Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-11-2007, 02:57 AM
BusterLove

lol. i love borzois. russian wolfhound is the other name right?
i do think they're gorgeous.

i learnt a heap of dog names when i was really little. my auntie had a "complete dog encyclopedia" and i would sit with it for hours looking at all the pictures and reading the names. smooth collie was my favourite back then. lol

Old 05-11-2007, 03:13 AM
BusterLove

on the other hand. the next person that asks you could just tell them infact it isn't as dog. but a knew rare breed of donkey. see how gullable they relaly are

Old 05-11-2007, 03:23 AM
Rebel With Cause

ACDs
Shedding ( they don't blow coat they explode it for months)
Hardheadedness... Stubborn as all get out you have to understand them
Aggressiveness to both people and other dogs
barking...Thank god Whiskey is quiet because Kahlua makes up for it and she was debarked !!!
trouble making.. comes from lack of something to do
excessive compulsive behavior.. something I call their ritual of annoyance

It takes a person with more knowledge then most of how to handle these dogs. If you know what you are doing they are the greatest in the world but if you do not they become one of the worst which happens to a lot of these guys. I am glad they are not on the most popular list.
Old 05-11-2007, 03:25 AM
Ruled by a RED boy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aussie Red View Post
ACDs
Shedding ( they don't blow coat they explode it for months)
Hardheadedness... Stubborn as all get out you have to understand them
Aggressiveness to both people and other dogs
barking...Thank god Whiskey is quiet because Kahlua makes up for it and she was debarked !!!
trouble making.. comes from lack of something to do
excessive compulsive behavior.. something I call their ritual of annoyance

It takes a person with more knowledge then most of how to handle these dogs. If you know what you are doing they are the greatest in the world but if you do not they become one of the worst which happens to a lot of these guys. I am glad they are not on the most popular list.
Exactly what I was going to say....Well said Joyce!!
Old 05-11-2007, 06:21 AM
BusterLove

they're VERY popular over here. like every second house has one. the only dogs that have ever acted aggresivley at me have been ACD's. i'm glad it didn't really effect me. their my favourite breed. equal there with kelpie and koolies. i dunno if i'll ever be without one now.

your right baout them being difficult. buster isn't easy but he's so sweet at home... he doesn't bark much though. only if someone is actually near the house. people just walking past he just stares down

Old 05-11-2007, 10:51 AM
My house is a zoo

German Shepherd:
1. size
2. bad reputation (especially where I live)
3. shedding

Beagle:
1. they bark... a LOT
2. tendency to wander
3. stubborness in training

Jack Russell:
1. their reputation as "biters"
2. they also bark... a LOT
3. high energy levels

Cavalier:
I actually don't really know... I had never met one before Sammy's mom... and Sammy's only half that so I can't really say.

Sheltie:
1. barking
2. energy level and their constant need for something to do
3. shedding
Old 05-11-2007, 11:04 AM
Lord Cynical

Dobermans... let's see.... this is all speculation of course...

1. Those that want a family dog seem to think dobes are evil, bad dogs that have exploding brainds and like to eat babies...
2. Those that want a "badass" dog will get a bully type or a rottie first.
3. People seem to think that dobes are "too big".

Morado Dobermans... and Talla the Mexidog too! (group photo pending)
Old 05-11-2007, 06:18 PM
Big Dog

Basset Hounds...popular as puppies, and then it all goes to pot from there for the breed, unfortunately. Just look at the # of basset rescues in the states! Most of the dogs are adults and seniors.

1. The drool...yes, some do drool, but not all. And when they shake their pendulous jowls, they can sling that drool six foot up onto kitchen cabinets, etc. To non-fanciers, this is hideous. To us basset people, the drool is some sort of magic elixir, which brings us laughs, and some claim it brings them good luck. Personally, while it's gross, I find it rather comical.

2. You mean they don't stay that small as adults??? What??? This is another thing a lot of people don't seem to grasp when they bring their cute little squishy basset pup home...that smooshy puppy will soon evolve into a large squishy dog on short legs, possibly as large as 75 lbs or more. And, many bassets like to pretend they're a lot smaller, and enjoy draping their saggy carcasses all over you, smother you, for a long, farty, snoring nap.

3. Aaahhhrrrrooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! A lonely basset hound could mean a loud, howling, mournful, barking hound. A basset really has a strong desire to be included in family activities, and really needs to belong to a pack...leaving a basset hound alone for 6-10 hours a day will make him/her miserable, and when bored and lonely, they bay, and howl. LOUDLY.

4. Bassets DO shed. Some shed A LOT. Whoever said these dogs don't shed, needs their head examined. They need a regular brushing like any other breed.

5. Potty training issues. A lot of basset owners can testify to the fact that this breed seems like it takes forever to house-train...that's because for a lot of hounds, this is true. This is an aspect that requires a bit more patience for this particular breed...although there's exceptions. Some bassets do pick up on it at the same rate as any other breed.

6. Counter-cruising, fridge opening, garbage-tipping...basset people, you know what I'm talking about. If it related to food, the basset's nose goes into over-drive, and satisfying the tummy is numero uno on the agenda in the life of this breed. Of course, this makes for obese bassets...and a fat basset, means a basset with leg and spinal problems. Bad, bad, bad!!!!!!!!!

7. "Why the heck does my basset hound flop on the sidewalk during our afternoon walk, and tries to take a nap???" Because that's what your basset FEELS like doing. Don't you know that bassets must train their OWNERS???

8. One NEEDS a fenced-in yard with this breed...unless you're prepared to take the dog out on a lead, each and every time it is outdoors. They'll follow their nose into the sunset, and never look back, if you don't.

9. The infamous "houndie smell." Personally, this isn't an issue for me, as any hound I've known isn't stinky. Here's a suggestion to those who think bassets smell funky...feed the dog a good food, bathe and groom regularly, wipes, and KEEP THOSE EARS CLEAN!!! Clean the ears once weekly, to keep infections and gunk at bay. This makes for a much more fragrant companion.

I couldn't imagine life without a basset. To me, they define comedy, devotion, and all things enduring. There are A LOT of folks out there that disagree with me.
Old 05-11-2007, 07:13 PM
Top Dog

I'm really surprised that Irish Setter owners and breeders haven't done more for the breed. I grew up with one . Beautiful dog , but dumb as a rock !! When he died , ( I was 13 ...) I researched other hunting dogs for my Dad and found Golden Retrievers.

http://mauzysmusings.blogspot.com/
Old 05-12-2007, 10:11 AM
CrAbS 4 WoRlD dOmInAtIoN!

Pit bulls are banned here so thats one reason they're not popular!