Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-17-2005, 09:47 AM
Puppy Dog

Default Costco dog food

Anyone feed their dogs this?
Old 05-17-2005, 09:59 AM
Felurian

No Costco around here, but I wouldn't feed that type of commercial dog food. The ingredients commonly used in the feeds marketed through that type of store are used because they're the absolute cheapest available. Just a toxic soup.

The first two things I look for - before I bother to examine any of the specific ingredients or nutrient percentages are human grade ingredients and organic. "All natural" doesn't cut it because it means nothing. If I don't see those two phrases I don't even bother wasting my time looking any further at the ingredient or nutrient information.

Stupid is the most notoriously incurable and contagious disease known to mankind. If you find yourself in close proximity to someone infected with stupid, walk away as soon as said infection is noted.

There are few things more nauseating than pure obedience. ~ Kvothe

***8206;"silence is the language of god, all else is poor translation."
Rumi
Be a god. Know when to shut up.

Good Kharma Tags
Felurian
Old 05-17-2005, 10:06 AM
Puppy Dog

Thanks. I will post the ingredients here later today and hopefully get some feedback. I took your advice and looked at Mordy's site and I have to say it was overwhelming but knowing the importance of my dog's health I know I will sit down, read it, and become a fanatic.

This site is great. Glad to know there's a lot of information out there.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:35 AM
Top Dog

Yep I feed it! Its been great!My corgi lost her excess tub on it and the dobe doesn't overstuff himself. It doesn't have all the filler eitheir so there is a lot less poo The only thing I really looked for was that the first ingrediant wasn't corn and I think its chicken(they have lamb too). I think its been great for my pups.

here is the link to the ingredients http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/images/...nd-chicken.jpg

http://www.woodhavenlabs.com/images/kirkland.jpg
Old 05-17-2005, 05:05 PM
Top Dog

Chicken By-Product is the second ingredient listed, and if you are trying to feed your dog on human grade or organic you don't want that in your dogs food. The first few ingredients should be meat, but not a meat by-product.
Old 05-17-2005, 08:51 PM
Top Dog

Dante gets the lamb kirkland brand, and he's pretty darn healthy, with shiny cat, omega 3 acids, etc... and the first two ing are lamb and lamb meal.

Old 05-17-2005, 09:22 PM
Active Pup

That must be an old label. I am staring at a Kirkland Super Premium Chicken and Rice bag and it says

Chicken, chicken meal, whole grain brown rice, cracked pearled barley, chicken fat, yada yada yada....

No by product in this bag
Old 05-17-2005, 10:08 PM
Top Dog

I just found those on a website. I'd copy the bag down but I'm lazy!
Old 05-17-2005, 10:21 PM
Top Dog

LOL! That sounds like me! If I can't find it on the internet, then oh well. I use it for everything, and mostly because I would much rather type something than get up and go downstairs, and look in a phone book, or on a bag, and write it down and come back upstairs.
Old 05-17-2005, 10:24 PM
Top Dog

I'm going to attempt a pic of the label. Just give me a minute

http://photobucket.com/albums/v195/j...t=100_2338.jpg

I'm trying to get a better one but the flash makes the bag shine!

Last edited by joce; 05-17-2005 at 10:35 PM.