what they will do in certain situations at any given time.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:11 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
As much as we control our animals, you never know what they will do in certain situations at any given time.
Yes, that is so true.

Well..I treat mine like humans and I treat them like dogs. LOL.
Old 05-19-2005, 07:33 PM
Top Dog

I let Hunter go off leash on our night time walks. And he always sticks right by me. We sometimes pass other night time walkers (even with dogs!) and he pays no attention to them (I know... weird! I am BLESSED!). I also love on him, kiss him, and let him sleep on my bed. Guess I'm a bad person who treats their dog like a human.