Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dogs - General Dog Chat

Old 05-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Stanna

Default Opinions on toys :)

There seems to be a lot of different opinions on puppy toys out there lately. I'd like to hear what folks here think on the following options, thanks!

How many 'types' of toys. Just Kongs? All safe toys? How about plush?

How many at a time? Leave just one or two for the puppy to learn not everythign on floor is his? Rotate the types of toys to keep him interested? Leave tons of toys out already for him to go through and always have something he's interested in available?

Does NILFI allow for leaving his favorite toy out all the time? Should toys always be picked up to enforce NILIF? If yes, how long should he be allowed his toy? 1 hour, 8 hours?

Thanks for everyone's input. Need to re-evaluate what's best now that the puppy is almost done teething .
Old 05-17-2005, 10:16 AM
Felurian

Mine love Planet Dog's Orbee toys. They are squooshy, but amazingly tough! Shiva and Kharma have a couple of the large Orbee-Tuff bones that they love and haven't been able to destroy. The only problem we have at all with them is Kharma keeps stashing them where Shiva can't find them

I don't know about the NILIF issue.

Mine have access to all of their toys - or would if Miss Kharma would stop hiding and hoarding!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-17-2005, 10:22 AM
Top Dog

Hehe good questions. My puppy (almost 6 months old) has 10 toys or so, including the chew bones. Mostly 'rope' or kong types of toys, with a few rubber one. No plush, because my husband doesn't want him to get used to playing with furry things, but I know he would love them. His favorites are a ball that squeaks horribily, a rubber toy with 4 handles, one of those rope things, an air kong, a ring in rope with some balls attached to it, and a cloth frisbye.

I leave his toys out all the time, and at night he gets a few in his crate (just not the noisy/big ones). I use NILIF for the rest (food, treats), or when I give him a new toy. But my main obsession is that, as I can't spend all my time taking care of him and we don't have another dog, I don't want him to be bored... although I still think his favorites are the wood sticks he gets from the yard
Old 05-17-2005, 10:45 AM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il
Mine love Planet Dog's Orbee toys. They are squooshy, but amazingly tough! Shiva and Kharma have a couple of the large Orbee-Tuff bones that they love and haven't been able to destroy. The only problem we have at all with them is Kharma keeps stashing them where Shiva can't find them

I don't know about the NILIF issue.

Mine have access to all of their toys - or would if Miss Kharma would stop hiding and hoarding!

I second that. Brady loves the Orbee toys too, although I am surprised that He was actually able to tear a chunk of his orbee bone (the big one) off if the monster girls could not. Maybe he could give those two a run for their money after all, Renee . He would probably like two big girls to romp around with and tackle. He does that to Jenny all of the time.

But back to the subject, his toys are always out and he always has access to them when he is inside, and I leave a few under his gazebo for him to play with too.

I guess it is really just up to the owner and the individual dog's personality as to how much access you want him to have to his toys.
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 AM
Top Dog

Goldens love to carry plush toys, so we've got many!! Chip likes his Kong only when he wants a treat in it. He plays with his balls and likes to roll it under the futon or china cabinet and ask me to get it. The ropes are only good for tug of wars with his cousins . Sqeeky plastic toys don't last long. Nyla bones too, so we usually have a couple of real bones. All go into a basket in the kitchen. When Hunter's over, Hunter loves to empty the whole basket !!
Old 05-17-2005, 11:08 AM
pointer/labrador/terrier

all my dogs had to learn not to tear up their toys..especially the plush ones..i could never afford the expensive things like orbee..wish i could have..but one by one they have all learned..even Victor not to shred..we did have a pile of them on top of the fridge for repair..now he does fine..but in order to teach that u have to have your eye on them all the time..i cannot count the times i had to say ohoh..as i picked up stuffing..look what u did..oh my..and put in in the trash..now it's gone..sad sad...can be taught tho..and now they love the talking toys that are out for children..little bear was always bronki's favorite, and big bird was talking this morning,,one two buckle your shoe as Mary and Vic tenderly played "tug" without ripping it..now we never have the plush ones outside..that is always where things get to ruff..there they have a rope to play tug with. Victor has his own little bear now..it is that child's giggle that pleased Bronki so..they have a rooster that crows too..once i thought if i hear that rooster one more time my brains will run out..then i looked over and Bronki was just grinning as he nosed it over and over again. I would never let a puppy play with a plush toy unattended.and in the beginning i removed eyes and noses that could be choking hazards..Victor got a giggling happy face that vibrates for his adopt day...those have always been the absolute best..i like to rotate toys..so it is like a new one all over again in a few weeks.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-17-2005, 11:26 AM
Felurian

Bogo, the grrrrls just love to put their Orbees toward the back of their mouths and bite down over and over and over. You can actually see Shiva go into a trance, lol! They don't tear at them with their front teeth. They've got the giant sized ones so it's a real exercise. Now Bimmer could probably tear one if he were so inclined. His front teeth are actually much, much larger than the grrrrls - and don't think they aren't well aware of that, lol!

I can just see the look of surprise on Brady's face the first time he saw both grrrrls charging him! They'd have a blast together after that initial shock. And I'd definitely want a full roll of film in the camera, lol!

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Big Dog

My dogs have a big basket full of all kinds of toys.

Scooter favors anything that barks, quacks, squeeks, honks - if it makes a noise and not matter what its made of he plays with them all. Some mornings he will have a theme going where he is playing with all of his bird like toys, he had a squeeky pelican, a duck that quacks and a mallard that honks.

Cidney likes small plush toys and he usually plays with one pretty consistantly for a while before he turns his attention to another. I started buying a brand that has a velcro opening so I can replace the squeeky and Cidney gets so excited when i replace the squeeky in those toys.

As far as how long do they get to play with their toys and that sort of thing, the boys have no time limits. I have to say they are pretty good about keeping their toys confined to our bedroom and if they do leave any in the other parts of the house I just toss them back into the toy basket. I have to keep an eye on Cindy though, he likes to take his little fluffy toys outside with him and i dont know how many times they have gotten wet or dirty. Scooter keeps his toys inside and loves to roll ontop on them, he cracks me up when he does this.
Old 05-18-2005, 01:36 PM
pointer/labrador/terrier

dont waste your money on the talking ball..i found one at the thrifty store and we have tested it on several dogs..not one was interested.

Go Petie Go Go Who Go!

love comes in many directions with mary

Side by side on the sofa sat three annoyed dogs and one smug cat
and then in came a little white kitten,
Old 05-18-2005, 02:57 PM
Love my pets

Don't worry Bogolove, Max will be there to help Brady out with Shiva & Kharma!!!!!

Stuffed toys don't last too long in this house as Max loves to take them apart. I have to agree that the Orbee toys are the best. Kona discovered the big planet dog ball and rolls it around all over the kitchen.

The only toys they all might get in an argument over is the stuffed ones. They seem to have no problems with the Orbee or Kong toys. They are all over the house.