Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-11-2007, 07:52 PM
Top Dog

Agree !!! I wouldn't go by size or shedding . You want a family member ! Decide on a breed and then check out the breed clubs in your area for recommended litters . Or just keep checking Petfinders and your local HS.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-17-2007, 06:56 PM
Has the siamese disease

Akitas will deffinatly shed, by the way. I live in a small 1 bedroom apartment with a cat and a 55lb. pit bull mix. I take him on 2/1hr walks a day and take 1 or 2 trips to the dog park once a week. He just needs lots of exercise but he does great in the apartment ^.^

***Kitty's name is Tsume ***
Old 05-22-2007, 11:08 PM
Puppy Dog

I would look at Petfinder.com and find a nice lab mix. Labs are GREAT dogs, very intelligent, wonderful with kids and always willing to play. They do shed, but it's not so bad if you brush the dog daily. Some can get fairly big, but there are also just as many that never top 50. My lab is now going on 10months and is at almost 80 pounds, but he doesn't take up a whole lot of room or get too rambunctious if we give him a fair amount of exercise. Labs/lab mixes are also usually the last to be adopted (particularly if they are black) because people find them "ordinary" looking. It's such a shame....they really are great dogs. Good luck in whatever you decide. I'm so glad you're doing some research!
Old 05-27-2007, 03:09 AM
Top Dog

I haven't read any of the posts but yes any 'breeder' in my opinion that breeds any mix isn't a good breeder and any breeder that breeds more than 2 breeds at the same time generally isn't great either.
What came immediately to mind for your family is a miniature poodle. Poodles of any size are fantastic family dogs (though a toy might be too fragile for younger kids) They are low shed (all dogs lose a bit of hair) inteligent, trainable, and love everything (I have owned one poodle and known many and most love everything) They do require regular visits to the groomer and if you want any length to the hair you will need to brush regularily as well. Since they are intelligent it is recommended to do obediance or agility or atleast give the dog good exercise and basic obedience so you give the dog daily mind and body exercise to keep it from getting into trouble from boredom.
and an added bonus is that a well bred well groomed poodle is GORGEOUS!!!
Here is a quick pic of my small mini Stryder