Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-09-2007, 04:29 PM
Are you dead yet?

Past the age of 2 I do yearly titers. So far none of my dogs have needed additional vaccines.

I do the full puppy series, and then a booster 6-12 months later, and the required rabies vaccines.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:56 PM
Chihuahua Power!

Past the age of 16 months we do yearly titers... rabies is required here every 3 years, though.

L to R: Chloe, Rylie, Emma, Tucker, and Rory
My Blog- Chihuahuas are not Sheep
Old 05-09-2007, 06:22 PM
Top Dog

I trust my vets and leave it up to them .

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-09-2007, 07:10 PM
Obvious trollsare Obvious

AAHA vacc protocol is every three years after puppy shots and one year boosters for DHPP and rabies. I may titer at three years, Or I may give all the vaccs. Less worried about it now that a lot of clinics are following that. Don't feel it's as bad for over vaccinating.

Stop paddling your own douchecanoe

CRB Houdini's Apple Cider RXMCL AGDC AADC MSDC MJDC RNT CL3-F CL3-H EXJ Bronze
AAC's Top Dog List ~~ 2007-11 Q's ~~ 2008-11 Q's ~~ 2009-10 Q's
AAC's Overall Top Dog List - 47 Q's and 7 Titles

Stanton Acres Out Of The Ashes SGDC RNMCL MJDC ADC CL3-F CL3-S CL3-H SD-S (SP)
AAC's Top Dog List 2009 - 12 Q's

Stark Naked Burn It To The Ground

Old 05-09-2007, 09:25 PM
Salty Sea Dog

i titer for everything butt rabies, since its mandetory we do rabies every 3 yrs. everything else though i prefer not to give it unless we have to. chis are highly prone to bad vaccine reactions.

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-09-2007, 09:31 PM
Top Dog

My dogs have all had their series of puppy vaccines, a couple of Rabies vaccines and we've done boosters every 3 years. However, I'm not going to be doing this any longer now that I am more informed about vaccine reactions and such, especially being that my breed is extremely prone to them. On the advice of my breeder and friends who are very knowledgeable about vaccines, I'll only be giving a Parvo vaccine (not a mixed vaccine) and possibly Distemper (but there is a lot of concern about giving this to Tollers) to any future pups and then I'll do Titers. I have to check if the rabies one is mandatory here or not, and if it isn't, no rabies vaccine will ever be given to any of my dogs again.

Ripley
Keira CGN
Journey - Oracle Twist of Fate TreeStarr
Dance - Tollwest's Dancing In Style CGN FM
Old 05-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Loves off-leash training!

It's been a great thing for dogs that the veterinary teaching colleges have finally backed the concept of fewer vaccines. It used to be that the same vaccines were given year after year but with the current knowledge only an unscrupulous vet would recommend yearly vaccinations.

I still go through a full regime of puppy vaccinations with mine, although I do separate some of the vaccines. I will usually have a booster given 16-18 months after the last puppy vaccine and then - other than the rabies every three years as required - I rarely vaccinate for anything. Between the early vaccinations and the exposure to other dogs that my dogs get (meaning that they continue to build immunity with small exposures to various diseases) I have never had a problem. Unless I absolutely had to put them in a kennel situation where kennel cough vaccinations are required, I never even use bordetella vaccines. And for here we don't typically give lyme, giardia, corona, etc.

And even better? Alaska doesn't have a problem with heartworm, fleas or ticks - so no Frontline or any of those types of things is needed either! Our dogs can live pretty chemical/vaccination/medicine free.

Melanie and the gang in Alaska
Old 05-09-2007, 10:42 PM
But please, call me Barb

Dante got his 1-year boosters and from here on out it's Rabies as required and titer for the rest.
Well 'cept Boretella only because the kennel requires it.

See Jean Dodds' reccomendations, interesting for Giardia, Corona, Lept and Lyme
http://www.weim.net/emberweims/Vaccine.html
Old 05-09-2007, 10:49 PM
*Biter*

I adhere to Dr. Dodd's puppy protocal, titers yearly after that, and rabies as per my state law. I've seen firsthand what over vaccinating (and under vaccinating) can do, and I've become a very cautious person on that matter. One persons regime does not necessarily work for the next person, so I encourage everyone to speak in depth with their veterinarian, and if you are not satisfied, consult with another.

Ditto - 2 year old APBT and Corvus - 7 year old supermutt
Old 05-10-2007, 06:35 PM
Top Dog

I titer my dogs, and give rabies every 3 years as law mandates.

The mercury free vacs are actually "thimerisol free" vacs, which I just did this year when I did rabies.

T Free vac's are single dose vacs that have a shorter shelf live than multi dose vacs. Some vets don't carry them because of the shorter shelf life, and it's more cost effective to get multi doses. They did NOT cost any more than normal thru my vet.

My youngest dog at the moment is 6, my next dog will only receive puppy shots, (and those will be single doses spaced out) and then titer .

Vets don't seem to tell you or suggest Thimerisol free vac's, I guess they figure it's easier to keep multi doses on hand. Luckily I do have a vet who keeps TFree vac's available or gets them if you want them

diane