Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-07-2007, 01:56 PM
Looking for a new puppy

Thank you for the links. I am looking at them now.

Actually, thinking about it, wasn't "Whoodles" the name of an 80s Cartoon??
<insert explitive>! I am showing my age!

What question to the group? How do they determine prices on these pups? Seems like they differ so much. Is it by demand?
Old 05-07-2007, 02:29 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moni View Post
What question to the group? How do they determine prices on these pups? Seems like they differ so much. Is it by demand?
For mixed breed "designer dogs", the price is based on the amount of profit that the seller thinks he can make. Puppy mills produce in mass quantities so they can sell each dog to a pet store for $200. The pet store can turn around and show 10 dogs in its window and sell them for $2,000.

Reputable breeders price their puppies to cover their value, their guarantee, and all of the work that has gone into ensuring that they are great specimens of their breed.
Old 05-07-2007, 02:49 PM
Top Dog

Hello Moni! I am hoping you'll go to akc.org and make a detailed list of potential breeds to suite your family. Then print out a list of sanctioned shows coming to your area. With that information, hit a few dog shows this summer and meet breeders in your area. You'll want to stay away from breeder/brokers like Dakotawinds, puppymills, petstores and such. Rescueing and purchasing a puppy from someone deliberating altering the breed standard, (and in a very negative way) trying to create designer breeds or mass producing puppies, only keeps them in business, as others have stated. While a St. Poodle or Wheaton terrier are lovely dogs, they are not breeds I'd recommmend for someone with a 3 yr. old, anyone with allergies or someone that lives in a harsher climate. Neither of these breeds meet all of your criteria. Look up the Hunte coorporation and the many negative articles attached to their company and the puppy mills in your area, that they support. That should give you the incentive to hit the shows, talk to breeders and have a "hands on" experience with the breeds you're considering. Good luck!
Old 05-07-2007, 02:55 PM
I Love My Belgian

I know you aren't looking for a big dog, but I have to agree that a standard poodle would be great. How about an American cocker spaniel? They have a terrible reputation for being bad with children but if you get one from a good breeder you should not have that trouble -- they are very very sweet dogs with a very family oriented temperament. I see many of them, being a dog groomer, and the ones that come from show breeders all have excellent temperaments and have very loving demeanors. Personally I would skip the wheaton -- they are terriers by nature, very similar to schnauzers in temperament. They have a large need for exercise and are prone to jumping up and doing other things that show off their athletic ability. In my own experience they wouldn't suit a child household as they are less tolerant of touching and handling and tend to be jumpy and easily spooked.

Quote:
Someone who does alot of showing/trialling is likely to charge more as these hobbies are very expensive. If their dogs are high in demand, they may charge more. But most of it is just personal preferance. I could charge $1500 for my dogs but I feel that is unfair to the potential owners I really become friends with and so I charge much less.
Old 05-07-2007, 06:50 PM
Looking for a new puppy

Unbelievable isn't it really? Maybe I really am naive about all of this. So if I understand this right:

Puppy mills are those people that just mass produce any type of pup and sell to pet store.

I believe I understand the "designer dog" idea. However it is kind of interesting how people think that by breeding 2 types will only bring the positive traits and no negative traits. That part doesn't make sense to me. And wouldn't you think you would need SOME type of training in this area, not just put 2 dogs together and say "well do your thing" and out comes this "perfect designer puppy" with a name that sounds like an Italian pasta??

I am a little unclear about "brokers" however. Can someone explain further?
And DakotaWinds in SD, this place people on here have heard of before?

This all leads me to another questions, why aren't there regulations against this type of stuff?

Yes I realize I may be pushing my total # of questions allowed in one day, but this is incredible information everyone is giving me. If I would not have followed my gut and posted, I could very well have been on the way to SD to get a puppy!!

Thank you so much!
~Moni
Old 05-07-2007, 07:19 PM
Top Dog

Oh yes, we know DakotaWinds. Use the search function to dig-up some of the old posts concerning them.

Training doesn't matter. People are willing to order dogs off the internet. Dogs who have had no socialization at all and frequently come with kennel cough, worms, or even parvo. These mills just do not care. They're there to make money off of a trend.

