Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-04-2007, 12:11 AM
Fishies!

Lightbulb Feeding Cost Spreadsheet

People seem to be having some trouble comparing dog food costs vs bag weight, or kcal density. I made this nice spreadsheet when choosing Buster's food.

Download the spreadsheet, adjust cost per bag for local costs and adjusts cups per day for how much you're feeding your dog. If starting from scratch, there are several calculators to help get an approximate amount of calories per day required.

Food Costs

Innova and Canidae ALS for now. I'll add other foods as I get bored or find the calorie info, PMs for links would be great
Old 05-05-2007, 07:50 AM
<--------Orson

Heck, I wish I would have seen this before we switched to homecooked.........I would have used it just to see what we pay/save, LOL
Old 05-05-2007, 07:33 PM
Fishies!

Yeah, but it can't do home-cooked yet. It needs a different set of formulas. I'll add that... is it bad that I LIKE to play with spreadsheets?

How much are people cutting back for EVO? The calories match, but assuming that the grains are mostly undigested, the EVO kcal total should be lower. (but more usable to the dog) The bag however suggests the same that the Canidae bag suggests, and that was high for Buster on its own.
Old 05-05-2007, 08:29 PM
<--------Orson

Quote:
... is it bad that I LIKE to play with spreadsheets?
Hehehehehehe, Psyfalcon.....My husband is a computer tech/engineering tech! I have learned by now that there are some people with funky, weird, boring, disgusting, or down right WRONG hobbies/interests....LOL

If spreadsheets are your current interests...........GO FOR IT! For me, I would be bored to tears, but hey....I am a Saggitarious hehehehe.......There are way more bizzare hobbies out there!
Old 05-05-2007, 09:03 PM
Who woulda thought <3

I was feeding Chloe 4 cups a day of regular Innova and now that she is on EVO I feed her 3, but I'm thinking about cutting it back a little more..

(I dont have Excel so I couldnt open the spreadsheet)
Old 05-06-2007, 08:20 AM
Salty Sea Dog

nice spreadsheet, that might definatly help out alot of people.

the dane im going to be feeding raw, during the introductory feeding stage it works out its going to cost about $1-$1.50 a day to feed him...once hes used to various meats and i can bargin bin shop that cost should drop even further

I wonder if other dogs think Cresties are members of some weird religious cult?

Adventures In Cluck Clucks, watch them grow @
http://suburbancluckclucks.blogspot.com

Hand Made Fleece Blankets

Old 05-06-2007, 02:13 PM
not so newby

I can't open it
Old 05-06-2007, 02:17 PM
Fishies!

You need Excel or OpenOffice (free, what I use). You then need to save it to the hard drive.

Anyone want to "Admit" to feeding purina type stuff? Now, or in past lives?
Old 05-06-2007, 02:23 PM
not so newby

I'll have to wait till I get to work, no excell on this computer...I'll admit I fed Iams Lamb and Rice about 12yrs ago...and Science Diet when I first got my dogs 5yrs ago...I have since seen the way Before I did research on different foods and talked to different people I honestly thought Science Diet was a good food.
Old 05-06-2007, 05:46 PM
treehugging clicker freak

I fed Eukanuba loyally about 5yrs ago... until I learned the truth about dog food!

Good spreadsheet...
It would be really cool if you could save the format so other users could type in the info for the food their using to see how much of a difference they can be making. . .

Some of your formula cells could use tweaking, and there are some neat tricks you can use to "make it look good" but I'd say Great Job! Glad you like excell, I don't, but now that I know how to use it (since I have to) its okay sometimes lol

Maddie CGC .:. Cocker Spaniel .:. 12 y/o
Bailey CGC .:. Shetland Sheepdog .:. 5 y/o