Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-25-2005, 08:33 PM
Top Dog

One thing about Wolf mixes that I have seen is the a beautiful and the way they move just give them a different feel.
Old 06-12-2005, 09:35 AM
Active Pup

Are you sure those dogs were hybrids? I think it's sick to mix dogs and wolves. Hybrids are not just beautiful they can be dangerous. Hybrids are difficult to handle and you must have a lot of experince of dogs to keep animal like that..
Old 06-12-2005, 11:51 AM
BusterLove

i have never met a wolf cross, but that is because we have no wolves in australia, dingoes on the other hand are actually an endangered species as the bush dogs breed with them, there are very few purebred dingoes left.
on the other side, there are also a lot of dogs as pets with dingoes in them

Old 06-12-2005, 11:53 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe
We have situations whereby Malamutes are crossed with GSD unscrouplous breeders claime they are wolf hybrids.

Mo
and the worst bit is, you shouldnt be using a wolf as the sellignpoint, it should be put in as a word of warning, i love wolves myself but they are still wild animals, it is like trying to keep a lion or tiger as a pet, possible but dangerous.

Old 06-12-2005, 11:56 AM
BusterLove

Quote:
Originally Posted by moe
I have Alaskan Malamutes. they have a strong prey drive already they don't need the wolf prey drive adding to this, I really don't know why people cross/mate like this the wolf is a magnificent breed in its own rights, and so are malamutes, personally I don't think mixing the two make a more than magnificent animal, but that only my personal oppinion.

Mo

do you think that this is people trying to something like the labradoodles, a cute cross, an affordable yet stylish mutt???

Old 06-12-2005, 11:57 AM
Felurian

Quote:
Originally Posted by EliNHunter
I've always wanted a wolf/standard poodle mix.
ROFLMAO! You'd get a Poodle that the other dogs would learn not to tease about the silly hair-do!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-12-2005, 05:47 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrose_s
do you think that this is people trying to something like the labradoodles, a cute cross, an affordable yet stylish mutt???

I think its the macho thing once again, there are people that "think" to own one of these somehow puts a feather in their caps, by being able to "control" something that is seen as a "wild " animal, same as some people keep large cats etc. its an image thing, and personally I think its extremely foolish. if you have say a malamute 9/10 you know what your are getting, mix wolf into that and you can have a dog that can weigh anything up to 190lb(giant mal) with the unpridictability of a wolf, you may have an extremly dangerious animal on your hands.

Mo
Old 06-30-2005, 05:30 PM
stirder

dna can only tell if the supposed parents are truly the parents. it cannot differentiate between breeds, or domestic dog and wolf. wolf is canis lupis. that is a general term that covers all the subspecies including the domestic dog. for instance...arctic wolf is canis lupis arctos, domestic dog is canis lupis familiaris. and it is possible for a high wolf content hybrid to show only/mostly dog physical/mental characteristics, and a low wolf content hybrid to show only/mostly wolf physical/mental characteristics....
here are a few pictures. can anyone tell how much wolf is in each one???
#1...

#2...

#3...
Old 06-30-2005, 05:40 PM
Top Dog

Hmm not sure. #1 maybe 25%, #2 75%, #3 nothing? Or maybe all nothing?
Old 07-01-2005, 03:03 PM
stirder

answer....
#1: pure wolf
#2: pure alaskan malamute
#3: 50% german shepherd and 50% wolf