Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-26-2005, 09:14 AM
Show Dog

Default Golden Retriever Question

Are some breeders of Golden Retrievers breeding them to be smaller than the average in size? A few times I've seen this guy walking a Golden Retriever that was smaller than what I have ever seen and I kind of like the compact look. I think it would be nice if there were more of them around. Anyone have any thoughts on this?
-----------------------
The DogArt Studio
Old 05-26-2005, 11:27 AM
Top Dog

I would look up the AKC breed standard and read about what size they are suppose to be and stick to that as your guideline. There are breeders all over the place that try to breed "smaller" versions of the real thing for lots of different breeds. I stear clear of this type of breeder as they are usually out for money and marketing! Examples of this are "pocket beagles" "teacup chihuahua" "tiny pugs"...these are all money making schemes. BTW- why would you need a "teacup chi" aren't they small enough already The reason I am against people who breed smaller versions is because certain breeds are bred for a purpose, or to do a job. For example, a Golden is a hunting dog that flushes birds. It needs stamina and endurance to cover ground etc. When you breed it smaller, it may take away some of what is necessary for the breed to do it's job. Good reputable breeders try and preserve the breed the way it is suppose to be...they try to keep it so it can still function doing whatever it was originally bred to do. I will provide an attachment here on the golden's standard. http://www.akc.org/breeds/golden_retriever/index.cfm
Old 05-26-2005, 11:28 AM
no touchy

Actually, some people are breeding golden retrievers and labrador retrievers too large. I believe the AKC standard for labradors is 55-70 lbs.. Many people are breeding labs and goldens to be 100+ lbs.. My Lab, May, is happy and healthy at 63 lbs..
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:29 AM
no touchy

Just checked the AKC standard for goldens....
Quote:
Weight for dogs 65-75 pounds; bitches 55-65 pounds.
What are these tears upon your face?
Soon you will see, all of your fears will pass away.
And you'll be here, in my arms.
Just sleeping.
Old 05-26-2005, 11:37 AM
Top Dog

I agree, too large is also a common problem!! I hear all the time about people and their 100lb. golden or lab...come on, that's rediculous. Tone it down so these dogs can still work!!
Old 05-26-2005, 11:44 AM
Top Dog

I find that they have been breeding goldens with shorter legs and a more compact bodys the last 10 yrs. I love the old big boned goldens of yore. Bubba was within the wicket heighth wise...and about 90 #s.....
Old 05-26-2005, 05:27 PM
Love my pets

My neighbor has 2 english goldens which are smaller than the regular goldens but not by much.
Old 05-26-2005, 05:30 PM
Top Dog

My personal preference is for the big, huge goldens, not those little tiny ones you see anymore. But I rescue and don't care about showing... so, that's just me! (BTW... Bubba was bigger than 90#'s, Mom!!!)
Old 05-27-2005, 01:02 PM
Top Dog

I was afraid to put more as I didn't want people to think he was fat and I was a bad Momma ! I tried to keep him under 100# so I didn't have to give extra heart worm meds !