Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-17-2005, 11:23 AM
Top Dog

Default Babies and dogs-Opinion please

I want to hear from anyone and everyone who has a lot of dogs, that's 3 or more and has had a baby (as in human baby.) The reason I am asking this is because my husband and I have soon to be 4 dogs...we love dogs. I show my pugs in AKC conformation as my hobby, but most of all, our dogs are a huge part of our family. We also want to have children eventually. This does NOT mean that I would ever stop showing my dogs, keeping my dogs, or loving my dogs, but everytime my family hears of us getting a new K9 family member all they say is the famous..."aren't you ever going to have kids?" OR, I get the "you think your dogs are your top priority, just wait till you have a baby, that will all change!" I guess after all this negative talk I get a little frusterated. I want both and I plan on having both. I realize it may be a little harder, but it would be well worth it. Nothing gets me more heated then people who abandon their dogs after having children So if there is anyone out there that sucessfully does both, and maybe even competes with their dogs WHILE HAVING CHILDREN, I would LOVE to hear from you so I can finally hear some positive feedback on the subject. Thanks!!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:58 AM
Felurian

LOL! Well, I haven't HAD any kids, but I've been a kid who grew up with dogs and I've watched my sister, who is six years younger, grow up with dogs, as well as seeing my friends who have raised kids with and without dogs.

The kids who grow up with dogs being important family members are just 'different.' They are less self-centered and seem to find it easier to look at life through compassion's lens. They also have more respect for other living beings of all kinds - provided, of course, their parents have raised them to treat their pets with respect.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-17-2005, 12:07 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

had both..still have both..works just fine..the human heart is amazing at it's ability to expand and expand..a child is not a dog..a dog is not a child..and you can and will love both differently and at the same time..see my no film thread i posted yesterday..i will go find the link. here tis
http://www.chazhound.com/forums/showthread.php?t=5280 just takes some extra effort in the training and a bit of common sense..if Jory was here all the time, Vic would know and be fine,,but since he just arrived from Texas..and Vic is so hyper i thought it best to take it slow.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-17-2005, 12:18 PM
Top Dog

I have always heard also that kids that grow up with dogs or cats tend to have less allergies as an adult. Probably lower blood pressure too. Animals make you happy.

Well they make me happy as I am sure they do all you.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:23 PM
Felurian

You're right about the allergies, Bogo - even the medical community has decided that's true.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-17-2005, 12:33 PM
Top Dog

Bogolove, that is totally untrue (the allergy part). People can get accustomed to their pets, but they will still be allergic to others. I've had severe pet allergies all my life even if I have always lived with cats. It just wasn't too bad with mine except when I left for a couple weeks or more, then it was hell when I came back. If I visited people who had cats, it was bad as well. I went through 7 years of shots to get rid of it, it never worked. I still have pets though, and I do get used to mine, but other people's pets still make me sick.

I have 3 cats and a dog, and I'm working on getting pregnant as we speak, and I still want another dog later. I agree with Renee in the sense that children that grow up with pets are often more sensitive to other living beings as a whole. Honestly I couldn't imagine have children without pets. You have to be careful with dogs though, but if you have pugs at least they are less likely to hurt a baby when trying to play.

Although, I don't think that you will be able to compete much with your pets for a while. Some 7 year old kids will love dog shows, but under that age you won't really be able to take care of the dogs AND the children - unless you find someone else to take care of them when you are showing your dogs. Bottom line, if it's too far from your house it will probably not be possible for a while, because children require lots of attention and I don't think it would be fair to leave them alone one week end every month for shows.

I'm not familiar with the dog competition world, but I think that you will have to take a break from it when your children are small. But keep in mind that you will have all your life to show your dogs, but not that long to have children.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:38 PM
Felurian

Fran, Bogo's right and the science finally proves it, but it doesn't always work for everyone. Guess you just got stuck with the rarer condition.

Part of the allergic reaction some people have to animals other than their own, especially in different environments isn't necessarily to the dander, either, although it can be. Animals - particularly cats - pick up all sorts of allergens from the environment and carry them on their fur.

Rumi

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-17-2005, 12:42 PM
Top Dog

Franz 27...I only show locally about 1 weekend a month and I don't spend the night. We stay at the show for about an hour and a half. That's it, just long enough to show and go! I have an incredible husband who will be as much of a parent as I will to the baby and he will be there to cuddle the baby while I am in the ring for 15 minutes! On occasion we may go to a hotel etc. The baby would always come and my husband would be there as a supportive helping hand as he has always been.

Thanks to everyone for their encouragement. I truly believe that kids need a ton of loving attention and I would never ignore that need, but showing my dogs is in my bones and I don't know if I could live without it. If we have a baby, the baby will be part of it, and not left behind My young nephews attend my dog shows and love it!
Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
Top Dog

When we first moved to our house the next door neighbor raised and bred Husky's. She had 2 show dogs. She also had 3 children, the twins were only 4 when we moved here. I dont know how she did it before we moved into our house but I know she continued to do certain dog shows. The kids would stay with their grandparents when dad had to work so she could do the dog shows.
Old 05-17-2005, 12:44 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

it isn't so much the dander..it is the saliva and body wastes.. i have extreme allergy from long term exposure..that is what the doc said to me..he never saw such a reaction to dogs..i get near a kennel or shelter and i about suffocate..tho i worked in one for two decades. If i am around unwashed dogs i get the same thing...Mom had a dog that licked herself all the time and being around her was like sniffing laundry soap up my nose..i wash my dogs twice a week (their coats and skin are just fine..in fact better than anybody else's dog i have seen and they smell a lot better too) so that takes care of the problem completely.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,