Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-18-2005, 08:01 AM
Border Collies R' Us

Oh I will! I can't wait till Friday when I go pick one out!!!
Old 05-18-2005, 08:20 AM
Love my pets

So happy to hear about your new puppy! Can't wait to see a pic! I know what you mean about bringing your pets to some rescue places. One place wanted me to bring both dogs & both cats to make sure they would all get along. Please, getting along takes time.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

Congrats to you on the pup..but there is something very important here that needs to be brought up here...

You said you will be picking up the new 7 WEEK old pup...this is too young to be taken away from the litter...please wait until at least 8 weeks of age.. a responsible breeder should have let you know this...I don't want to jump to conclusions, but are you sure you're looking at a good breeder here? You need to be extremely careful with the pitbull breed as it is far too exploited and there are way too many people just trying to make a quick buck off of these wonderful dogs...take a look at the responsible breeder checklist here on chazhound...its a great guideline to choosing a good breeder.

Good luck and I hope I'm wrong about this guy.. for your pup's sake.
Old 05-18-2005, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

Pitbulliest...I second that! Pit Bulls are awesome, but it takes a responsible and knowledgeable breeder to make or break their temperment through careless breeding. I would also ask if the parents of the litter ever suffered from Demodectic mange (demodex) This condition is becoming VERY common in this breed and although it is not fatal, it is genetic and represents a weak immune system. It usually takes months of medication and makes your poor little pup loose hair on his body, face, and around eyes! This can be expensive to treat and a lot of times very hard to shake!! The only reason I bring it up, is because when I worked in the vet clinic, almost every pit we saw had this condition...it was like an epidemic for the breed at least here in Oregon. Good luck and I wish you the best with your new pup
Old 05-18-2005, 12:31 PM
Top Dog

I think you see diseases like Parvo in Pitbulls more often because they are a "City" dog (live close to other dogs) and many of the people who are drawn to them are not good owners and ignore their health needs.

-- Puppys age.....Both my dogs were kept with their mother until they were 10 weeks. Both the Breeder (Sal) and Rescue (Athena) felt that 10 weeks was the best age to let the puppies leave the mother.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:13 PM
Border Collies R' Us

My last BC pup I got at 6 weeks. The legal age in PA is 7 weeks.

Anywhere from 6-10 weeks is fine.
Old 05-18-2005, 05:20 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by caseyolee
My last BC pup I got at 6 weeks. The legal age in PA is 7 weeks.

Anywhere from 6-10 weeks is fine.
Physically 6 weeks might be fine but mentally it is best to wait a few more weeks.
Old 05-19-2005, 01:14 PM
Border Collies R' Us

TOMORROW MORNING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm SO excited!

I'm pretty set on the name Diaz, but you never know. I just can't wait. I don't think 11am tomorrow morning can come quick enough. I get so excited over puppies I'm going to hate the hour and forty min drive to get there .....it's going to seem like 12 hours lol.
Old 05-20-2005, 09:10 PM
Border Collies R' Us

Well, I ended up w/ a female pup. Boy, did that screw up my naming strategy LOL

No I have NO idea what to call her. Anyways, here's a pic. She's mostly white. She looks like a holstein cow. I took a couple pics of her, but they aren't the greatest. She wouldn't sit still long enough.

Old 05-20-2005, 09:27 PM
Top Dog

Sooo cute !!! Name her Heffie , Daisy or Claribelle .