Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-15-2007, 03:20 PM
Fishies!

Default What should be more popular

Well, which ones should be more popular than they are? Done responsibly of course.

My vote to the larger Spaniels. Springers, water spaniels, Boykins and Clumbers. They could really make great dogs for people, but I don't see more around.

Larger than the Cocker, for the medium dog people, some hair, but it is not normally of the GSD insane shedding type, and overall, rather friendly. Springers in particular should probably be more popular than Labs. Any of the bouncy exuberance that gets a lab evicted is at least less severe with the smaller dogs, but they still excel at all the same fun stuff.
Old 05-15-2007, 04:10 PM
Snow Girl

I think "responsibly popular" is an oxymoron in this day in age...Are you simply asking which breed would be the best over-all family dog for the first-time dog owner?

If so then I would say Poodles. There is a size to suit everyone and their temperments are fantastic! They are also very willing-to-please and incredibly smart so training is relatively easy.

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"
Old 05-15-2007, 07:25 PM
Active Pup

I agree with Poodles.
I really wanted to get one but my husband said that he didn't want to be seen with a Poodle and would never walk it.
*Imagines husband walking fluffy pink poodle* hehe...how fun!
Old 05-15-2007, 07:32 PM
Top Dog

But with poodles comes either professional grooming or learning to do it; as a former Bedlington owner, I will never own a dog with those needs again.

While I like springers, I must say, the one Clumber I've known was a heck of a lot of hair and drool - I have a hard time picturing them making it big.

I don't know what should be more popular. But then, I still don't get the lab obsession, so clearly I'm not with the in-crowd.

Old 05-15-2007, 07:45 PM
Top Dog

When it comes to Sporting dogs , I always thought I'd down size to a Springer if I couldn't have a Golden . Now I know it's not size but the personality ! I'm happy with my part Golden mutt !

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-15-2007, 08:02 PM
cuckoo

I see a Beauty that is IMO not easily matched in Irish Setters but I never see them in real life . Always in pics or watching a dog show on tv.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:04 PM
Walks into Mordor

Blackmouth curs, of course! I'm absolutely in love with this breed. Zeus is such a sweetheart, and a wonderful dog. I think it's a shame that more people don't know about what great dogs they are. I'd love to be able to breed them someday.
Old 05-15-2007, 08:35 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Blackmouth curs, of course! I'm absolutely in love with this breed. Zeus is such a sweetheart, and a wonderful dog. I think it's a shame that more people don't know about what great dogs they are. I'd love to be able to breed them someday.
I'll live down the road and breed Mountain Curs, okay? Have you met many other curs? Are they all as nice and amazing as Zeus and Meg? If so, I agree; there should be more out there.

Old 05-15-2007, 08:53 PM
Your Mom

None of them. I wish bulldogs were LESS popular. The day either of my breeds becomes popular will be the day that I switch breeds. Popularity ruins. Plus I don't think just ANYONE should be able to get my dogs. I'd like to see circles closed for the breeds I love: you have to know someone to get one. It would make it a hell of a lot harder to get a dog, and keep the breeds true to what they were developed for.
Old 05-15-2007, 11:11 PM
Snow Girl

Quote:
Originally Posted by SisMorphine View Post
None of them. I wish bulldogs were LESS popular. The day either of my breeds becomes popular will be the day that I switch breeds. Popularity ruins. Plus I don't think just ANYONE should be able to get my dogs. I'd like to see circles closed for the breeds I love: you have to know someone to get one. It would make it a hell of a lot harder to get a dog, and keep the breeds true to what they were developed for.
Ah that would be great!!!!

"When the rain pours down from the heavens, take my hand and spin me around and we shall dance through the barn at midnight until the moon pokes through the clouds once more and the stars continue our dances in the skies"