Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-07-2007, 11:36 AM
Looking for a new puppy

Question Need help in finding a puppy (with my eyes open!)

I am new to this forum and found it by searching on a breed of dog that I was interested in. I thought I was "Dog-Savvy" as I have had dogs in my family my entire life. It is quite possible I could have been duped if not for a poster with regards to the breeder:

http://www.dakotawinds.homestead.com/

There was quite a lengthy discussion on this breeder and how she seems unethical. Obviously I don't want to get involved in this but I was interested in the "Hush Bassett". So, I guess I am naive and now I am looking for REAL help.

Yes we have bought puppies in the past from the Humane Society and the pet store and from a breeder. I have had success in all of these but now I am trying to do much research in the area and do it the right way.

We are looking for a puppy that has little to no shedding, good family dog as we have 2-13 yr old boys and an almost 3 yr old and we want to be able to have this dog in the house. I have ideas on dogs I like and don't like, but where do you start the search?? ANY ANY ANY information, please help. I thought I was on the right track as we were going to go to the above woman's house but now i don't know...

Thoughts?? Thank you in advance

~Moni
Old 05-07-2007, 11:43 AM
Walks into Mordor

You came to the right place! You have very specific needs, so I would go with a purebred. I think a standard poodle would be a good fit. Non-shedding, intelligent and a good family dog. Or if you'd like something a little smaller, go with a bichon frise. Also non-shedding, but robust enough to handle an active family.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:48 AM
Looking for a new puppy

How do you determine who are good breeders however? A part of me wants to go get one of the puppies from this woman just to save them! Sigh..makes me so darn mad and sad at the same time. I have a soft heart for animals and to think she might be doing something unethical...If I had enough money I would buy the whole lot of them!
Old 05-07-2007, 11:54 AM
Walks into Mordor

A good breeder will:

-Have titles on their dogs and be proud of it. They want to produce only the best examples of the breed, so they'll only breed dogs with titles. Beware of breeders who say things like "Oh, all showing proves is that a dog can strut around a ring."

-Have their dogs health tested and certified free of potential health problems. For example, OFA certification on hips to prove they're free of dysplasia. The health testing required can vary from breed to breed. Health testing can only be done after 2 years of age, so beware the breeder who claims his year-old female is certified.

--They'll have a contract and a guarantee on their puppies. If it's a "pet-quality" puppy, they'll require it to be spayed or neutered. Beware of places that boast a 48-hour health guarantee! (Yes, you'll actually see that) Good breeders will often guarantee their pups for years.

--Also, good breeders will often have a wait list for puppies, since they only have a few litters each year.
Old 05-07-2007, 11:56 AM
I run with scissors

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moni View Post
How do you determine who are good breeders however? A part of me wants to go get one of the puppies from this woman just to save them! Sigh..makes me so darn mad and sad at the same time. I have a soft heart for animals and to think she might be doing something unethical...If I had enough money I would buy the whole lot of them!

I always feel this way too, but you have to keep in mind that if you were to buy those pups..all that is going to happen is that this woman is going to breed a whole new litter of them. You'll just be supporting her!

I would look around for a reputable breeder and then post about it on here. Chances are someone will be familiar with them.

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 05-07-2007, 12:01 PM
Walks into Mordor

For example, here's the site of a good standard poodle breeder.

http://www.galeforcepoodles.com/

The dogs are titled both in obedience and conformation, and notice the proud statement posted on the puppy page?

Quote:
All Poodles bred at Galeforce are thoroughly health tested including but not limited to Hip Dysplasia, vWD, Thyroid, Cerf, SA and DNA'd (testing documentation on OFA or in writing by request).
This breeder even offers a lifetime guarantee on all genetic defects.

That's what you're looking for. A breeder who is up-front with what he or she can offer: health testing, titles, and good dogs. Stay away from breeders who offer excuses or try to avoid answering questions about health and titles directly. Compare this site with that designer puppymill you posted, and you can see a world of difference.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:24 PM
Bored Now.

I love the poodle suggestion for you... However, I have one more suggestion to make, and since you have dog experience this is something to think about. With several young children, can you handle a puppy at this point in time? Getting up every hour or so to potty train, the messes, chewing, etc? If you think you can't handle a puppy at the moment, it might be a great idea to think about rescue. A good rescue can help you find a dog perfect for you.

Also.. if shedding is an issue.. I would suggest NOT getting a large dog. Even large dogs that have below-average shedding still shed more than medium size or small dogs that shed a lot. (By "large" I mean mastiff/st bernard size... the more surface area, the worse the shed)

I'll try to think up some breeds for you, but my brain is fried at the moment, so I'll do that later when thinking isn't so impossible.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:42 PM
Looking for a new puppy

Oh I agree about the large dog. I guess I wasn't clear.

We are thinking a small/medium dog for the family. We thought for an adult size at the most 30-40 lbs would be good. That way it isn't such a HUGE dog in the house. My husband had a lhaso (spelling?) and said that they were a great dog. I have really only had big, big dogs (think St. Bernards, German Shepherds, Labs) so the Small/Medium area is new to me and exciting as well.

With regards to your puppy comment, that is true so maybe i don't want exactly a 6 week old but a 3 month old or older? I don't have a clue what age is appropriate to adopt anymore. I have been researching rescues (most productive day personally, not so much work-wise heehe) but it is hard when you are not sure what type of dog you want.

If you think of any good ones, send them my way. I saw these Whoodles and Wheaten Terriers..very interesting dogs.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:49 PM
I run with scissors

Quote:
If you think of any good ones, send them my way. I saw these Whoodles and Wheaten Terriers..very interesting dogs.

Prepare for the upcoming lecture about mixed breeds....I'm too tired to give it, but I'm sure someone will.....

"The one best place to bury a good dog is in the heart of his master." -Ben Hur Lampman

I miss you every day, Charlie. You were my teacher, my playmate, and my best friend. Together, we did what we set out to do, and I am so proud of us for that.
Old 05-07-2007, 01:52 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
I saw these Whoodles and Wheaten Terriers..very interesting dogs.
Whoodles are another "designer dog" bred by unscrupulous breeders that are just looking for profit.

I was just about to suggest a Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier for you.

Have you looked at:

http://www.wheatenterrierrescue.org/

The Soft Coated Wheaten Terrier Club of America. http://www.scwtca.org

I am familiar with this breed so please PM me if you have any specific questions.