Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-15-2007, 08:51 PM
Who woulda thought <3

Unhappy Did I screw up????

Quote:
Originally Posted by showpug View Post
She should be fine on EVO then. It's just dogs over 50 lbs at maturity that should wait.

Most dogs are done growing at a year, especially a medium sized 50 pounder.
ETA: ^^ that was a quote to a thread I made about switching Chloe to EVO when she turned one...

I was just thinking about this the other day...and I dont know what to do...

I though Chloe was done filling out, but obviously she's not...the last time at the vet (when she had her blood pressure re-checked) and she weighed 57 pounds (those extra pounds just seemed to come out of nowhere) and she still has about 6 months before she will be 2 and I'm going to venture a guess and say that she will be in the 60 pound range when she hits the 2 yr mark...and I have been feeding her EVO for about 6 months...

Did I screw up???... I really thought she was done growing and filling out

Last edited by jess2416; 05-15-2007 at 09:06 PM.
Old 05-16-2007, 12:41 AM
Top Dog

60 lbs. vs. 50 lbs. is nothing to worry about. Her most rapid growth period was the first year. Any weight she puts on now is likely just filling out, not actual bone growth. I wouldn't worry...
Old 05-16-2007, 01:57 AM
Rebel With Cause

I don't think so. She looks quite good.
Old 05-16-2007, 04:25 AM
BusterLove

harry's starting fill out now. he got real big real fast. but now he's getting a lot chunkier

Old 05-17-2007, 07:16 PM
Fishies!

You just want to avoid the really rapid growth, especially with the giants. 50lbs isn't a magical number, and for that matter, one year isn't either.

Buster went on Evo at 11 months because a, he gained 3 lbs over the previous 3 months (ok, so he actually lost some fat, and did grow a bit ) and he was going to start with the rollerblading and other activities. Any growth he has left is minimal and not rapid (although he is toping out near 40 lbs). Now I'm starting to see some muscle start to come in, with associated weight gain, but no more bone growth to worry about.

If he was a Saint, I WOULD be more careful at this stage, but for a medium size dog there is relatively little to worry about now.
Old 05-19-2007, 02:38 PM
Felurian

My bunch was on it shortly after it became available - Kharma was a little over a year old, I think. No problems. It actually helped her fill out better, I believe.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 06-11-2007, 09:42 PM
Top Dog

I know this is an older thread but I was talking to my dad about this. He says dogs finish growing in height and such by the age of one. However they haven't gained their muscle mass, and there strenght untill about the age of 3 years.
Old 06-12-2007, 03:44 AM
BusterLove

i don't think its always 3 years, i usually see it by 18-months to 2 years but it probably depends on the breed of dog. mac stopped growing at about 7 months and was full muscle by 12 months. now at about 16 months she looks so mature, whereas harry stopped growing at about 12 months and is now starting to come into his own at about 14 months.

Old 06-12-2007, 08:20 AM
Dog Show Addict

Riot went on the EVO Red Meat formula when he was a year and a half roughly.. It helped him gain some weight to fill out but mostely it help with his muscle development!
Ares
Princess aka Tettles