Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > The Dog Breeds

Old 05-01-2007, 02:47 PM
Puppy Dog

Default Selecting a dog

I want to buy a dog. Give me best possible options which dog should be suitable for me. I live alone in a single apartment and will have time for the dog in the morning and after office at 5 pm. I want to keep him in my room and I want a friendly dog which is also a guard dog and would take him outside daily for a walk. Suggesstions?
Old 05-01-2007, 03:12 PM
Happy

Just some ideas:

1) Get an adult (puppies require frequent walks and, while adorable, are undoable unless you can return home every few hours) Adults can be anything from 6 months to 10 years old. You don't have to adopt an old dog, but remember that the younger the dog, the higher the energy level. Around 2 years, they calm down; ie, they don't run spastically through the house at warp speed.

2) Very small dogs, aka lap dogs (Yorkies, Chihuhuas, etc.) tend to be one-person dogs. If living alone with one person, they tend to be cranky with other people. If you don't want that, you'll need to put some effort into having people over to the apartment regularly, taking the dog to meet others, etc.

3) Very large dogs tend to dominate a small space. Many loyal and slightly blind fans of Great Danes, Rottweilers, Mastiffs, etc., claim that their breeds' quieter nature makes them excellent apartment pets - ie, the Danes are sleeping on the couch while the Fox Terrier is doing backflips off the ceiling. This is likely true; but the bigger the dog, the less space in an apartment, no matter how quiet that dog. And, to be indelicate, the larger the waste product you'll be picking up.

3) Some breeds make life as an apartment-dweller more difficult. Generally, it's harder to find an apartment if your dog is over 25lbs, and various breed restrictions can make it difficult to find a new home if your pet is a Rottweiler, a pit bull, etc.

4) Some breeds are harder to find than others; any shelter in America will have a purebred or mixed-breed Cocker Spaniel, Beagle, and 65 pit bulls and/or mixes. Fewer have Afghan Hounds or Harriers. But the sheer popularity of some breeds means that you have to scrutinize them closer - too many Cockers are snappish by nature, too many pit bulls are dog-aggressive.

5) Pet stores are the clean face of a nasty business; don't waste your money. Breeders, shelters and rescues are the way to go, but you should be cautious there too.

6) Don't get a dog with big exercise needs unless you can fulfill them onleash or have some secure place to run the dog. Offleash dogs in public places are a huge pain for everyone but the owner.
Old 05-01-2007, 05:10 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
3) Some breeds make life as an apartment-dweller more difficult. Generally, it's harder to find an apartment if your dog is over 25lbs, and various breed restrictions can make it difficult to find a new home if your pet is a Rottweiler, a pit bull, etc.
So true. Does your current apartment allow dogs? And does it specify a maximum size / weight?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:20 PM
Top Dog

are you the poster who a few months ago was getting a gsd or doberman? You couldn't decide on the breed? I thought you "got" a GSD?

what happened with that?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:21 PM
Top Dog

actually I looked at your past posts,,in Oct of 06 you were getting a GSD puppy,,so what happened?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:25 PM
and Spy.

I agree with Jynx. I remember you...

~Tucker

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngryMan View Post
I think u need some angry school.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee750il View Post
That's what we do here. We're emotionally invested in each other and each other's dogs, the joys and the sorrows.
Old 05-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

oh, I didn't refresh my memory, but aren't you the one that lives with other people and wanted to keep your dog in the "courtyard"?
Along with wild expectations?
Old 05-02-2007, 06:45 PM
Kaleidoscopic Eye

Yeah he is the one who wanted a dobe or GSD.

Here is the thread he just made the other day, the same basics but in the GDC and he goes into more requirements.

http://www.chazhound.com/forums/show...300#post690300

He signed on this monring but didn't post anything since yesterday when he made the threads.
Old 05-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Top Dog

Quote:
Give me best possible options which dog should be suitable for me
A stuffed one.
Old 05-03-2007, 05:40 AM
BusterLove

i would say rescue a greyhound. they arn't great protectors but most people are convinced they are.

they are huge snuggers and so many of them need help.

plus, they don't need any more excercise than your average dog