Dog Site - Dog Stuff
Dog Forum | Dog Pictures

Go Back   Chazhound Dog Forum > Dog Discussions and Dog Talk Forums > Dog Food and Recipes

Old 05-03-2007, 09:14 PM
Top Dog

Default I hope this isn't overkill

I'm looking for validation here, well hoping I'll get some
Where I buy the Innova a 33# bag is $40. It went up. Its not the Evo but the regular adult. Is that expensive to you all? Before it was under $40 + tax and I was ok with it, but now that it's over $40 w/tax I'm not so sure. I bought a small bag of Canidae to start mixing it in, but now I'm 2nd guessing myself and thinking I should suck it up and keep the Innova. I bought my last bag 4/20 and I'm out today.

The chick at the store said it's good to give them variety but the one dog has a wicked sensitive stomach and I don't want to upset her stomach more than I have to so I dont think I'll be switching back and forth. I'd like to find one and stick with it.

Thanks for any opinions.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:18 PM
Your Mom

Personally I think it's good to give them variety, but I prefer to give variety within the same company. I switch between the regular Evo and the RM EVO blends. I can tell you when I go to work on Sat how much we sell the 33# bags for as I'm not sure since I use the Evo and not the regular Innova.
Old 05-03-2007, 09:31 PM
Are You Blowing Me Off?

A 33# bag lasts you from 4/20 - 5/3..., I am sorry but I am just curious and since my brain hardly works, I will ask.. Lol How many dogs are feeding from that bag? And how big are they?

I have 3 dogs, one 94 lbs, and two 70 lbs dogs, and I feed kirkland sig, and have thought about switching to a "better" food, but I think I go thru 2 40#bags a month with my dogs.... maybe a little more.. I guess it doesnt' seem like that much of a difference of feed for a better food.
??
Old 05-03-2007, 10:01 PM
*Finding My Inner Fila*

Kirkland brand ranges from 23-26% protein depending on which food given.

Innova is 557 Kcal/cup and is 24%.

Evo is 43.16% and is 3937 Kcal/kg.

EVO RM is 42.42% and 3992 Kcal/kg .

I wasn't able to find out how many cals/cup Kirkland is but you feed MUCH less of the higher cals/cup food and it lasts a whole lot longer due to that fact. This is also given that people do not feed based on what the bag says but on a diet specific to their dog.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:02 PM
Top Dog

I have 2 german shepherds each 19 months. They get 1 heaping cup from a liquid measuring cup 2x's a day. Not much in my opinion. I measured it out to the dry measuring cups and its just about 1 1/2 cups - so 3 cups a day.
They are both a good weight the boy a bit thin to me, but the trainer says both are fine and will fill out soon. For those calorie counters its 1671 total a day.
is that too much?

they are btwn 65-70 # - normal sized, the female is a tad taller. I haven't weighed them in 3 months.

Last edited by whackichic; 05-03-2007 at 10:05 PM. Reason: their size
Old 05-03-2007, 10:07 PM
Are you dead yet?

$40 for a bag of Innova seems reasonable to me, it's just a bit over $1.20 per pound.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:37 PM
Twin 2.0

I pay $45 for a 33 pound bag of Innova, you're lucky!

I was feeding a 67 pound Lab and my 50 pound Aussie out of a 33lb bag and it was lasting me a month and a half. The Aussie gets 1 cup twice a day and the Lab got 1 1/2 cups twice a day...so 5 cups doled out total. Your bags should be lasting you a lot longer than that...
Old 05-03-2007, 10:56 PM
Top Dog

I know I'm not feeding them in my sleep. I swear they each get 1 heaping 1 cup (the liquid cup) each twice daily. They would have diarhea or be fat if it was more. So that's 6 cups total they get. Right? I'm on new meds and am pumped full of hormones that are making my head spin and stuff, but I think I'm saying that right. I thought dam this is going by fast but I haven;t increased their food at all.
If $40 is normal then ok, I just wasn't sure if that was alot or not.
Old 05-03-2007, 10:59 PM
Twin 2.0

1 cup as in 8 ounces, right?
Old 05-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Top Dog

Yup, the 1 cup l(8 oz) liquid measuring cup. I fill it to the rim and dump it in the bowl. I put a dry cup and 1/2 dry cup and it filled up almost the same.
What am I missing?

wait a second --- they each get 1 cup each (full to the rim), 2x's a day which equals 4 not 6.... egads I embarrass myself.

Last edited by whackichic; 05-03-2007 at 11:13 PM. Reason: I'm a math moron