Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-09-2007, 02:57 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

Default To Vaccinate Or Not To Vaccinate

Some say dogs should have vaccines yearly, some say they should never be vaccinated and some vaccinate to a certain age.

Personally I vaccinate until the age of 5. For me, I see no reason to vaccinate after that.

I have been hearing so much about vaccines lately and I am wondering what your take is on this.

OOOPS why did I post this here. Thought I was in the health section. Can someone please move this. Thanks. Sorry about that.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:44 PM
Top Dog

Vaccinate your puppy through the whole series. Do a follow up in one year. Then vaccinate every 3 years. Vaccine immunity does NOT last forever although many people like to wish it did.

Of course, when my dogs reach an old age, I no longer vaccinate except for rabies which is required by law.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:53 PM
whatszmatter

my 7 year old had ONE puppy shot, a half dose of Parvo vacc. nothing else and Rabies as required by law. Still shows strong immunity for titers. Some vet's in the past couldnt' understand it, i'm glad I found one now that can. A strong dog has a strong immune system and is much better than any shot can do.
Old 05-09-2007, 03:56 PM
Rebel With Cause

Due to allergies I titer test now and have opted to not risk Whiskeys life for
Corona Bordetella or Gehardia. They are all treatable. as is lyme so don't take the risk. The other vacs will be given when needed. Exception is rabies which is mandatory.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:03 PM
Top Dog

I will not be giving any more vaccines to Kai or Zoey unless a titer test indicates it's necessary. I believe that vaccinations may have caused Kai's IBD. I won't be taking the risk again.
Old 05-09-2007, 04:43 PM
Dog Show Addict

It is law here to have at LEAST the rabies vaccine.

Riot gets Rabies, DHPP, Lepto as well as Bordatella.. he will have to end up getting the Giardia vaccine as well because its a problem around here. (Every three years)

He gets his vaccines split though so its not too much at once.

He will always be vaccined for as long as hes classed as a "working dog".

He travels WAY too much to not be vaccinated.

When we lived in Kingston, his SAR partner had to be Titre tested though because of the reaction to the vaccines.

Once I get my discount at work I will look into titre testing as I do agree with this method much more.
Ares
Princess aka Tettles

Old 05-09-2007, 04:57 PM
savethebulliedbreeds

I phoned our vet just now about the titer test and she said that a lady called about it the other day. They have to have the blood sent away and she said the people that do the testing didn't even really know about it. I take it this is something fairly new?

Regardless, Magnus is now 3 and he is done for vaccines. I am going to do Maisey's second set and then again at a year but then she is done.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:09 PM
Rebel With Cause

You can also request a mercury free vac. as I have done. These are a bit more costly because they have no preservatives but some vets will get them in for you. I believe they are safer then the others and I pay for them before the vet gets them. It was the only way he would do that. Given the reactions of dogs it is what I have chosen because I strongly feel that mercury is was is causing the problems. It is poisonous. I did note Whiskey did not have as bad a reaction to the non preserved ones.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:14 PM
Ruled by a RED boy!

I did ALL of Caiza's puppy vaccines and now he doesn't need any shots for 3 years or unless the titer says otherwise Rabies is mandatory every 3 years.
Old 05-09-2007, 05:16 PM
Top Dog

Who wouldn't want a mercury free vaccine? That's ridiculous. They should ALL be mercury free.