There are regulations against inhumane treatment but frequently the minimum requirements to pass inspection are horrible for the dogs and there are very few inspectors. Some states only have one inspector. Other states, like South Dakota and Minnesota and Pennsylvania, don't have strong animal protection laws so that's where the millers go to operate. It's just awful.
People may scoff at you, who see not the lightest blade of grass bent by his footfall, who hear no whimper pitched too fine for mere audition, people who may never really have had a dog. Smile at them, for you shall know something that is hidden from them and which is well worth the knowing. - Lord Byron
Old 05-07-2007, 07:30 PM
Top Dog

We had a wonderful Bedlington terrier growing up, and they meet some of your requirements. A nice medium size, basically non-shedding (I know all non-shedding breeds shed some, but we never saw a stray hair in the house), and he was great with us kids, although I think I was more like 9 when we got him. They are supposed to be one of the softer terriers temperment wise. They do need regular clipping, and some people don't like the look (although we altered the bits we didn't like over the years.

Good luck with your search! It's always nice to see people learning before they buy, rather than after!

Old 05-07-2007, 07:44 PM
Walks into Mordor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moni View Post
Unbelievable isn't it really? Maybe I really am naive about all of this. So if I understand this right:

Puppy mills are those people that just mass produce any type of pup and sell to pet store.

I believe I understand the "designer dog" idea. However it is kind of interesting how people think that by breeding 2 types will only bring the positive traits and no negative traits. That part doesn't make sense to me. And wouldn't you think you would need SOME type of training in this area, not just put 2 dogs together and say "well do your thing" and out comes this "perfect designer puppy" with a name that sounds like an Italian pasta??

I am a little unclear about "brokers" however. Can someone explain further?
And DakotaWinds in SD, this place people on here have heard of before?

This all leads me to another questions, why aren't there regulations against this type of stuff?

Yes I realize I may be pushing my total # of questions allowed in one day, but this is incredible information everyone is giving me. If I would not have followed my gut and posted, I could very well have been on the way to SD to get a puppy!!

Thank you so much!
~Moni
Keep asking away! We don't mind at all.

First of all, the puppymill question. A puppy mill is basically an entity that produces large amounts of puppies as a commodity. While some puppy mills do sell to pet stores, there are many that do not.

Puppy mills can pull a chameleon act. They feature websites with such tidbits like "Our family has been raising puppies for 20 years!", and often have pictures of their children cuddling the pups. But further investigation will show up to 15 or more breeding females housed in kennels, with anywhere from 10-20 puppies available for sale at any given time.

And it's important to mention backyard breeders in this one. Backyard breeders, while not as bad as puppy mills, also have a negative impact. Backyard-bred pups are the ones you see most often listed in the newspaper ads. Backyard breeders, while not necessarily trying to make money off their dogs, are ignorant as to what responsible breeding is. For example, they have an AKC registered dog and decide to breed it, they want the kids to experience the miracle of birth, or they wanted Fluffy to have a litter so they can "have a pup just like her." Once again, these are breeders to avoid.

For your designer dog question, you hit it right on the head. Designer dog breeders point to such things as "hybrid vigor" or, with all the poodle crosses, call them "non-shedding"...even though a goldendoodle puppy is just as likely to shed like a golden retriever as it is to be a non-shedder. It's all about the merchandise and how they sell.

As for regulation...well, it's pretty nonexistent. Dogs are considered by law as property/merchandise. Breeders are expected to comply with FDA guidelines (for the big puppy mills, anyway), but those are the same guidelines for all livestock: food, water, shelter and health care. That's about it.

Last edited by Gempress; 05-07-2007 at 08:03 PM.
Old 05-08-2007, 09:54 PM
Looking for a new puppy

Wow the internet makes it so much more easier to research this stuff.

I found some puppies here at a local rescue shelter that might be of interest to our family. Yes I understand the time involved in training puppies. Lord knows growing up our family did its share of it. I will probably need to research house training for them.

Anyway, need some opinions on the American Staffordshire Terrier. Does anyone have experience with this breed? Growing up we had German Shepherds, Labs, etc so I am totally unfamiliar with this type.

Here is a link to the pups my hubby and I are looking at:

http://www.geocities.com/kishmackin/Puppies.html

Thanks in advance!

Moni
Old 05-08-2007, 11:03 PM
Top Dog

I personally love pits of any sort so I would say they may work well. They need good training and socialization because they tend to be dog aggressive if not raised right. They are supposed to be great family dogs otherwise. They just get a horrible reputation. Good luck with your search!